PDA

View Full Version : Tripple Gloat - Count Em 1.. 2.. 3..

James Combs
07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Gloat # 1 :D
I am now the proud owner of a new Model 445 Husqvarna Chainsaw. Picked it up with my last sales proceeds.

Gloat # 2 :D
I woke up this morning to a downed tree limb in my neighbors yard. Took advantage of the opportunity too help my neighbor and test out the new saw.

It Made quick work of the fallen limb.

Keep a couple the biggest pieces and immediately anchor-sealed them. Yeah I know they are from limbs and they are probably really stressed out but that's ok I sometimes get stressed out my self:D

Gloat # 3 :D
I was finally able to cut up the large walnut burl I had parked at the front door of my shop for the last year or so.

I cut out 8 smaller blanks like these and anchor-sealed each one.
Yeah I also know that a burl due to the extreme intertwining of the grain may not need anchor-seal but I had it handy.

Here it is split in half next to the saw.

If someone wanted to stop by and pick it up the one on the right is available. I will be lucky to use up the small ones I cut out of the other one.

It is anchor-sealed and waiting for anyone that wants it free for the pickup.

David E Keller
07-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow! That's a heck of a gloat. New saw, free wood, and a large burl.

You suck x3!:D

Gary Max
07-20-2010, 11:27 PM
You would live a 150 miles away. Nice score

Steve Kubien
07-21-2010, 1:54 AM
Very nice but I'll disagree with one thing... I love limb wood! It's often full of cool figure and if you turn it green-to-finished you get all sorts of cool warping going on.

Have fun with the new toy!
Steve

Neil Strong
07-21-2010, 1:54 AM
Nice Husky. Good choice. I have the XP72 which is great for the big stuff with the 28" bar, but am thinking of a 45 or smaller for trimming work.

I'll drop by to pick up whatever blanks are left over the next time I'm in the Nth Hemisphere...:D

John Keeton
07-21-2010, 7:03 AM
Excellent gloat, JD!! Strange how a downed tree can turn from a problem to a gloat, just by chance of physical location - the neighbor's yard!:D Hate it for your neighbor, but glad it happened for you.

On that burl slab, what about you and I doing a wood trade at the next club meeting? You bring that slab, and I will dig out something you don't have.

Roland Martin
07-21-2010, 7:59 AM
Nice score on all 3. "ENVY":p

James Combs
07-21-2010, 8:08 AM
Excellent gloat, JD!! Strange how a downed tree can turn from a problem to a gloat, just by chance of physical location - the neighbor's yard!:D Hate it for your neighbor, but glad it happened for you.

On that burl slab, what about you and I doing a wood trade at the next club meeting? You bring that slab, and I will dig out something you don't have.

Sure John but I'll have to drive my truck to hall it.;) Its about 24"x8-10.:D Make sure you have your back brace with you.:rolleyes:

Nice Husky. Good choice. I have the XP72 which is great for the big stuff with the 28" bar, but am thinking of a 45 or smaller for trimming work.

I'll drop by to pick up whatever blanks are left over the next time I'm in the Nth Hemisphere...:D

Neil, I'll keep a light on for you.:rolleyes:

Richard Madison
07-21-2010, 9:00 AM
Nice gloat James. Always good to help a neighbor.

Don Alexander
07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
you keep this up James and i'm going to be forced to do a roadtrip :D:D

nice saw and wood personally i like wood from limbs theres some cool grain inside there i would bet :)

Alan Trout
07-21-2010, 10:36 AM
James,

Definitely gloatworthy!!

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Great gloat James. Don't discount limbs just to quick. I have had some that had some awesome figure as Steve said.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Congrats on your new saw! Looks like it will handle just about anything you can throw at it! Congrats on all the wood also! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Mike Minto
07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
James, nice gloat. I have the same chainsaw, you'll enjoy it! Way to go! (Do you think your neighbor might be suspicious that you may have weighted that limb?) :D

Jack Mincey
07-21-2010, 1:08 PM
Great looking burl in the walnut and the saw should proof to be of great use in your woodturning. I have an old Husky 61 I've been using for more than 20 years and it is still as strong as ever.
Happy Turning,
Jack

charlie knighton
07-21-2010, 4:11 PM
great finds....