PDA

View Full Version : tornade sounds

Jerome Stanek
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
What did tornadoes sound like betore there were freight trains

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Wagon trains? You guys are sure asking some interesting questions today.

Jim O'Dell
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Stampeding herd of Buffalo. But you had to have your ear to the ground to hear it in time to take shelter, otherwise it was too late. :D Jim.

Jim Rimmer
07-20-2010, 1:36 PM
Makes you wonder if the first time someone saw a train they said it sounded like a tornado.:rolleyes:

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 1:52 PM
Sam, Sam, git yer horse . . . we got to run for cover. There's a tornader a comin'.

Naw Jake, that ain't no tornader, that there's one of them new fangled trains. Ain't no need to run.

But, gosh darn it, Sam. With 'em soundin' so much alike, how we gone know if it a tornader or a danged train on the way?

Well, Jake, tornaders usually don't blow their whistle when they're a comin' into town. :p

Tom Winship
07-20-2010, 6:28 PM
Belinda, you have a sense of humor. Were you a screen writer in a previous life, or did you just hang out at Tara?

Eddie Watkins
07-20-2010, 8:13 PM
Having been in a tornado on May 10th, I can tell you my tornado did not sound like a freight train. It's like saying snake tastes like chicken. It just ain't so. It was a very loud noise but I believe it is indescribeable. I was literally in the tornado as I ran to the storm shelter. Part of my neighbors house flew past me and crashed thru my garage door so I got to listen really close, not a train.

Jim Rimmer
07-20-2010, 9:08 PM
Having been in a tornado on May 10th, I can tell you my tornado did not sound like a freight train. It's like saying snake tastes like chicken. It just ain't so. It was a very loud noise but I believe it is indescribeable. I was literally in the tornado as I ran to the storm shelter. Part of my neighbors house flew past me and crashed thru my garage door so I got to listen really close, not a train.
OKC has had more than their share in the last few years. I survived a couple in southern Okla. when I was a kid. Glad you made it to the hidey hole in time.

Eddie Watkins
07-21-2010, 3:51 PM
OKC has had more than their share in the last few years. I survived a couple in southern Okla. when I was a kid. Glad you made it to the hidey hole in time.
THe funny thing about it: as I was running to the cellar with a bucket over my head and my granddaughters, I was thinking "this doesn't sound like a train", as if that were significant at that time.:o There is just no explaining stupid.:rolleyes:

Jim Finn
07-21-2010, 6:24 PM
The only one I was within a block of, was in Wisconsin and it sounded like a train overhead ,for sure.

Bryan Rocker
07-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I came up close and personal with an F5 tornado May 3, 1999. Our house got clobbered by the debris from the backside. Having been around jet aircraft, it sounded much more like a jet engine. Having said that, the biggest sensation was the need to pop my eardrum non-stop. The pressure movement was incredible. My biggest fear was when I had one hand on the closet door and one hand on the flashlight and the roof started to go. I was like, Crap, now what am I going to hold on to......The worst 15 seconds of my life.....It didn't go but the house was totaled.....Jet engine for sure.........

Larry Norton
07-22-2010, 6:12 AM
This is what our house looked like after an F-4 tornado. It sounded more like a jet engine or a huge street sweeper.

Rich Engelhardt
07-22-2010, 7:13 AM

Same as they do now..

Only the words have changed.

"Umpa kinikkika ha"!!! (ancient Native American)

Rough translation into modern English:

"Ohhhh S***"!!!

BTW - speaking of ancient American,,

"Vegatarian" is old Shawnee for:
"Lousy hunter".
;)

Jim Rimmer
07-22-2010, 2:07 PM
Same as they do now..

Only the words have changed.

"Umpa kinikkika ha"!!! (ancient Native American)

Rough translation into modern English:

"Ohhhh S***"!!!

BTW - speaking of ancient American,,

"Vegatarian" is old Shawnee for:
"Lousy hunter".
;)
Great response. LOL

Cliff McNeill
07-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Makes you wonder if the first time someone saw a train they said it sounded like a tornado.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm? :)

Mitchell Andrus
07-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Belinda, you have a sense of humor. Were you a screen writer in a previous life, or did you just hang out at Tara?

She kills at charades, too.

Eddie Watkins
07-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I came up close and personal with an F5 tornado May 3, 1999. Our house got clobbered by the debris from the backside. Having been around jet aircraft, it sounded much more like a jet engine. Having said that, the biggest sensation was the need to pop my eardrum non-stop. The pressure movement was incredible. My biggest fear was when I had one hand on the closet door and one hand on the flashlight and the roof started to go. I was like, Crap, now what am I going to hold on to......The worst 15 seconds of my life.....It didn't go but the house was totaled.....Jet engine for sure.........
Jet engine sounds more right to me based on my experience. Maybe they all don't sound the same. Were you in the Oklahoma City tornado on Myy 3, 1999? That one still has the record for the highest wind speed ever recorded at 317 mph.