PDA

View Full Version : NE Cherry Bowl - Thanks Mike

James Combs
07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I was given a nice cherry bowl blank by Mike Minto. Mike I hope I did it justice. Take a look and see what you think. I had a little tearout and some tool marks in the cross grain areas but I think I managed to get most of it corrected. Note that there are some worm tracks in it but no cracks.

Dimensions: 6-1/2" wide x 3-3/8" deep
Wall Thickness: 1/8 to 3/16" (The very bottom may be 1/4")
Finish: Right now it has one coat of Watco Danish Natural. More tomorrow.

David E Keller
07-20-2010, 11:02 PM
It's a nice bit of wood, James, and I like the little return curve at the bottom to create the foot.

I've got one of those branding tools somewhere, and now I'm gonna have to go find it!

Tom Sherman
07-21-2010, 6:27 AM
A very nice work in Cherry. I'm a little partial to heavier bottoms too(as could be evidenced by my physique) good for anchoring.

John Keeton
07-21-2010, 7:08 AM
Well done, JD. You have been busy - oh, to be retired! Still a few more years for me.

Nice work on this one, and congrats on the gift from Mike. Beautiful cherry, and you certainly did a nice job with the form. Looks great.

Roland Martin
07-21-2010, 7:38 AM
Very nice gift from Mike and you certainly did well in getting the most out of it. Very well done.

I've been noticing that you are pulling away from pens and increasing the variety of forms, a very addictive passion isn't it?

James Combs
07-21-2010, 8:14 AM
I've been noticing that you are pulling away from pens and increasing the variety of forms, a very addictive passion isn't it?

Roland, not really I just like a mix. Don't like doing the same thing over and over. I'll do pens for a while, work on the shop for a while, then maybe some flat work them maybe a couple of bowls. what ever strikes my fancy that day/hour.:D One of the advantages of not having to do any of them.:cool:

charlie knighton
07-21-2010, 9:15 AM
very nice, James

Mike Minto
07-21-2010, 9:19 AM
I was given a nice cherry bowl blank by Mike Minto. Mike I hope I did it justice. Take a look and see what you think. I had a little tearout and some tool marks in the cross grain areas but I think I managed to get most of it corrected. Note that there are some worm tracks in it but no cracks.

Dimensions: 6-1/2" wide x 3-3/8" deep
Wall Thickness: 1/8 to 3/16" (The very bottom may be 1/4")
Finish: Right now it has one coat of Watco Danish Natural. More tomorrow.

Jim - that's a fantastic bowl - i shoulda kept the wood :p! No, really, excellent job!

Don Alexander
07-21-2010, 10:09 AM
thats a great looking bowl

Michelle Rich
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
nice bowl..the little foot bump gets it up & off the table..just right

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Great looking bowl James. Really nice cherry.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Beautiful bowl! Love the rich color and the natural edge! Very nice work!