PDA

View Full Version : Solution without a problem

Bruce Seidner
07-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I am new to the world of uber table saws and fences. I have gotten by for years with only a skill saw, some clamps, and a long piece of extruded aluminum scavenged from a broken screen door. I purchased an old Craftsman contractor saw that I like quite well but was frustrated with the fence. I then looked around and found a Vega Pro 50" fence that is a very elegant replacement. But now there is a lot of fence and not so much table hanging off to the right of the blade.

I have seen table saws with extra long rails that have no extension table filling the space and those that have the space between the rails filled with a table. Is this a matter of personal preference or is there some rationale for these options?

Thom Sturgill
07-21-2010, 6:05 AM
A side table is
a) a handy place to store pieces being milled
b) support for sheet goods
c) a good place for the router table - it can share the fence mechanism

Cliff Holmes
07-21-2010, 7:54 AM
It's also handy to lay stuff you're getting out of your way from the other place you laid it to get it out of your way in the other play you laid it ... :)

Chip Lindley
07-22-2010, 12:34 AM
The extension table of a TS is one of the most used places ever in a smaller shop! It is used in every conceivable way. (Router table is #1 on my list) You are missing the utilization of lots of real estate if you don't build a table as long as those rails!

Bruce Seidner
07-22-2010, 9:53 PM
Well, gentleman, I am convinced. I am even removing the right cast iron extension off the main cast iron saw top and building the table from the table out to the end of these extra long rails. I have a dedicated router table but may do a transplant of the router mount into the new table, or not, but I like the option and it is clear to me that the table is the way to go.

Thanx.