PDA

View Full Version : Lost my hunting buddy today.

Joe Mioux
07-20-2010, 7:30 PM
For the past couple weeks, i have been dealing with our dog Sugar. She was sick, but after a couple days got better, get sick get better, etc. These past couple weeks have been awful, not knowing what to do during the bad times, then being relieved when the dog perked back up..... it was not fun.

Last night she took a downward spiral. Me being me, told the family lets see how she does today. At 2 pm, Anna stopped in and said make an appointment. I did, it was for tomorrow afternoon.

At 3:00, son Michael called and said Sugar had fallen down the basement steps. I drive home, call the vet and ask if we could come in immediately. They said yes. I picked Sugar up, put her in the van and carried her into the vets office. We go right into an examining room and before I set her down, she was gone.

She was a great bird dog, not just a good dog.... a great bird dog. I don't get much time away from the shop, but for the past couple years, I did spend a few afternoons with Sugar walking fence rows and traversing stubble (corn) fields while Quail hunting.

The worst part is that Anna is blaming me for the dog dying. Hopefully, she will realize its all part of a life cycle and not anyone's fault.

John Mark Lane
07-20-2010, 7:45 PM
Only those who really know dogs can understand. I know this from experience. I'm sorry to read this, even though I don't know you at all. When our Golden left us, three years ago, my wife said it's a bittersweet thing that dogs live such short lives. But damnit, they manage to compress a lot of love in that short time span!

... I did spend a few afternoons with Sugar walking fence rows and traversing stubble (corn) fields while Quail hunting.

Probably the best afternoons of Sugar's life. I honestly believe, the know when they're going. They muster that last bit of strength to say goodbye, in the way they know best, by just being your friend.

It may seem corny to some people, but I have always taken comfort in the old poem, "Rainbow Bridge":

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Joe Mioux
07-20-2010, 7:56 PM
John, that is a beautiful poem.

Today Sugar was in the laundry/mud room (her home) she never came inside the house, however, she walked in twice today.

I really think you are right. She wanted to say good bye.

joe

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2010, 8:00 PM
Joe,

My condolences on the lost of your hunting partner and four legged friend. It's been nearly 15 years since we lost our samoyed. I miss her company still.

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2010, 8:01 PM
Joe - my heart goes out to you in your loss. I am sure Sugar had a great life and will be missed by everyone in your family!

Bruce Page
07-20-2010, 8:04 PM
Joe, from one dog lover to another, I feel your pain.

Bill Cunningham
07-20-2010, 9:27 PM
I don't think I will own another dog, until I'm sure it will out live me. I don't think I could go through that again..

http://www.technisoft1.com/images/Ginger.jpg

Ruhi Arslan
07-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine how it feels but all I can think of when the time comes with ours it won't be easy. She is our first dog. I've surprised my wife when I brought her home from shelter during some very difficult times a year or so ago. She became an integral part of our lives. I became to learn that every dog is the best dog.

Rich Greinert
07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Dogs are here such a very short time, but the joy they bring and the way they enrich our lives is so wonderful. I miss the company of my dog in some way almost every day. I'm saddened to hear of your loss and I hope that the good memories will help sustain you through this time of grief.

Kenneth Moar
07-21-2010, 3:15 AM
Losing a field companion, friend, buddy is very tough, luckily the memories are priceless. It's been six years since I lost my Golden, he was a great guy, the best.
Condolences

Lee Schierer
07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I feel your pain. The Brittany we have now is the first hunting dog I've ever had and he is great to go hunting with. His nose is unbelievable. He's just four so hopefully we'll have lots of years together.

The best cure for the sadness of losing a dog is bringing home the new one after an appropriate period of mourning.

Chris Struttman
07-21-2010, 2:17 PM
Joe,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my 14 year old hunting buddy on the 4th of July weekend. Not a day goes by that I don't still hear her collar rattle or her nails on the hardwood floor. It's a bitter sweet reminder of what we have lost but also of the joy that she shared with us for those 14 years.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-21-2010, 2:23 PM
Joe,
I share your grief. A good dog is the best of friends. I'm sorry for your loss.

Paul Ryan
07-21-2010, 9:48 PM
Joe,

I feel for you. I lost my buddy July 8th, tomorrow will be 2 weeks ago. It still feels weird here. Someone is missing. My buddy wasn't quite 6 yet. He died of something called EIC excerise induced collapse. My wife went running with him, he made 1/2 mile started panting excessively and wouldn't move. She came back and got me, by the time I got there with the truck he was on the ground breathing heavy but unresponsive. I headed into town to the vet and about 3 miles from town he died in the bed of the truck. Still beats me up, he was a super hunting dog as is everyone's The toughest part of his death was he has run mile after mile recently and was in excellent condition, but that thursday was his day to go I guess.

The solution to my grief was another dog and fast. I will be picking up the new one next weekend. The death of this dog beat me up so much, I can't imagine what would happen if I lost a child. But this wont be the last dog I lose, I just hope it doesn't happen so unexpected again.

Take care Joe, I will toast one to Sugar and Newman.

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry Joe, not much more can be said but sorry.
Be well.

Mike Cruz
07-22-2010, 3:34 PM
Joe, I'm so sorry you lost your best friend. I know how much it pains you. I, too, as many other Creekers, have lost a couple of four legged companions that meant the world to my wife and I. We don't have kids. Just our 5 horses and 2 (right now) dogs. So, the dogs get treated like our children...scratch that, better than any child we would ever have had.

We had to put down our 13 1/2 year old boxer, Tasha, when her brain tumor caused siezures and the meds could no longer control them. She was diagnosed with the tumor when she was 8. Responded amazingly to the radiation and meds. Lived 5 1/2 years with the tumor. But when she was no longer "there", we had to make the decision. It was one my wife couldn't make. She, like you, battled with the good days/bad days issue.

We also lost a boxer/springer mix, Geordi, to liver cancer. One day running around the yard like normal. The next, belly distended and not eating. Took him to the vet on a hunch. They poked him with a needle to see if there was fluid in his gut, and it was filled with blood. Opened him up and they gave him almost no chance of making it.

Losing a best friend (four legged) is much harder than any non-dog person could ever understand. We have purchased two of those LCD digital photo albums...one for each of those two dogs. They cycle through photos of them all day, every day. We know they are still with us.

When our new boxer puppy, Annie, of 6 months (at the time) ran off into the woods and got lost, she eventually found her way home 24 hours later...right to our door step. We KNOW Tasha guided her back. We just know it.

Tony De Masi
07-22-2010, 7:51 PM
Sorry to hear about Sugar Joe. It's not an easy thing to go through but as was already said, it's the circle of life.

We put down our 15 year old Jack Russell, Rocky, last February. I had somewhat of a love/hate relationship with him but when the day came, I cried like a little kid.

Again, sorry.

Tony

Lori Kleinberg
07-26-2010, 2:36 AM
Joe, sorry for your loss. It is a terrible situation.
You can't live without dog and it hurts so bad to loose one, so you decide not to get another one, but ....(see begining of sentence).
I know because I have been there, you are not alone in your grief.

Marko Markovich Jr
07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Joe , I'm new to this forum but not to dog's, Ive lost 6 in my life of having best friend's , I've alwys went to this poem to help me out in my times of loss, I usually red it 10-15 time very slow and always get comforted, Sorry for your loss and i hope this helps.

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie --
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find -- it's your own affair --
But . . . you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit hat answered your every mood
Is gone -- wherever it goes -- for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept'em, the more do we grieve;

alex grams
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure where i heard it, but the saying goes:

Dogs don't live as long as humans because they discover unconditional love much earlier in life, and they don't have to be around as long as us because they experience and show just as much of that love in a short time that we can in our much longer lives.

While i feel your pain, and your wife may blame you, don't blame yourself. There is nothing harder than having to take your dog to have them put down. I would much prefer to not have to make that choice, and while it may pain you that your friend is gone, I am glad you didn't have to make that choice, but were still able to be with her at the end.