PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 / Roland Martin

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 9:34 AM
Well, finally got to complete my entries. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess fall or winter may have been more comfortable and have a little more available time for everybody to turn. What can I say, I'm a rookie:confused:.

I certainly would like to thank all that have either joined the challenge, will join and all who take part in replying & commenting. Seven months ago, I would have never thought I would be taking part in a forum. Thanks to all for showing, teaching, commenting, offering suggestions, and making this forum so easy to enjoy. ;)

My utilitarian entry is a black cherry bowl, my #9, measures 7 3/4" x 2 3/4" and about 3/16" thick. It has an undercut rim & a different shape than usual for me.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2010, 9:51 AM
Well, finally got to complete my entries. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess fall or winter may have been more comfortable and have a little more available time for everybody to turn. What can I say, I'm a rookie:confused:.

I certainly would like to thank all that have either joined the challenge, will join and all who take part in replying & commenting. Seven months ago, I would have never thought I would be taking part in a forum. Thanks to all for showing, teaching, commenting, offering suggestions, and making this forum so easy to enjoy. ;)

My utilitarian entry is a black cherry bowl, my #9, measures 7 3/4" x 2 3/4" and about 3/16" thick. It has an undercut rim & a different shape than usual for me.

Nice bowl Roland,

I like your form, and the sanding job was very good as well. This one is a classic!

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
This is a second attempt at my art piece, needed some practice:eek:;). After ruining a beautiful piece of ambrosia maple from Mike Smith (sorry Mike:mad:), I decided to use some of the figured Spanish Cedar I had hanging around.

Not having much for a sense on what to call this thing, I'll just go with "Spanish Fly" :confused: I'ts my first, well, really second attempt at a two-piece hollow form, or any hollow form for that matter!
The two halves are Tiger Spanish Cedar with a band of black walnut between them. Decided to glue on a walnut collar, added a spanish cedar ring and a walnut finial. Also went with a walnut foot.
The HF is 3" tall x 6" across and about 1/8" thick. The foot is 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" across. The finial is 3 1/4" tall x 1 1/4" at the bottom with the narrowest part being just shy of 1/8". The collar is 3/8" tall x 2 1/8" across. All in all, 7 1/8" tall x 6" wide. Finished with 2 coats of teak oil and 2 coats of satin wipe-on poly.

Thanks for looking and of course, let me know what's wrong & what's right:)

Roger Chandler
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
This is a second attempt at my art piece, needed some practice:eek:;). After ruining a beautiful piece of ambrosia maple from Mike Smith (sorry Mike:mad:), I decided to use some of the figured Spanish Cedar I had hanging around.

Not having much for a sense on what to call this thing, I'll just go with "Spanish Fly" :confused: I'ts my first, well, really second attempt at a two-piece hollow form, or any hollow form for that matter!
The two halves are Tiger Spanish Cedar with a band of black walnut between them. Decided to glue on a walnut collar, added a spanish cedar ring and a walnut finial. Also went with a walnut foot.
The HF is 3" tall x 6" across and about 1/8" thick. The foot is 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" across. The finial is 3 1/4" tall x 1 1/4" at the bottom with the narrowest part being just shy of 1/8". The collar is 3/8" tall x 2 1/8" across. All in all, 7 1/8" tall x 6" wide. Finished with 2 coats of teak oil and 2 coats of satin wipe-on poly.

Thanks for looking and of course, let me know what's wrong & what's right:)

Roland,

A very nice hollow form. Not only did you use Tiger Spanish Cedar, but I think you captured the "spanish" essence in the finial as well. That is an unusual finial, very distinctive, and reminds one of some of the architecture seen in ornate spanish buildings.

A nice accomplishment indeed! Thanks for sharing both turnings with us :)

John Keeton
07-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Roland, you have done well! And, you are right about the timing - sweating it out in July/August takes fortitude! That is one reason I did my entry early on.

I like both pieces. The bowl is very nice - good form and the wood is very warm and fitting to the bowl.

The art entry is extremely interesting! I love the wood combo. Good contrast of color and grain. The finial style compliments the form, and brings it together very well. Also looks like you did an excellent job with tool control.

Great job!!

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Really nice pieces Roland. Yep it has been a hot one here and shop time has been early in the morning. 100's all week. Little window A/C isn't cutting it.

Steve Mawson
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Great job Roland. Really like the art piece. Would look very nice on my coffee table. Just read a piece on turning hollow forms in 2 pieces, looks interesting. Good-believe you have advanced beyond rookie status.

Dennis Ford
07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Good job on both pieces. The utility piece has nice form, wood and finish, it could easily be used as decorative or functional. The art piece has an unusual but attractive form, all the curves fit together well. It also has that gorgeous wood. You are certainly no longer a "rookie".

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2010, 1:29 PM
Very nice work on both pieces Roland!

Really like the bowl - especially the slanted rim. Always adds just a little something unexpected!

Very interesting art piece! You really had to do some thinking to get all those parts to work together! Nice job! Really like the Cedar!

Thanks for sharing!

Tony De Masi
07-20-2010, 2:13 PM
Very nice work on both pieces Roland. At first I wasn't too sure about the finial on the HF but the more I study it the more I like it.

Well done.

Tony

Baxter Smith
07-20-2010, 2:21 PM
Great work Roland! Can't go wrong with a cherry bowl. As pretty as it is utilitaritan!
Do you kind of feel like you took a giant leap when you started putting different kinds of wood together in a turning?:) The art piece has a great combination of colors. With the thicker base to the finial, it made me think this would be a gread looking lidded vessel. Could be your next leap!

Karl Card
07-20-2010, 2:35 PM
That is my kind of bowl... love it. It is ironic that you did 2 piece hollow form. I just came across a website showing that. Very cool.

Not sure about spanish fly tho, wasnt that used in a womans drink back in the 60's or 70's. .... Ö¿Ö

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 3:18 PM
If you remember the 60's - 70's, you weren't there:D:cool: Thanks Karl

Thom Sturgill
07-20-2010, 5:08 PM
Very nice Roland. I like both pieces very much, and that figured cedar is lovely.

Karl Card
07-20-2010, 5:13 PM
Roland just kidding man....

But spanish cedar is that the cedar they use for humidors?

I have a couple of boards of spanish cedar here and wondering what I should make of it.... dont smoke cigars .....yet.....

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 5:50 PM
Roland just kidding man....

But spanish cedar is that the cedar they use for humidors?

I have a couple of boards of spanish cedar here and wondering what I should make of it.... dont smoke cigars .....yet.....

I figured, I was kidding too:). You're right, humidors, cigar boxes, used for a less expensive alternative for mahogany, etc... It really stinks though:eek:

FYI, There was a lot of drug experimentation in the 60's - 70's, so the saying goes "If you remember the 60's, you probably weren't there"
That's what I meant:)

Karl Card
07-20-2010, 7:22 PM
I figured, I was kidding too:). You're right, humidors, cigar boxes, used for a less expensive alternative for mahogany, etc... It really stinks though:eek:

FYI, There was a lot of drug experimentation in the 60's - 70's, so the saying goes "If you remember the 60's, you probably weren't there"
That's what I meant:)

oh no harm taking here.... lol i was born in 62 and still today think that is part of my problem..... not what I did but what my parents did.....and didnt remember...lol

David E Keller
07-20-2010, 8:18 PM
Nice job, Roland.

I don't know that I can add anything about the pieces that hasn't already been said, and you have every reason to be proud of both pieces. I've not seen Spanish cedar before, but I really like the looks of it.

I have to say that I greatly appreciate your vision for the challenge... perhaps it can become an annual event.

charlie knighton
07-20-2010, 8:47 PM
very nice, Roland

John Hart
07-20-2010, 9:16 PM
Great pieces Roland!! I could sit with that bowl full of ice cream and stare at your art piece for hours. The finial reminds me of some orthodox church spires in the area here. Very cool.:)

Roland Martin
07-21-2010, 9:11 AM
Roger: Thanks for the kind words.

John K.: Thank you for the narrated pictorial post you blessed us with on the process of a two piece HF. That was a great help and pushed me to give it a try. At times it tried my patience, but overall it was an extremely fun & gratifying process. I would have to say that tool control is the biggest part I took away from this and taught me overall to be patient, "light touch:)"

Bernie: Live & Learn, I won't do this to you guys again in the summer heat:eek:!:)

Steve M.: You'll have to deal with my wife if you want it on your coffee table:). This 2-piece HF was extremely interesting & fun, especially since I have yet to acquire any hollowing tools, give it a try!

Dennis: Thank you for your kind words.

Steve S.: Yes, thinking ahead is a necessity on something like this, as I learned quickly on my first attempt:eek: Thank you Steve.

Tony: Thank you Tony. I guess I'm still not completely happy with the lower proportions of the finial, but I keep telling myself this was a great learning opportunity;)

Baxter: Yes Baxter, I felt like I was thrown into a new dimension with this piece, a little more foresight needed in comparison to bowls:). Definitely taught me to step back & slow down. A lidded vessel is certainly something I'll be trying soon. Thank you!

Karl: LOL:D My poor kids! what have I done:eek:! :D:D Thanks for the comments Karl.

Thom: Thank you Thom

David: I'm enjoying this challenge a lot, an awesome avenue to learn and see what everybody's vision of art & utility is without the burden of the pressures of signing up or needing a competitive edge to join in. An annual ritual would be awesome!:)

Charlie: Thank you!

John H.: I don't know about sitting and staring at the art piece for hours, may need some Deft for that:D. The ice cream really sounds good:) Thanks John