PDA

View Full Version : Formica - trimming info needed.

Steven DeMars
07-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm looking for some basic info about trimming Formica.

I was in the process of building a small router table & suddenly realized that while I had in the past & recently read about trimming Formica, I had never done it.

So I am starting with an old 2'X4' presswood top folding table. Prepped the the surface, applied the glue, installed the Formica, J-rolled, blocked.

Now I have a 2" to 3" over hang all the way around.

Have a Bosch Colt, 1" flush cut router bit with a bottom bearing.

What speed for Formica?

Do I go with the normal routing direction? Counter clockwise?

Steve:)

Jim Andrew
07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Does your top have a wood edge? If it is not formica, no sweat, just put the bit in and rout away. Small bit, so you can run it fast. Only concern is that the excess glue on bottom of top and edge will build up on bit. WD 40 cuts the glue, so rout a little and check your bit, spray w the lube if needed, as it will stop your ball bearing from spinning, and repeat. I like to just use a 45 degree chamfer bit myself, on wood edge tops, and just use the flush cutter along range and sink hole etc. Harder to finish the edge on formica edge tops, I used to router, then file them, but now I don't see as well and usually file too deep. Thus the wood edge toops.

david brum
07-20-2010, 11:24 PM
It's a piece of cake Steven. The router bit will cut formica like butter. Just keep your router base flat on the surface and cut in the normal direction. You'll be done in no time. It does make a mess.

Be aware that the guided bit will create an exact duplicate of the wood edge's surface on the formica, so make sure you're happy with your edges. Otherwise, hard to go wrong.

You might want to think of a way to support or remove some of your 3" offcut, so the formica doesn't break off at the very end.

Andrew Nemeth
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
If you are using a straight flush-cut bit you will want to ease the edges of the top with a fine file or sanding block. Laminate edges can be very sharp and can also get caught and lift away from the substrate if not quite bonded.

-Andrew

Andrew Nemeth
07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
If you are using a straight flush-cut bit you will want to ease the edges of the top with a fine file or sanding block. Laminate edges can be very sharp and can also get caught and lift away from the substrate if not quite bonded.

-Andrew

Don Jarvie
07-21-2010, 2:59 PM
You may want to invest in a champher bit to smooth the edges. Its the bit that looks like it routs 45 degree angles.

Don Alexander
07-21-2010, 11:37 PM
router with a flush trim bit works great

and for easing the sharp edge it leaves there is no better way than a laminate file and some practice

its quick easy and requires no power cord :)

Don Jarvie
07-22-2010, 2:02 PM
Don,

Tom Silva was doing this on Ask this OH last night. He was filing the edge of the counter top he made out of fomica.

Mike Nauman
06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I will be installing formica on some benches in a restaurant that do not have any 90 degree angles to them. Is there a good technique/tools for trimming formica at obtuse and acute angles?

Mark Smith, too
06-24-2012, 11:36 PM
I will be installing formica on some benches in a restaurant that do not have any 90 degree angles to them. Is there a good technique/tools for trimming formica at obtuse and acute angles?

Never had to do it, but my Bosch Colt has a tilt base as an option. If the angle you are cutting remains the same that could be he way to go.

Charles Lent
06-25-2012, 5:37 AM
When the bearing needs to rub on a laminate covered surface, to keep the bearing from burning the laminate if the glue should bind up the bearing, I always paint the area where the bearing will rub with Vaseline using a small acid brush. I can then rout the laminate and not worry about friction damage to the laminate.

Charley

Mike Nauman
06-25-2012, 9:12 AM
Is the standard base that comes on the router have that tilt option? or was that an separate purchase?

Never had to do it, but my Bosch Colt has a tilt base as an option. If the angle you are cutting remains the same that could be he way to go.

Jerome Stanek
06-25-2012, 9:19 AM
We use a lot of no file bits on laminate.

Ole Anderson
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Two types of trim bits; solid carbide (straight or with a small chamfer built in) and a ball bearing flush trim bit. All of them will get gunked up with adhesive. They make a wax for the bit to keep the solid ones from burning the guide edge. I like Charles's Vaseline idea. They are small bits so go wide open on the speed if you have a VS router.

Mark Smith, too
06-25-2012, 1:57 PM
Is the standard base that comes on the router have that tilt option? or was that an separate purchase?

Came in an installer's kit with the router when I bought it, but it is available separately.