PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my router table - my situation

Charles Wilson
07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Well, I am finishing a router table build and it is time to insert the router. Due to $$$, I am going to use my Bosch 1617 in the table and have my Festool plunge router as my handheld unit.

Anyhow, I was looking at plates from woodpeckers (both the phenolic and the cast aluminum) and was considering purchasing this collar for the router so I can adjust from above the table:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=router+table+bosch+1617&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12865370287455379330&ei=HE4vTOKKD8SAlAfOwrCCCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

Any comments or suggestions that might help me out?

Regards,
Chuck

glenn bradley
07-20-2010, 1:18 PM
Having run my 5625 without a lift for quite awhile I will give you my experience. Since I had to reach under the table to lock the motor anyway, I found that after several uses of the t-wrench, I stopped using it and just used the knob from underneath. The above the table adjustment looked like the right way to go on paper.

In practice, since my body position had to be such that I was prepared to lock the base, I was already in position to adjust the bit. This posture also put me at a height where I could sight across the top of the bit to adjust height . . . again, I was already down there so, the t-wrench fell into dis-use. I actually mailed one of mine to a member who was looking for one as I had 2 and didn't even use 1.

That was just my experience. Yours may differ but, you could save the $50 till you find out ;-)

Will Overton
07-20-2010, 1:58 PM
Having run my 5625 without a lift for quite awhile I will give you my experience. Since I had to reach under the table to lock the motor anyway, I found that after several uses of the t-wrench, I stopped using it and just used the knob from underneath. The above the table adjustment looked like the right way to go on paper.

I completely agree. While I did eventually get a lift, prior to that I found it easier to just reach under the table, make the adjustment and lock it down. Being a slow learner, it took me until the second time I made the adjustments and cranked up the router without locking it to convince me.

Mark Duksta
07-21-2010, 8:08 AM
Charles,

For about $60 more you can get one of these:

https://www.jessemdirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=02302A

I just bought one to use with my 1617EVS.

Mark

Charles Wilson
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
What about the bit for cutting the plate/lift into the table top?

Mark Duksta
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi Charles,

Jessem sells an expensive template for the cutting the opening for the router insert, but here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to use an inlay kit to create a template for the insert (inlay kit (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001391/1633/Solid-Brass-Router-Inlay-Set--Whiteside-9500.aspx))

I'll use the the inlay bushing and bit to follow the outside of the plate, then I'll use that template to make the actual template I'll use. That way I can use a large pattern bit to route the lip that holds the plate.

I hope that makes sense. I'm still waiting for the lift to arrive.

Mark