PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and x4

doug parker
07-20-2010, 9:26 PM
Will I have issues using corel x4 on windows 7?

Amy Shelton
07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm curious about this answer, too. I am still using the XP laptop to engrave with. I don't dare change anything! lol

Lee DeRaud
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Will I have issues using corel x4 on windows 7?Nope, Corel X4 works fine on Windows7, either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Driving your laser from a W7 system (especially the 64-bit variety) is a different matter, as it depends on the drivers for the laser.

Mike Christen
07-20-2010, 10:57 PM
I have X3 and X5 and windows 7, X5 works ok, X3 works ok but takes long time to zoom in and out, not sure why but besides that x3 works ok. Using windows 7 64bit

doug parker
07-21-2010, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Amy, I too am nervous about upgrading my computer.

Terry Swift
07-21-2010, 1:41 PM
I use Corel X4 on both Win 7 (desktop) and Vista (laptop) 32-bit versions. Fortunately ULS makes drivers for Vista, as that is my main PC for engraving. Unfortunately I have to keep a Win XP box around as PhotoGrav 2.11 does not get supported in either Vista or 7. Lot's of USB Drive swapping goes on sometimes. Guess I could have created a VM (virtual machine) for XP; but had an old Dell desktop that I could use.

VM's are great if you want / need to run multiple OS's - even Mac stuff. Won't crash your system if that VM OS dumps on you either - only the VM needs to be shut down.

Too many possibilities...

Rob Patterson
07-21-2010, 3:19 PM
Unfortunately I have to keep a Win XP box around as PhotoGrav 2.11 does not get supported in either Vista or 7.

Have you tried to run your Photograv in "Compatibility Mode" on Windows 7 (or Vista)

To those who don't know: You can run software made for a previous version of Windows in Compatibility Mode by right clicking on the .exe icon that starts the program (not the shortcut,) click Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. Click the check box for Compatibility Mode and select the OS the software was designed for.

Just a thought....

Terry Swift
07-21-2010, 3:24 PM
Have you tried to run your Photograv in "Compatibility Mode" on Windows 7 (or Vista)

To those who don't know: You can run software made for a previous version of Windows in Compatibility Mode by right clicking on the .exe icon that starts the program (not the shortcut,) click Properties, then click on the Compatibility tab. Click the check box for Compatibility Mode and select the OS the software was designed for.

Just a thought....

Rob - hadn't thought of that trick. After 15 years of I.T. work in the MS world; little things like that escape me - especially since I haven't had to use it for years.

Keep bringing on the ideas - love it.

Terry Swift
07-22-2010, 9:00 AM
Rob,

Tried compatibility mode in Vista and PhotoGrav 2.11 does not work on any of the previous Windows versions identified - all the way back to 98 or 95 even. Must be something in PhotoGrav that won't allow you to run on anything outside of the actual OS's listed.

Swapping flash drives is no real biggie, as my PhotoGrav work is very small at the moment.

Thinking of moving up to EngraveLabs Photo editing software; as Epilog is really pushing it - and giving it away when you buy a new laser from them.

Dave Russell Smith
07-22-2010, 9:24 AM
I have been running Win 7 since it came out and did a upgrade from Vista.I have had no problems with photograv or Corel X4 :)

Terry Swift
07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I have been running Win 7 since it came out and did a upgrade from Vista.I have had no problems with photograv or Corel X4 :)

Dave - I'm using version 2.1.1. You must have version 3.x to run on Vista or newer; as everything I've researched and tried says 2.1.1 will not run on anything higher than XP. If you know something I don't - please elaborate. Even the compatibility mode in Vista was working for my CD.

Joe De Medeiros
07-22-2010, 1:21 PM

if you are coming from XP, it's not a simple "Upgrade" you need to backup your user files, Windows 7 will do a full wipe and install on an XP machine, then you have to reinstall all your software, and restore backup data files. I run a dedicated engraving computer (laptop) with only the basics on it, so it was a very fast upgrade.

PS XP compatibility mode only works on "Windows 7 Pro Edition"

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2010, 1:47 PM
if you are coming from XP, it's not a simple "Upgrade" you need to backup your user files, Windows 7 will do a full wipe and install on an XP machine, then you have to reinstall all your software, and restore backup data files.Is that actually true? I was going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit W7 and was told the same thing. They called it a "clean install", but it actually saved the whole 'Users' folder (same as 'Document and Settings' folder on XP, IIRC) and some other stuff in a folder marked 'Old Windows'. Not nearly as painless as a Vista/32 to 7/32 "upgrade" (which preserves installed programs), but certainly not a bare-metal wipe.

Which makes sense, when you think about it: unless you're coming from something truly ancient (pre-NTFS), there's no need for it to wipe the disk during installation.

Dave Russell Smith
07-22-2010, 2:05 PM
Dave - I'm using version 2.1.1. You must have version 3.x to run on Vista or newer; as everything I've researched and tried says 2.1.1 will not run on anything higher than XP. If you know something I don't - please elaborate. Even the compatibility mode in Vista was working for my CD.

I'm running the same version as you no problems:)

Joe De Medeiros
07-22-2010, 2:14 PM
Is that actually true? I was going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit W7 and was told the same thing. They called it a "clean install", but it actually saved the whole 'Users' folder (same as 'Document and Settings' folder on XP, IIRC) and some other stuff in a folder marked 'Old Windows'. Not nearly as painless as a Vista/32 to 7/32 "upgrade" (which preserves installed programs), but certainly not a bare-metal wipe.

Which makes sense, when you think about it: unless you're coming from something truly ancient (pre-NTFS), there's no need for it to wipe the disk during installation.

Yes, it's true. Vista can be upgraded in place.

This is from the Microsoft website.

What you need

An external hard disk. You'll need to move your files off of your PC before you install Windows 7. To make this easier, we recommend a free download called Windows Easy Transfer, which will require an external hard disk. They’re readily available at electronics and office supply stores, and they provide an easy way to add additional storage space to your computer.
The original installation discs or setup files for the programs that you want to use with Windows 7. You’ll need to reinstall your programs by hand after installing Windows 7. When you run Windows Easy Transfer you will get a report that lists the programs that you are currently using with Windows XP.

It's always a good idea to backup your data anyways.

Terry Swift
07-22-2010, 2:16 PM
Is that actually true? I was going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit W7 and was told the same thing. They called it a "clean install", but it actually saved the whole 'Users' folder (same as 'Document and Settings' folder on XP, IIRC) and some other stuff in a folder marked 'Old Windows'. Not nearly as painless as a Vista/32 to 7/32 "upgrade" (which preserves installed programs), but certainly not a bare-metal wipe.

It's symantics in a way - but "upgrading" is nowhere near "clean" installing. Clean will wipe your drive (formatting it) and then install Windows 7 as a new OS. I've never liked or trusted any MS Product in upgrading and have ran into too many issues when doing so. None of the MS Operating Systems play well with any others - so when upgrading, you're only gaining certain new characteristics of the new OS. If there were bugs / issues with your old OS; 99% of the time - they will follow in an upgrade.

Vista 32 bit does have the capability of running "compatibility" mode. It's a little ass-backward and somewhat hidden on exactly how to make it all work, but it wouldn't play well with my version of PhotoGrav in any mode from XP SP 2 down to 98.

I'm not a big fan of Win7 either; as I was having quite a few issues with it and troubleshooting them got to be a pain and a chase thru the many websites offering help. It's finally calmed down, but had to switch from Office 2007 back to Office 2003; mainly because of stupid issues in Outlook and I hate the ribbons. Give me a toolbar and I'm fine to find my way thru it.

Maybe one day I can afford a MAC if the laser business takes off.

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2010, 2:22 PM
It's symantics in a way - but "upgrading" is nowhere near "clean" installing. Clean will wipe your drive (formatting it) and then install Windows 7 as a new OS.That was pretty much my point: for Windows7, a "clean install" does not necessarily involve wiping, partitioning, or formatting...and there's no reason why it should.

Bill Cunningham
07-22-2010, 9:03 PM
It's always a good idea to backup your data anyways.

No Kidding!!! I neglected to do that for a month, and had a H.D crash on Friday morning, worked perfect the day before. Turned it on, and went about doing some other stuff, got back to the computer with a 'blue screen' and a 'system failure' notice.. Several reboots later and no change. The drive was a 500 gig WD SATA, and any other computer I had was a IDE so I couldn't stick it into another unit as a slave, and pull off what I needed. So quick call to my computer shop to clone what they could of the drive, 3 hours of *panic* + 72 hours of work and $400.00 later I had all my files back and transferred to the new drive. I now have two 500 gig drives in the box, plus a external 500 gig HD. and will be backing up all critical files at the end of every day, and a full backup every Friday from now on.. LEARN from 'my' stupidity so you don't have to experience it yourself.:mad:

P.S. This drive was only 1 1/2 years old, and failed well before it's time..

Rob Patterson
07-23-2010, 8:51 AM
Bill, for about $20 on ebay you can buy an IDE/SATA to USB cable. It will come with a power supply and will allow you to connect any full sized or lap top HD to another computer via USB.

This are invaluable when you are having HD issues.

Joe De Medeiros
07-23-2010, 9:48 AM
That was pretty much my point: for Windows7, a "clean install" does not necessarily involve wiping, partitioning, or formatting...and there's no reason why it should.

I didn't mean format and partition, sorry for the confusion, the reason they recommend backing up to an external drive, is there have been cases where the data was lost on the original hardrive by the migration assistant.

No it doesn't format, but if you are going to reinstall everything, it's a good idea to reformat, and do a surface scan, especially if the computer is a few years old. If your hard drive is a few years old, this is a good time to upgrade it to a larger one, and use the original one as your backup.

P.S. This drive was only 1 1/2 years old, and failed well before it's time..

There was a time that hard drives seem to last forever, but lately I have seen more drive failures then ever, we have a 30tb raid at work, and 6 drives have failed, and in all cases they where less than a year old, they where replaced under warranty, but it's still a pain.

Brad Ports
07-23-2010, 4:07 PM
I am running Windows 7, x4, and PG 3.0, works great together

doug parker
07-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, it took some time as the instructions that came with my win7 upgrade were horrible, I got win7, x4 and the engrave lab photo laser plus up and working. I also updated the firmware and driver for my laser. All is good and thanks to all.

Bill Cunningham
07-25-2010, 8:42 PM
Bill, for about $20 on ebay you can buy an IDE/SATA to USB cable. It will come with a power supply and will allow you to connect any full sized or lap top HD to another computer via USB.

This are invaluable when you are having HD issues.

Thanks Rob.. I'll check that out.. Didn't have time to research something like this on this crash, I was in full panic mode:eek::eek:.. Sorta like a gun! You don't need one until you need one, then you need one real bad!:D