PDA

View Full Version : Your Grinder?

Gary Conklin
07-20-2010, 8:20 PM
What grinder do you use? Do you like it? What would you buy?

Mike Minto
07-20-2010, 8:27 PM
I have a slow speed grinder from WC, and like it alot. I'd like to have a Creusen, but they only have 6" wheels and are sold in the UK - for alot of money.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2010, 8:45 PM
Woodcraft slow speed grinder. Works well.

John Hart
07-20-2010, 9:10 PM
I have a craftsman high speed dual wheel super deluxe standard bench grinder. One gray wheel...one white. I like it. Although... I am a free-hander so my input doesn't really mean much I'm afraid....I'm not exactly a sharpening guru. ;)

John Keeton
07-20-2010, 9:11 PM
WC 8" slow speed. I like it, but only because I have nothing to compare to!!

Jeff Luedloff
07-20-2010, 9:19 PM
WC 8" 2 speed grinder, one wheel 80 git for shaping and 120 git white wheel for touching up.

Lance kanaby
07-20-2010, 9:30 PM
I have an older WC 8" slow speed grinder, you know the ones with a rear dust port. The newer models don't have a dust port and are really messy when the wheels are trued up. If I really wanted the best grinder I would get the Baldor 8" grinder, but these suckers cost a small fortune, over $600.00!

Sean Hughto
07-20-2010, 9:49 PM
I apparently spent a small fortune as per the attached pic. I dunno, I see sharpening as right up there with ripping (How much for a 3HP cabinet saw), turning (lathe prices anyone?), jointing (anything over 6" starter models are plenty $$$), bandsawing (at least a grand for a nice one), chainsawing (Huskie's ain't cheap) etc. I don't see why folks don'e think twice about spending $1800 or $3500 on a lathe, but would balk at buying an equivalent quality grinder. Same with respect to dust collection and masks. I think Trend and 3M "expensive" models are money well spent.

Buy good tools the first time and enjoy using them everytime.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-20-2010, 9:54 PM
I apparently spent a small fortune as per the attached pic. I dunno, I see sharpening as right up there with ripping (How much for a 3HP cabinet saw), turning (lathe prices anyone?), jointing (anything over 6" starter models are plenty $$$), bandsawing (at least a grand for a nice one), chainsawing (Huskie's ain't cheap) etc. I don't see why folks don'e think twice about spending $1800 or $3500 on a lathe, but would balk at buying an equivalent quality grinder. Same with respect to dust collection and masks. I think Trend and 3M "expensive" models are money well spent.

Well said.... But I have a Stihl and a Tormek..... I really like the Tormek. Sharpen the kitchen knives and make the boss happy.:D

Jeff Willard
07-20-2010, 10:06 PM
What Sean said. I have a similar Baldor-8", 3/4 hp, but I sprung for the illuminated shields. Tormek too, but only for flat stuff.

The Baldor is silk smooth. And compare the spin-up time to any of the others in the $50-200 range, and you won't ever want to go back. I started years ago with a 6" Delta grinder. I know the Baldor has ball bearings, don't know what the Delta has. Prolly just a bronze bushing. Never could get a wheel true. The Delta has been relegated to powering the Automach.

I really don't see the necessity in a slow-speed grinder on high speed steel. Just takes twice as long to accomplish a task.

Keith Burns
07-20-2010, 10:08 PM
I have used a WC 8" slow speed grinder and it has worked well. However I just got a new Delta 8" variable speed grinder and really like it. Lowes had the for $138 but had them on clearance for $35 but the only one they had left was the display, so I talked the down to $10

Wayne Leach
07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a 6" Baldor that I have had for 30 years and its a wonderful piece of equipment.
I also have recently purchased the WC 8" slow speed grinder and despite the wheels wobbling it does a fairly good job. I like the 8" for turning tools but for everything else, the Baldor gets the nod!
Wayne

Gary Conklin
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
So 50/50 split so far. Those that have the WC seem pleased, those with high end always pleased. Hum?:confused:

BTW Sean is that a verticle solution on the flat platform?

Sean Hughto
07-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Yup, I have Mr. Geiger's truing tool and his vertical solution. I highly recommend both.

David E Keller
07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
I've got the WC and it does the job. I'm not sure I could justify the expense for a deluxe grinder at this point only because there are other things I want more. If you've got the money, I can't imagine you'd ever regret buying a top of the line tool.

Gary Conklin
07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
If you've got the money, I can't imagine you'd ever regret buying a top of the line tool.

Your darn sure I'd never admit to it anyway!!

Clint Baxter
07-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I have a Jet 8" grinder. Works quite well since I replaced out the washers. Have a couple of the Norton "K" wheels on it. Also have a Tormek with the black wheel that I use for skews, some gouges and all my flatwork tools. Finally, have a Delta 10" wet wheel grinder with a 5" high speed wheel that no longer sees the light of day.

Jim McFarland
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
WC slow speed grinder with Tormek grinder mount for "shaping" tools and a Tormek for all subsequent sharpening. Lighter wallet but no regrets.

Richard Madden
07-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Mine's a Craftsman Professional 8" variable speed. Must have been on sale, don't remember. Norton K grade wheels, 46 and 80 grit. At slow speed it runs smooth, but crank up the speed and it vibrates.

Mike Davis NC
07-21-2010, 6:10 AM
I have a Wilton 2 x 72 inch belt grinder with belts from 36 to 600 grit. It is fast, smooth and easy to grind anything from awl points to hand plane blades.

Rich Aldrich
07-21-2010, 6:16 AM
I have a variable speed Porter Cable with 8" wheels. I think this is a newer model, just purchased in April at Lowes. I really like this grinder. I keep it at the lowest speed setting.

Alan Zenreich
07-21-2010, 6:42 AM
I use a Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder (with either an 8" wheel or a flat platen) with a Nova Sharpening Centre.

My wife uses a WC slow speed grinder with a Oneway Wolverine jig.

It's nice to have options <s>

Don Geiger
07-21-2010, 9:30 AM
Hi Sean:
I copied your photo of my vertical support for the patform rest' installed on your Baldor. Do you mind if I use it in my demo and training presentations?

Don Geiger

Sean Hughto
07-21-2010, 9:32 AM
Feel free, Don. I love the products, and appreciate you offering them. Thanks!

Gary Conklin
07-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Sean, what were the mods to be able to use it with the platform?

Man those Baldors are a small fortune! Are they really that different from a mid grade grinder???

Sean Hughto
07-21-2010, 1:42 PM
Hey, Gary. There were no significant mods. The Wolverine platform just attaches to Mr. Geiger's adjustable post, really.

As far as whether the baldor is really that different, I suppose it's like anything else in woodworking, you can probably get by with less in many instances, but it's sure nice to use an excellent tool. I come from flat woodworking, so I'd think of it like asking "Are cabinet table saws really that different from a mid-grade contractor's saws?" Well, they both rip boards pretty well, but ... Or asking "Are Lie-Nielsen planes really that different from vintage Stanley's?" Well they'll both plane most normal grained woods well, but ... Or in Vortex terms, "why buy a $3500 Powermatic 1352 when a $1800 Jet 1642 is pretty close?"

Strangely enough, I have a contractor saw and a 1642! Yup, you could get by with much less grinder than a Baldor, but sometimes it's nice to have a great quality tool that you know will last a lifetime and be a pleasure to use over and over.

Thom Sturgill
07-21-2010, 2:05 PM
Sharpening & Honing - Delta 8" variable speed w 150grit white wheel and MDF wheel with honing compound.
Grizzly wet grinder - Tormek clone
Ryobi 6" HS grinder with grey wheel for reshaping & heavy grinding

This ought to be a survey type question....

Gary Herrmann
07-21-2010, 2:12 PM
WC 8" slow speed. Having gotten to use a slow speed Baldor recently, I'm hoping my WC dies soon so I can upgrade.

Darci Sowers
07-21-2010, 2:19 PM
we have the WC 8" slow speed grinder, and use the wolverine sharpening system. Works well. Sharp tools are awesome!

Wayne Spence
07-21-2010, 2:36 PM
For all turning tools I use a WC slow speed 2 wheel with wolverine jig and for chisels and carving gouges a cardboard 2 wheel setup with the wheels turning away from the edge. Both setups are more than adequate. If I were to change for some unforseen reason like the motors going out I would go to a belt , the wider the better. Would still need a wheel for shaping.

Jeff Willard
07-21-2010, 3:25 PM
Man those Baldors are a small fortune! Are they really that different from a mid grade grinder???

See the post above by Wayne Leach. 30 yrs.

Matt Owen
07-22-2010, 9:58 AM
I have a DeWalt 6" grinder with 1 white and 1 gray wheel. I like it because the tool rests are large enough to be usable. I made a wolverine varigrind and sliding v-notch platform out of wood, and my total cost for all of it was < $100. I can sharpen my tools quickly, and they cut wood cleanly.

Reed Gray
07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a WC slow speed grinder and then got a 1 hp Baldor. The difference is like the difference between a Ryobi table saw, and a Powermatic cabinet saw. Well worth the money. I would like to have a high speed grinder for the occasional shaping that I do, but I could take them to a saw shop and have them shape them as well.

robo hippy

JerHall
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
and it makes it dead smooth. But you have to replace the wheels with a larger Dia hole. So maybe use up the WC wheels first, unless you want it to run more smoothly.

Gary Conklin
07-25-2010, 2:43 PM
Well I stumbled upon a great deal on a barely used Delta variable speed grinder, so with my drill bushing inserts I am all set and ready to go again. I will have to start looking for a deal on a Baldor though..