PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me "peen" a lateral adjuster rivet?

Zach England
07-20-2010, 9:13 PM
I have seen many references to "peening" the lateral adjuster rivet to tighten the adjuster, but I am not sure I understand what I am supposed to do. I just got a very nice bedrock 6 and the only slight annoyance is that the lateral adjuster is a bit on the sloppy side. I placed the frog face-down on the bench with the adjuster in a dog hole so it would lay flat and gave a few good taps to the back of the pin with a small ball-peen hammer and did not notice any apparent "mushroom" action on the rivet. I hesitate to hit too hard out of fear of making it worse. can someone explain the technique to this?

Thanks.

Niels Cosman
07-20-2010, 9:45 PM
Hey Zack,

I've done this a bunch of times and it's pretty straight forward. First I take a second hammer and put it in my bench vice to use an an anvil anvil to back up rivet on the back side. I hold the frog in place with one hand and hold the hammer in the other, making sure that the face of the frog is level. Then I'll take a ball peen and tap first the center of the pin a bit and then work the hammer around the edges a little bit to roll the edges. That usually does the trick. You shouldn't have to use a lot of force- hit it like you were nailing a small tack.

If you also use a small hammer (or a second ball peen) in the vise you are less likely to damage the surrounding japanning.

Jim Koepke
07-21-2010, 12:58 AM
It all depends on the tools you have on hand. Here is how I do it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1156032#poststop

The pin has to have support on the side opposite of the peening to get it to tighten up in the frog.

jim

Roy Wall
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Jim is right......the frog and adjust have to be supported in order for the pin to 'mushroom'.

Just a steel vise or steel plate on the back would do it......with nail set. A second set of hands is helpful:

Jeremy Dorn
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
This may be frowned upon, but I usually just use the jaws of my big metal working vise to apply pressure on both sides of the pin (carefully avoiding the cast iron of the frog) and give the vise handle a 1/8 turn or so. That sufficiently mushrooms out the steel quickly, and less dangerously than me attempting to take a hammer to it since its very easy to miss by a tiny amt and shatter the frog.