PDA

View Full Version : another gimmick

harry strasil
07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
that is supposed to replace COMMON SENSE.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25942/miracle-shield-blocks-kickback

Steve Wurster
07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I think this is a joke. The posting date was April 1st. The "inventor" is Reuben Goldberg (Rube Goldberg). It reads like a parody.

Rick Markham
07-20-2010, 1:01 PM
I think this is a joke. The posting date was April 1st. The "inventor" is Reuben Goldberg (Rube Goldberg). It reads like a parody.

If it isn't a joke, it sure has some amazing coincidences/ and the timing was priceless... Considering Reuben Goldberg designed it I wonder how many moving parts it has :D

Bill LaPointe
07-20-2010, 1:03 PM
How would you like to get hit with a cast iron panel moving 85 mph? I bet you have a lot of control with those nice long push sticks, too!

Ray McGrath
07-20-2010, 1:03 PM
Sorry to say Harry common sense died some time ago, no wake or fair wells.
I spend approx. 20% of my time writing procedures, thoughtless employees continue to amaze me.

Ray

george wilson
07-20-2010, 1:04 PM
Jr. just brought this thing to my attention. I think it is one of the most ridiculous inventions I've yet seen. Someone is going to get whacked by this iron plate and sue them.

Before that happens,though,someone had better get the idiot spectators to stand elsewhere,don't you think?? It might get that woman's note book all bloody.

P.S.:I want to know what happens when the iron plat flies up and the board is TOO LONG. It goes up over the top of the plate,and the operator gets the board in the face,or throat? Maybe in the eye???

When cutting a bunch of short pieces,I sometimes lean against the front edge of the saw. What then,?????

Don Selke
07-20-2010, 1:12 PM
COMMON SENSE:
I don't there is any left in the world any more.

Pete Bradley
07-20-2010, 1:55 PM
Aw c'mon, it's a joke!! Besides, how could you not love the cast iron skeet approach to self protection?

Will Overton
07-20-2010, 2:10 PM
I read this back on April one. My reaction was;

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/roflmao.gif

Then I read all the comments people posted thinking this was a terrible invention. My reaction was;

I think a sense of humor went out the window with common sense. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/crying.gif

Stuart Gardner
07-20-2010, 4:53 PM
This is not serious, it's an APRIL FOOL'S DAY JOKE. It did take me in though until I saw the date. IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE IT'S A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

george wilson
07-20-2010, 6:24 PM
I didn't see it was done in April!!

Hugh Jardon
07-20-2010, 7:16 PM
Man that's funny. What's funnier is seeing all the donuts go off the handle in the comments underneath about what a bad idea it is! The 2-ft long push sticks are a dead-giveaway.

I posted an April Fool's joke, and it raised a few laughs (basically I made a Harbor Freight dust collector into an imposter), but there still people asking where I got a RIDGID dust collector well after I admitted it was a joke.

Joe Shinall
07-20-2010, 7:47 PM
If you look at the guy really close in the last picture, he has a small smirk on his face. That's how you can tell it's a joke. It takes a real sick person to smirk when a piece of wood is coming at your..:confused:..ball peen hammer...

Dave Lehnert
07-20-2010, 7:59 PM
I read this back on April one. My reaction was;

Then I read all the comments people posted thinking this was a terrible invention. My reaction was;

I think a sense of humor went out the window with common sense. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/crying.gif

What he said.

April 1st post date should be the big giveaway it's a joke.

Darnell Hagen
07-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Either staged, or the guy second from the left has some amazing reflexes. His hands are in his pockets for the first two shots.

Harlan Coverdale
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I happened upon that (again) last night, and was surprised (and maybe a little saddened) to see how many people did not realize it was a joke. What saddens me is that people get all worked up and indignant so quickly these days, they fail to see anything as a whole picture. Instead, they see one little aspect (in this case a very obvious joke) and get all butthurt about it. (No offense intended to any Creekers, especially Harry, whose knowledge and advice here are awesome.)

harry strasil
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry, it came from fine woodworking, and I didn't notice the date, so I took it for granted coming from them it was the real thing. Good one on me though and I fell for it, mainly because in this day and age of gadgets gimmicks anything is possible. LOL

P.S. I bet Ron Popal or whatever his name is could sell it.

Will Overton
07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Harry,
Nothing to be sorry about. A good April Fools joke is one that is not easily recognized as a joke. FWW did a great job with this one. At this point just smile ... :)

Stuart Gardner
07-21-2010, 1:48 PM
Sorry, it came from fine woodworking, and I didn't notice the date, so I took it for granted coming from them it was the real thing. Good one on me though and I fell for it, mainly because in this day and age of gadgets gimmicks anything is possible. LOL

P.S. I bet Ron Popal or whatever his name is could sell it.

It was a really well done joke. I was getting all worked up into a lather about the super long push sticks, then I went looking for the date to see how old it was. It was only then I realized it was a gag. They got me good. I didn't catch the "Reuben Goldberg" until someone else posted that tidbit here. Bottom line is it's something that some dink would invent and get jammed through the industry via class action lawsuits.

Peter Quinn
07-21-2010, 5:08 PM
It seems to be a close race between FWW and Lee Valley to see who can come up with the funniest April 1 jokes each year. I happened to like this one, though I was surprised at how any people thought it was serious. Yes, the long push sticks are necessary to cut down on the decapitation rate!

I once had a coworker ask for a "sure fire" cure for a head ache, and my flippant response was "The only certain cure I know of is a .45 to the head, but that has some nasty side effects. I'd try a 10 minute break off your feat and two aspirin first." Another coworker within ear shot was horrified and got particularly bent out of shape, kept telling me I had to apologize and get counseling and so on. I invited her to butt out, may have recommended duck tape for the mouthy thing. I was younger then.

I was most certainly not telling the woman to kill herself or do anything else stupid, I was attempting to make a sardonic joke about the nature of certainty. It seems humor varies among individuals.

Chip Lindley
07-21-2010, 11:28 PM
April Fools joke or No, cutting-edge-types everywhere will be plunking down their plastic for the latest hi tech safety device. And then they will the first to sue when the contraption breaks their wrist!! Pfffftttt!

Don Alexander
07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
a sense of humor and common sense are irrevocably intertwined

and as has already been mentioned both are in short supply

people would do well to heed the advice my grandmother gave me when i was about 12 ........ she said " engage your brain before you open your mouth" , "think before you speak " and she probably said it a few other ways as well :D