PDA

View Full Version : I hate hanging doors

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I switched out a pocket door for a hinged door on the master bath over the past few days. Lived with the slider long enough - I guess I hate pocket doors more than hanging a new hinged one. Why would anyone think fiddling with a pocket door every time you go in the bathroom is a good idea. This house was built in 1994. Maybe everyone else left it open?

I hate hanging doors. Apparently, I hate pocket doors even more.

I can handle trim work, framing, plumbing, roofing.... doors - hate doing it.

There, I feel better now.

Jim Rimmer
07-21-2010, 1:12 PM
If they can't be rehabilitated during incarceration then hanging doors is the only alternative.

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2010, 1:37 PM
If they can't be rehabilitated during incarceration then hanging doors is the only alternative.

LOL, although in Canada we're not allowed to do that:D

Regards, Rod.

Art Mulder
07-21-2010, 3:37 PM
I switched out a pocket door for a hinged door on the master bath over the past few days. Lived with the slider long enough - I guess I hate pocket doors more than hanging a new hinged one. Why would anyone think fiddling with a pocket door every time you go in the bathroom is a good idea. This house was built in 1994. Maybe everyone else left it open?

Hah.

I did the exact opposite. We lived with a swinging door in the Master EnSuite for a few years and then I ripped it out and put in a pocket door.

Reason one is that the swinging door, which is left open most of the time, blocked the heating vent.
Reason two is that a pocket door takes up far less space, and doesn't hit anyone standing in front of the sink when it is opened.

A good pocket door should slide just fine, and ours does.

Mitchell Andrus
07-21-2010, 5:30 PM
It's odd... the swinging door I installed swings towards the tub, away from the sink. It doesn't block anything when open 'cept about 1/3 of tub. Also, the toilet/shower area has another pocket door of its own. There's really no reason for two of the them in the same bathroom.

I hated using the first and never use the second.

The other two baths are smaller and they have swinging doors that again don't block anything when open. I really think someone didn't think the process all the way through when the house was still on paper.

Jim Rimmer
07-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I think pocket doors have their place but sounds like in the design of your bathrooms, that wasn't the place. I had a custom home built several years ago and I had one put between the kitchen and great room. It was a door that would seldom be closed; maybe only when the dishwasher was running. A swinging door interfered in the kitchen and made furntiure arrangement a problem in the great room. That was, IMO, a good place.

Don Alexander
07-21-2010, 11:57 PM
they were supposed to think? :D:D

Jay Jolliffe
07-22-2010, 5:52 AM
You mean you don't like hanging doors when the jamb is not plum ,square & the floor is not level......there's a challenge.:D:D

Paul Greathouse
07-22-2010, 7:00 AM
Mitchell

We need to be neighbors. I would gladly do all your door hanging in exchange for you doing my roofing and plumbing.
I do all my own plumbing and hate every minute of it but I pay for roofing work, I'm 6'4" so bending over that far all day long is something I try to avoid at all costs.

Rich Engelhardt
07-22-2010, 7:04 AM
I can handle trim work, framing, plumbing, roofing.... doors - hate doing it
LOL!
One man's pleasure is another man's pain I guess!

I despise anything that has to do with plumbing! So much so in fact, that if I had my life to live over again, I'd have been a plumber by trade!
Why?
Well, simple, if I have to do it, by gum, I'm going to get paid a pretty penny for it!!
;)

Doors?
Luv em! So much so that I'm trying my best to find a way to justify a PC 59381!

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 7:15 AM
Love plumbing, electrical, studwork, etc. I know juuuuust enough to get by when it comes to concrete work, but if it requires a quality footer, wall, etc. I'd have to do some more reading. For now, I'd probably bring someone else in to do any concrete or roofing, I think I could handle everything else.

And I enjoy it, too! Though you'd never know it as I rarely have the time to actually DO it. My basement is still half-finished because I got the project going and ran out of time. I really need to get back into it...