PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use reman/compatible toner for laser printer?

Brian Elfert
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Does anyone use remanufactured or compatible toner cartridges for their laser printer? I have a Xerox Phaser 6180. The OEM cartridges are $100 each for 2,000 pages or $200 each for 6,000 pages. I see compatible cartridges for $100 or so for 6,000 pages.

I would have no problem using brand name compatible toner like Imation Earthwise or Ikon, but they don't do Xerox 6180.

I almost bought Monoprice compatible cartridges, but I read the one review of the 6180 cartridge and it was really bad. Loose toner all over and the cartridges were reported to be refilled OEM cartridges. Not clear if they replaced the fuser or not.

Bill LaPointe
07-20-2010, 1:32 PM
I have used re-manufactured toner cartridges for 10 years. We have had as many as 10 HP printers in use and have only had 1 cartridge that didn't function properly, and it was promptly replaced. We do not use color printers so I can't tell you anything about them. There are many good suppliers on Ebay.

David Weaver
07-20-2010, 1:36 PM
I am using a compatible cartridge for a HP 1018 ( a very small laser printer ). the cartridge is the compatible version of the HP 12A, I think.

I haven't had good experience with it, but I should've expected that it might not be high quality at the price ($38 shipped for two full cartridges vs. $80 for one name brand). Top inch or so of my page is covered in gray.

There was some plastic seal/sticker on the cartridge that I had a hard time getting off when I got it, though, and who knows if that damaged something. Comments on amazon seemed to be similar to my experience.

OTOH, I have an uncle who does a lot of printing for his small business, probably 10,000 pages a month, and he's used reman for client-ready stuff, and never had an issue with them. I may have just gone a little too cheap on it buy buying the cheapest available.

Brian Elfert
07-20-2010, 5:54 PM
I guess my problem is knowing what compatible cartridges are good at what price? $89 is probably too cheap for a $200+ plus OEM cartridge, but do I need to pay $149 for one? Is price even a determiner of quality?

I found a couple more companies that are major brand names in the 3rd party toner business, but again they don't carry toner for my model.

Bill LaPointe
07-20-2010, 7:49 PM
Check the feedback on Ebay and buy from the high ones.