PDA

View Full Version : Winged Mesquite

Brad Schmid
12-06-2004, 1:03 PM
This is Honey Mesquite, about 17" at it's widest point. It wasn't easy to find a large piece of crotch Mesquite with no wind checks... I really like working with Mesquite for it's wonderful rich colors and thick bark. This was alot of fun.
Thanks to Bill Grumbine for posting so many of his superb examples of winged creations in the past that stir the imagination of those like me.

Thanks for looking :)
Cheers,
Brad

Steve Inniss
12-06-2004, 5:25 PM
Brad, rich color is right, very nice. I have never used Mesquite, it looks quite hard. The name sort of sounds hard to me - is it? -Steve

Jim Ketron
12-06-2004, 5:45 PM
Very Nice work Brad !!!!!
the figure in that wood is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Glenn Hodges
12-06-2004, 5:46 PM
Wow! I like that color, what kind of finish did you use. Beautiful roll on the lip.

Dick Parr
12-06-2004, 5:56 PM
Outstanding Brad!

Rick Prevett
12-06-2004, 6:03 PM
Beatiful piece Brad! I really like that you incorporated the entire crotch into the work. I've got some pieces that scream to look like that. I'm saving this pic to my 'Forms to shoot for' folder.

Bill will be proud.

rick

Brad Schmid
12-06-2004, 6:21 PM
Brad, rich color is right, very nice. I have never used Mesquite, it looks quite hard. The name sort of sounds hard to me - is it? -Steve

Steve,
Mesquite is very hard. The relative hardness of Mesquite is 2345 pounds per square inch. For comparison: Hickory/Pecan=1820, Hard Maple=1450, Red Oak=1290, Walnut=1010, Cherry=950, so you can get an idea how hard it really is.

Also, I like working with Mesquite for it's dimensional stability. The dimensional change coefficient of Mesquite is .00129 compared to: Hickory/Pecan=.0041, Hard Maple=.00353, Red Oak=.00369, Walnut=.00274, Cherry=.00248. Very stable.

So Mesquite combines hardness and stability into one package so to speak. However, you need to be willing to make the trip to the grinder quite often to keep the tools sharp ;)

Cheers,
Brad

Brad Schmid
12-06-2004, 6:26 PM
Wow! I like that color, what kind of finish did you use. Beautiful roll on the lip.

Glenn,

The finish is simply natural Watco. It's wonderful for bringing out the characteristics of the wood. Buffed of course...

Cheers,
Brad

Brad Schmid
12-06-2004, 6:53 PM
Very Nice work Brad !!!!!
the figure in that wood is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Outstanding Brad!

Beatiful piece Brad! I really like that you incorporated the entire crotch into the work. I've got some pieces that scream to look like that. I'm saving this pic to my 'Forms to shoot for' folder.

Bill will be proud.

rick

Thanks Jim, Dick and Rick for your most gracious comments :)

Cheers,
Brad

Gary Max
12-06-2004, 7:10 PM
That is very cool. I have turned a couple of these winged bowls and just love them.
I really like the way you used the crotch---it makes the bowl outstanding.
Thanks for sharing the pic

Christopher Pine
12-06-2004, 7:20 PM
THis indeed is beautiful! Very vibrant color and the piece here is extrodinary! Would be proud to have such a piece you do excellent work!
Chris

Mike Scoggins
12-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Brad,

As you know I'm not a turner (spinning things make me dizzy; I can't even ride a merry-go-round :D ), but I venture over on this forum ever now and then. So much for the surprise you had in mind for my Christmas present; looks like I spoiled it! ;)

In all seriousness, you did a beautiful job on the winged creation. I really like it. The color is spectacular, and the wings make it extraordinary. Great job!

Mike

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Really nice turning, Brad. You did that piece of mesquite, proud. Sure hope to see more of your turnings posted here.

Paul Lockyer
12-08-2004, 2:15 PM
Beautiful and interesting! The color is outstanding and I really like the form.

Are there any tips you could share on how to deal with the bark - for instance: do you treat the bark in some way prior to turning?

Brad Schmid
12-08-2004, 5:06 PM
Thanks Guy's for the kind words.

Are there any tips you could share on how to deal with the bark - for instance: do you treat the bark in some way prior to turning?

Paul - All I can say about working with bark is... CA glue. Sometimes I don't need any at all, sometimes I do. For this particular bowl I did have to use one small drop to secure a small piece so it would not come off, otherwise it was naturally well bonded. When working with bark, I stop often to check it's integrity. If I find it's coming loose somewhere, I'll hit it with a bit of CA to make it stable again. I will say, I never use accellerator because it imparts a crystallized look rather than being perfectly clear as it is when it dries untreated. I do use varying thickesses of CA depending on the task at hand.

Cheers,
Brad

Paul Lockyer
12-08-2004, 5:14 PM
Thanks Brad... I have done a few natural edge pieces without bark, but haven't done one yet with the bark on. Will definitly be looking for a likely chunk o' wood.

Paul

Bill Grumbine
12-10-2004, 6:43 PM
Hi Brad

I posted on this a while ago, but I see my post never showed up. As George Jetson used to say, "Ohh, nooo, I pushed the wrong button again!" I think this is a beautiful piece of wood, and you certianly did it justice with a beautiful form. These bowls are not the easiest thing to turn with those sharp corners whirling around at high speed. The wing is nice and flat and of uniform thickness, and overall the proportions are very well done. Very nice work, and I am honored to be considered an inspiration.

Bill