PDA

View Full Version : The History Of Lighted Signs

Stephen Tashiro
07-20-2010, 9:25 AM
Before the age of electricity, did businesses use lanterns or candles to illuminate their signs?

Pat Germain
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Before electricity, I don't think most businesses were open after dark. Those that were, like saloons, didn't really need a lighted sign.

Dan Hintz
07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't be so silly, Stephen... they used lightning bugs captured in jars. they didn't even need fancy-schmancy electronic controllers to get the flashing lights effect.

David G Baker
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Don't think loghted signs were needed because folks didn't do a lot of shopping at night other than saloon visits. Most folks were in bed quite early due to having to get an early start in the morning. How did they survive without TV and the Internet? :D

Garth Keel
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
lighted signs and electricity people watched t.v. and scanned the internet in the dark. Don't you read your Kindle history books?:D

Don Alexander
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
if theres noone around to see the sign is it really unlit? o:eek::D:D:D

Stephen Tashiro
07-20-2010, 2:02 PM
If a saloon had a big glass window with letters painted on it, then I suppose they could have set a lamp "in" the window. But I was expecting some story about an old sign that had brackets to hold lanterns or candles. The results, so far, are very disappointing.

Zach England
07-20-2010, 2:26 PM
Anyone know the history of the "red light" in "red light district"?

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 2:45 PM
Perhaps the fear of a fire outbreak was so great that they didn't light the signs at all. Dang, I wish someone would hurry up and build a time machine.

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 2:48 PM
Anyone know the history of the "red light" in "red light district"?

Probably not fact, but I like the explanation, and it ties into the tornado/freight train thread.

According to the Origin of Phrases (http://members.aol.com/MorelandC/HaveOriginsData.htm#RedLightDistrict) site, the term "red-light district" dates back to the railroading days around the beginning of the 20th century. Railroad crews used red lanterns for signaling and lighting, and most crew members carried one with them as they left the train yard. When they paid a visit to a working girl, the men would leave the lantern on the porch of the prostitute's house while they were inside, probably to signal that she was busy.

Jim Rimmer
07-20-2010, 5:29 PM
Probably not fact, but I like the explanation, and it ties into the tornado/freight train thread.

According to the Origin of Phrases (http://members.aol.com/MorelandC/HaveOriginsData.htm#RedLightDistrict) site, the term "red-light district" dates back to the railroading days around the beginning of the 20th century. Railroad crews used red lanterns for signaling and lighting, and most crew members carried one with them as they left the train yard. When they paid a visit to a working girl, the men would leave the lantern on the porch of the prostitute's house while they were inside, probably to signal that she was busy.
That's the story I've always heard.

Kent A Bathurst
07-21-2010, 5:57 AM
Don't be so silly, Stephen... they used lightning bugs captured in jars. they didn't even need fancy-schmancy electronic controllers to get the flashing lights effect.

Correct - except in Philadelphia. They used house keys tied to kite string.

Carlos Alden
07-21-2010, 9:54 AM
This is my favorite lighted sign.

Carlos

------------
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2971187066_cd18c99f9e.jpg

Ben Franz
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
When I was in college (waaaay back!) I worked as a draftsman for a lighted sign company. Their biggest client at the time was KFC - they built and installed the lighted cupola roof systems for all new KFC construction. This was before the first energy crisis/panic and many business signs would be full width light boxes. Sherwin Williams paint stores were another big customer. Amazing how times change - outside of Las Vegas, who would even consider that type of signage now? I imagine that sign company and most like it have disappeared or changed drastically.

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
They've probably moved to LEDs... pricey to start, but significantly more energy efficient.