PDA

View Full Version : How to hollow a lidded box?

Wayne Hendrix
07-20-2010, 5:21 PM
I have some wood that will make a couple nice boxes, but I am not sure how to hollow them. How is hollowing the endgrain of a box different than a bowl and how do I get good flat wall and bottom with a nice tight corner? One of the books that I have recommends using a side cutting scraper for boxes, is that the only/best way to do it?

Tool wise I have a 1/2" bowl gouge and 1-1/4" round nose scraper that I use for bowls. (I have other tools but those are the ones that will work for hollowing.) I am not against buying more tools, I just want to make sure that I buy the right ones.

Thanks
Wayne

Jack Tyree
07-20-2010, 5:30 PM
It may not be the "kosher" way to do it, but I use a 1/2" square nose scraper to hollow all the boxes I have made, and never had any bad experiences. I just take my time and don't try to rush the cuts and keep the scraper sharp.

Ron Lynch
07-20-2010, 6:02 PM
I use a fingernail grind on a 1/2" spindle gouge and a square grind on a chunky 3/4" scraper. You can back hollow a la Raffan if you're brave. I just hollow conventionally after I drill a 3/8" hole to mark my depth. Use the scraper if you want a flat bottom. Use a bowl scraper if you want a round bottom. If you can get your hands on Raffan's box turning DVD it will all make sense.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-20-2010, 7:12 PM
I have PSI's bowl scraper set. They have a nice long side bevel, to true up the sides of the boxes. You can also use a square scraper, but IMO, a square edge is much harder to sand. I use the bowl gouge to start and a Hunter carbide. You can use any carbide cutter, that's just what I have. All you really need is a scraper. That's all Raffan uses. The box turning DVD is a good buy. He does make me sick though. He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.

Ron Lynch
07-20-2010, 7:17 PM
He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.

Scary, ain't it?

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2010, 7:26 PM
I use a 1/2" spindle gouge using Raffan's back hollowing method. I finish most of mine with a square bottom using a heavy duty square scaper.

Wayne Hendrix
07-20-2010, 7:33 PM
Thanks guys I will look into the DVD.

Allen Neighbors
07-20-2010, 7:41 PM
I have some wood that will make a couple nice boxes, but I am not sure how to hollow them. How is hollowing the endgrain of a box different than a bowl and how do I get good flat wall and bottom with a nice tight corner? One of the books that I have recommends using a side cutting scraper for boxes, is that the only/best way to do it? Thanks, Wayne

Wayne, I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm supposing someone has said a square-nosed scraper will do the sides and bottom with a sharp corner.
John Hart had an awesome post recently (photo tutorial) about thinning the inside edge of a vase with a Skew. I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that same cut will also work on the flat inside wall of a small box.

Cutting the endgrain, I usually drill a hole in the center to just shy of finished depth, then hollow from the center out. Then finish with the scraper.

All that said, I suggest thinning the scraper near it's edge, the part that cuts the corner, and don't let your cutting edge get below center when doing the corner.

I use the 3/16 dia Mike Hunter carbide cutter for hollowing 90% of my lidded boxes. It's an awesome little cutter.

David E Keller
07-20-2010, 8:03 PM
I use a 1/2 inch scraper(either round nose or square depending on the style of bottom) or a spindle gouge.

bob svoboda
07-20-2010, 9:34 PM
I've used a spindle gouge and I've used specialty tools. My favorite is a skew chisel-check out Alan Lacer's video.

Jeff Willard
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I have PSI's bowl scraper set. They have a nice long side bevel, to true up the sides of the boxes. You can also use a square scraper, but IMO, a square edge is much harder to sand. I use the bowl gouge to start and a Hunter carbide. You can use any carbide cutter, that's just what I have. All you really need is a scraper. That's all Raffan uses. The box turning DVD is a good buy. He does make me sick though. He can make a box faster than I can type this reply. And I'm not kidding.

Upside down, cutting on the side of the blank traveling up:eek:. Seriously. Learn the back hollowing technique that Raffan advocates. It is quick. Then finish up with scrapers.