PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-06-2004, 9:05 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. The holiday season is upon us and many are very busy with making gifts for family and friends.

I worked a good bit in the shop this weekend as I'm working on 5 music boxes for gifts and 3 of them are commission work for a customer in Dallas, TX. Gotta get those done this week and shipped.....so this week will be "push week" for me. I have been off work for the last 2 weeks and now it's back to business today.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks and holidays to you all.

Jim Becker
12-06-2004, 9:16 AM
Per my continuing thread about the armoire, I was back into the "finishing" game for most of the weekend and since I ended up using varnish, it put the kabash on doing anything that would raise dust for the most part. I did finally get the glass doors completed and hung in the kitchen...something that's been "hanging around" on the to-do list for a long time. A few weeks ago I finally got around to ordering the Lustrex glass panels (not inexpensive but much nicer looking than standard frosted glass) and that material finally came in early in the week. So I got to work late in the day on Sunday once there was no issue with dust and milled up some 3/8" x 1/4" strips to use to hold the glass in the doors. The pictures below show those operations as well as the almost completed results...I need three additional pulls since I seem to have run out or just plain misplaced the "inventory". Dr. SWMBO and I are very pleased with the result, however, and once I get the piece of soapstone on top of this cabinet, the project is finally completed. With any luck, I can start on some new things next weekend including getting some spinny time in for a change!

Pics:

Mitering the strips that will hold the glass in the door frames
Test fitting each piece prior to painting them to match the doors. They were then installed using a pinner
The installed doors in place...waiting for three more pulls

Tyler Howell
12-06-2004, 9:21 AM
Nice 3 dayer.
Trim work, Milling up molding for windows and doors. Rather than mess any more with the basement door I'm tearing it out and putting in a pre hung. The new LN 102 is a delight to use. What a treasure:cool: .
Treated my family to a Holiday concert of local talent that may have been in your neighborhood, Moore Bye 4. Just what I needed to get jump started on the festivities.

Brought Shrek 2 from my collection over to view with my mom. She's been home bound for a while and we all got a good laugh.:D :D

Have a good week and play safe.

Mark Singer
12-06-2004, 9:30 AM
Since the LOML is in Peru, I was able to spend more time in the shop. I worked on finishin the bath cabinet...almost done now...shelves are done,but need to be installed. I made 2 walnut mirror frames for a friend. And helped my daughter hand a large mirror at her new home. I guess it was productive.

Dave Anderson NH
12-06-2004, 9:37 AM
Worked on finishing and assembling more marking knives and awls. I'll soon have pix of my two new wood varieties- Tiger Maple and cocobolo. Went to visit a woodworking friend on the other side of town and he gifted me with some really nice cutoffs of gunstock grade fiddleback maple. 12/4 stuff and some of the nicest I've ever seen. Did some rearranging in the machine room and finally made a wall hanger to get my 6" x48" sanding belts out of the corner. Emptied all of the dust collection stuff and cleaned it up to prepare for winter. Yesterday was the first day of the season I had a fire in the bench room woodstove. Really nice and toasty.

Mark J Bachler
12-06-2004, 9:37 AM
Friday Night

Slipped on the ice;

Hit the concrete;

Broke a rib;
and the peg head on my 12 string;
Bummer

Glued the peghead back together (have to wait & see)
The rib's gonna take a little longer.
Got a cold also with that coughing thing going on.

Some days it just don’t pay to get out of bed.

Scott Coffelt
12-06-2004, 9:43 AM
I had high intentions to make shop progress this week, I have several gifts still to make....

But Nooooooooo,

Friday night LOML and I celebrated our 14th anniversay that happened earlier in the week. We had a nice dinner and spent the evening touring the art district. They have a 7-9PM openings first Friday of every month.

Saturday we cleaned the house and took the little guy to Science City to see Grossology and other stuff. Wound up spending the whole day there. He sure had fun and I learned how farts and snot are made (not like I didn't already know, but making the sounds was fun :D ) Watched SpiderMan 2 that evening with him.

Sunday was spent at a classmates B-day party for my son. And then I watched football as it was raining here and just didn't seem like a motivated day.

So, that means a really busy week for me instead, besides my other real job.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2004, 9:49 AM
Saturday I did some "business" items that I hadn't been able to get to in the past busy week. Also went to the Borg and purchased 10 20amp 120volt outlets for the shop. Installed 5 of them and a 20 amp GFCI in the shop Saturday afternoon. I no longer need an extention cord to work in the shop! Yes!!!!!!!

Sunday, I cleaned the gutters and wired up another circuit for wall outlets in the shop. Now have half the wall outlets (10 standard 20 amp wall outlets and 2 20 amp GFCIs) wired. Watched a little football.

Our youngest son and wife from San Antonio arrive Friday along with the rest of the kids and grandkids. As the youngest and spouse had planned this trip for some months, we are celebrating Christmas early.....this weekend. This coupled with a new MR scanner I'm installing will make for a busy week.

Matt Meiser
12-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Friday I took off work early and heading to the Woodworking Show which was in town. I went to a joinery seminar by Marc Adams and spent about four hours there and came home with by birthday/Christmas present--a Tormek. Also bought a japanese dovetail saw and some other small items.

Saturday we went to my wife's family Christmas party 1/2 way across the state. When we got back we put up our Christmas tree and cleaned up the basement.

Sunday afternoon I spent several hours with the Tormek. Sharpened 8 planes and two chisels. That's more than I've sharpened in the last 2 years. Now almost all the planes I have been collecting for the last 2 years are usable. I still need more practice with the Tormek, but I'm already getting pretty good edges.

Bob Reeve
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I Spent Saturday preparing and planting a bed of 100 daffodils for the LOML for Christmas. Sunday I put up the tree and lights and spent several hours in the shop finishing up Christmas presents for my family. Picture will come as soon as I get my camera back. Made up 4 walnut and maple cutting boards (ala Mike Schwing) and 4 artist brush holders out of Birdseye maple and Padauk.

Now I can on to shop stuff like clamp racks, cutoff sled etc.

John M. Cioffi
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Got some time in the shop making Christmas gifts that People are buying. I posted this on the Turner's forum.

Just a couple of sample pics. I guess I can't upload the same pics again.They are in the Making Christmas Gifts thread in the turner's forum.

Sunday afternoon,LOML & I watched the NASCAR awards & then I installed 2 pull-out basket trays under the counter for her various things; re-cyclables,ect.
Mark,
Sorry to hear of your accident. hope you heal up real fast.
Have a great day,
ALL.
John

John Miliunas
12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
More window trim cut, inlayed, re-planed, "dyed" and finish on. Cleared out the rest of the small storage area next to the shop and started building/installing a rack system for rough-cut lumber storage. Picked up some 8/4 Hard Maple for the workbench project. Finished up a "refurb" job on some boxes for LOML, which she is making into display stands. Tuned up and got to practice a bit with the ECE 711. That MK II sure makes life easier for doing stuff like that! All in all, pretty productive. Have a great week, everyone! :) :cool:

Lou Morrissette
12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Saturday I finish sanded the drywall in the shop and threw a coat of primer on it. On Sunday, took LOML to the Christmas parade in town then settled in to watch some football. Go Pats!!!:D

Russell Svenningsen
12-06-2004, 1:18 PM
The new shop is painted!!!!! :D
Hallelujah! That's done! The difference in light perception is incredible(went from dark paneling to white, eggshell finish).

Installed 2 new fluourescent light fixtures. Moving tools around, finding where they "like" to be. Having some new 220 outlets installed this week(finally).

Pics will come when all is done. I cannot believe how blessed I am to have a shop like this. Working in there sure beats the unheated 1-car, 1-15amp outlet garage I was working in back in Cincinnati.

Later,
Russell

Dan Gill
12-06-2004, 1:43 PM
[size=3]Friday Night

Slipped on the ice;

Hit the concrete;

Broke a rib;
Bummer

Man, that's a tough one! Ribs hurt! Take it easy and don't do too much before you're healed.

Marshall Harrison
12-06-2004, 1:43 PM
Spent all day Saturday at the church working on the new stage. Installed trim and some more support headers (back wall is 13' high).

Sunday went to church then spent some time putting new table saw together. Hope to finish it this week but my evenings are pretty well tied up already. Only time will tell.

Dan Gill
12-06-2004, 1:45 PM
I got very little done in the shop, just a coat of poly on the A&C bookshelf I'm building for my son and his wife. I spent a bunch of time up at church helping to finish the stage for the Christmas show, and in rehearsal.

Tyler Howell
12-06-2004, 1:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mark J Bachler]Friday Night

Slipped on the ice;

Hit the concrete;

Broke a rib;

Is the Guitar OK, Is the Guitar OK???:eek: Hope it's fixed soon!:(

Oh yah! hope your feeling better too Mark:p

Keith Christopher
12-06-2004, 6:32 PM
Spent the weekend recuoping from Pneumonia. I'm just about back to 100% !!! the workshop is calling me.

Thomas Prondzinski
12-06-2004, 7:57 PM
I posted earlier about the 42 sheets of sheetrock I bought ,thought I would have to store as a kitchen job presented itself. Well friday I decided sheetrock has to go up,so moved all tools,wood etc. out.Got a sheetrock jack saturday,spent all day sat.and sun hanging sheetrock.Had Monday off,new furnace installed in the house,spent all day in garage tapeing and mudding.Have to go next sat. to get wood for kitchen job.It was a go.

Tom

Jim Becker
12-06-2004, 7:59 PM
Yo, Tom!! Pictures?????????

Kelly C. Hanna
12-06-2004, 8:02 PM
I worked all weekend getting some last minute shelves and a corner unit built for our current cabinet project. Today we sprayed the poly on about 65% of the cabinets.

I had plenty of time in the shop http://thewoodworkers.us/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif albeit not for anything for us.... I also have not started my Christmas presents yet. YIKES!!! <STYLE type=text/css><!--td.attachrow { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; }td.attachheader { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; background-color: #D1D7DC; }table.attachtable { font: normal 12px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; border-collapse : collapse; }--></STYLE>

Fred Voorhees
12-06-2004, 8:35 PM
Jeepers creepers Jim Becker - that 45 degree miter sled is a darned near perfect match to mine here in Ringoes.

My weekend was pretty much spent in the shop knocking out this nearly eight foot high bookcase which will be located in the new bar room. It will be nestled in-between the two window seats on the East wall and anchor that portion of the room.

Unit is fabbed from 3/4" red oak ply throughout with solid red oak face framing and a 1/4" back. Although you can't see it in these particular photos, the outside edging of the face frame has a double beaded treatment.

Just the basic box is built right now. I have yet to finish off the top with crown moulding and I still need to get out my brand new Rockler shelf pin jig and locate the holes for the "pin" shelf supports. Also need to fab up the four of five shelves.

I know, I know - you are wondering about the "cut-outs" on the bottom and top of the unit. Well, it is supposed to be a faux "built-in". That means that at the top of the assembly, it is sliding underneath the soffit that pretty much surrounds the room and at the bottom, it covers over what is left of the original concrete block foundation.

Joe Mioux
12-06-2004, 9:25 PM
For the most part, worked. I'm really busy right now and there are alot of hours spent away from home. I tried to do some woodworking Sunday afternoon, but got interupted by kids and loml. That is ok, spent time, in the shop, with Anna just talking. :) My shop has become the place to congregate.:confused: I don't like turning on power tools when the kids are throwing balls, or roller blading or climbing on stuff. So not much woodworking was accomplished, but again that is ok. I still enjoyed my time in my shop.