PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw dilemma: G0555p or G0513P

Tom Rash
07-20-2010, 8:52 AM
I am trying to pick out a bandsaw before the end of the month and I have narrowed it down to the following: G0555p or G0513P. The price difference is about $300, which could go towards another tool as I still need to buy a jointer and planer sometime before the fall.

The question is if the 0513 is worth the extra money? A couple of the reservations I have is that I have never had a bandsaw so I am not sure if I need a big one to resaw since I have never done it. The other issue with the 0513 is the weight as it has to go in a basement. The 513 is 350 pounds, while the 555 is 200. 350 pounds seems like it would be a bear to get downstairs. Does anyone have any ideas to make it around 250 pounds.

I was also thinking of getting the riser for the 555 if I did get that. For those who have that is it worth it? Thanks for any suggestions. I have been checking craigslist all spring and summer, but the bing cashback is ending and I want to get this while I can. Thanks

glenn bradley
07-20-2010, 9:03 AM
I have never been unhappy that I went with the G0513X. A few folks here have made it down stairs more easily by removing the motor (not a big deal) and table (also not a big deal). Many folks are happy with the 555 and the 513 format so you will hear a lot of good both ways. Fundamentally, on a BS, bigger is better. Your likelyhood for buyer's remorse is pretty slim on the 513 chassis.

Cary Falk
07-20-2010, 9:05 AM
I went from a Delta 14" with a riser block to a G0513X2. The saws are not in the same league. To lighten the load you can remove the table, motor and wheels(as a last resort) to lighten the load. I haded my Delta. My brother has the G0555 with a riser block and loves it. I am in the camp now that believes that if you are even thinking of puting a riser block on then just go with a larger steel frame BS. On the other hand there are a lot of G0555 w/riser people that are happy and think they will not need another BS. When all was said and done, I had about as much in to my 14" as Grizzly is asking for the 17". Only you can decide whether it is worth the extra 3 bills.

Prashun Patel
07-20-2010, 9:27 AM
I have the G0555. It's a fine saw. But if I could do it again, I'd get a 17" saw. You'll appreciate the extra power and capacity when you need it.

As far as moving goes, you can disconnect the motor which'll drop the weight by 40 lbs. The table probably also weighs another 30 lbs.

The G0555 frame is also two-part; the top and bottom can be unbolted. I was able to move the G0555 to the basement easily by myself. I'm not sure if the G0513 can be disassembled similarly.

Beware that the 513 comes prewired to 220v. It CAN operate at 110, but it'll draw (from the specs) 20A, which means yr taking yr chances running that on a 20A circuit. If wiring 220v is not in cards for you, then you will be happy with the G0555.

And yes, get the riser if you do decide on G0555. It's a pain to do it later since you'll have to scrap any 93" blades you have.

Dave Houseal
07-20-2010, 9:34 AM
Tom, I can't speak to either saw as I'm also in the market for my first real band saw.

However, I did resaw for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I used a buddy's 14" delta, and I am sure I will be doing a lot more resawing once I get a better band saw. It's not hard to do. I had great results right off the bat and that was completely free hand. The work went quick and I saved a ton of lumber and planing.

Though my wife would have happily used the planer shavings in our horse stalls I'm not in the shop for the purpose of making bedding.

Enjoy the new saw whatever you pick!

Josiah Bartlett
07-20-2010, 1:42 PM
Being able to resaw on a whim really kicks your woodworking up to the next level. When it becomes easy, it becomes an option you didn't really think about it before. When you can resaw without having to worry about the blade drifting and ruining your piece or having to constantly tune your saw, it really becomes a useful action. A big bandsaw makes that a reality. Get the 17" if you can.

I banged out a table last Saturday that would have taken me much longer and cost a lot more if I didn't have a bandsaw that could resaw (I have a 16" Walker Turner). I had a couple of big chunks of clear tight grain cedar (basically firewood) sitting around, and my wife wanted a table for the porch. I was able to resaw the cedar into enough wood to make an entire 2x4' table, side rails, and legs and have it all milled, machined and assembled in an afternoon. The rails are mortised into the legs and the top is attached with clips. I had to glue up the top out of three boards, but the total cost was $0 to me. That's the beauty of a big bandsaw- you can turn endless pieces of seemingly useless wood into useable projects at no cost to you.

Robert McGill
07-20-2010, 2:28 PM
I have to agree with Josiah, get the 513 but only if you can support the power equirements. Running the 513 it a 120v will require a dedicated 20A (or higher) circuit. If you have a 220v circuit (not hard to add), then definately go with the 513.

Maik Tobin
07-20-2010, 2:33 PM
I have a 513 on order and it will go in my basement shop. My plan will be the same as what I did last month to get my new GO690 down there. It was actually very easy..
an appliance dolly and two large kids to get it down the bulkhead. Cost me $12 for the dolly rental and steaks for the help.

Mike Goetzke
07-20-2010, 7:04 PM
I went from a Delta 14" with a riser block to a G0513X2. The saws are not in the same league. To lighten the load you can remove the table, motor and wheels(as a last resort) to lighten the load. I haded my Delta. My brother has the G0555 with a riser block and loves it. I am in the camp now that believes that if you are even thinking of putting a riser block on then just go with a larger steel frame BS. On the other hand there are a lot of G0555 w/riser people that are happy and think they will not need another BS. When all was said and done, I had about as much in to my 14" as Grizzly is asking for the 17". Only you can decide whether it is worth the extra 3 bills.

I did the same thing. Had a closed stand 14" Delta w/riser and bought the G0513X2. Took delivery last Friday and I love the saw already. Yes, it's taller, has a much bigger cast top, roller bearing guides, cast wheels, includes a re-saw fence, easier to adjust just about everything, but, it actually takes less floor space width wise (and not much mode depth wise) than my Delta did. This was critical in my decision. I was about the buy the G0513P but for $180 thought the features of the X2 were well worth it. BS still fits between that old cabinet I had from my first house and my air compressor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Grizzly%20G0513X2/th_IMG_1038.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Grizzly%20G0513X2/?action=view&current=IMG_1038.jpg)

Good Luck

John Mark Lane
07-20-2010, 7:26 PM
I have to agree with Josiah, get the 513 but only if you can support the power equirements. Running the 513 it a 120v will require a dedicated 20A (or higher) circuit. If you have a 220v circuit (not hard to add), then definately go with the 513.

Actually, if you look at the spec sheet, it says a minimum 30 amp circuit on 110. I know the main page for the saw says 20 amp, but the spec sheet says 30. I called Grizzly a few weeks ago (about the other one, not the "Polar" one), and they were very nice but could not recommend getting the saw for 110 use if you don't have a 30 amp line. It's an important point. Personally, I can't get 220 in my shop (long story). It's disappointing that there are so few steel bandsaws of any substance that can run on 110. The Rikon 10-325 and the Jet 16 are the best options, it seems.

Will Overton
07-20-2010, 8:54 PM
I am not sure if I need a big one to resaw since I have never done it.

That one statement makes me suggest the larger saw. I bought a 14" Powermatic a year or 2 ago. However, after many, many years at this hobby, I knew what I wanted the bandsaw to do. I bought the riser, but only because it was on sale for $50. I've never installed it.

Since your are not sure, there's a 50/50 chance you'll eventually want the larger saw. It's best to be prepared.

ken gibbs
07-21-2010, 6:21 AM
I bought a new G0555 from Girzzley a year ago and love it. With a small selection of blades, it is a fine piece of machinery. Every time I use this bandsaw I am glad that I bought this tool. Absolutely no problems and its a pleasure to use.

Harold Burrell
07-21-2010, 7:15 AM
Personally, I don't see the dilemma. IF you can afford it, go with the bigger saw. You will not be sorry.

David Woodruff
07-21-2010, 10:15 AM
The motor and table should be easy to remove. Removing doors would also help. That ought to take off a hundred or so.

Mark Patoka
07-21-2010, 4:20 PM
I bought the G0555X with riser and have been happy with it. I don't have 220 so anything bigger was not an option but if I could afford it and had the wiring I would go with the biggest I could get, just because. You only have to move it downstairs once but will use it multiple times so buy what you want/need and don't worry too much about how to move it.

Tom Rash
07-29-2010, 9:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up buying the 0555p even though most everyone said to go with the larger saw. My biggest issue was power, looking at my panel in my basement I don't have much room left for a 220. I only had 2 openings left in my panel and the 220 would have taken both of them. I probably could have made it work, but it was easier to sell the wife on the smaller saw.

I still need to buy other tools so the $300 difference can be better spent elsewhere for now. I hope I don't regret the decision, but if I have to upgrade in the future I can maybe keep both saws.

Thanks again guys.

Prashun Patel
07-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey, I did just as you did. While I have minor regrets, my G0555 DOES do it's job fine.

I would encourage you, though to alter your order and get the riser blocks. This is the cheapest time to implement them, and they'll delay the 'need' for a larger saw possibly forever.

Get good blades, but don't get one thicker than 1/2".

You'll be happy!!!

Tom Rash
07-29-2010, 1:08 PM
i ordered the riser when I ordered the saw. Now i just have to order some blades. I figure I will be happy with it considering it is my first bandsaw. Thanks again.

Dan Karachio
07-29-2010, 4:48 PM
I was going to suggest my saw, a Rikon 14" 10-325 with 13" resaw capacity. You can get them at Woodcraft for about $700 with sales, $800 without. It runs on 110. However, the Grizzly 17" is the same price!!!! Wow!!! You have a better fence with Grizzly too - both of them. That said, if I could go with that 17" I would. You will never look back, or if you do, it would only be to get a cheaper used 14" for curved work and leave your 17" set up for dedicated resawing/ripping. For curve cutting any 14" will do and the power is not such a big deal.

Van Huskey
07-29-2010, 6:28 PM
You can not go wrong getting a 14" cast clone for your first saw, they are an excellent basic design that has been around for 70+ years and there is plenty of info and products available for them. Further, it gives you the perfect saw to keep for contour work when you get a bigger saw.

Dan Karachio
07-29-2010, 8:19 PM
Interesting Van and probably much smarter. So many of us want to jump in to the big saw first (or any tool), but your suggesting a smaller saw first makes a lot of sense. You know, this whole sense of paying your dues and learning the craft. I think many of us newer wood workers forget this.

Van Huskey
07-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Interesting Van and probably much smarter. So many of us want to jump in to the big saw first (or any tool), but your suggesting a smaller saw first makes a lot of sense. You know, this whole sense of paying your dues and learning the craft. I think many of us newer wood workers forget this.

I think this is particularly true with bandsaws since it is the first machine I would advocate even a hobby shop having two of, this also lets one not lose a penny when they upgrade because they can just keep the 14" saw. Many things are easier to learn on a smaller saw such as tracking though I am sure some will disagree. A funny story, I had a friend buy a big (24") used BS as his first saw, I went over set it up and gave it a quickie tune, I also showed him how to fold bands etc. About three days later I saw him and he has 5 sizable chunks out of his forehead, trying to fold a 1.25" carbide resaw blade 181" long proved a little over his head in skill and he had the 3 TPI marks to prove it...

Similarly, I used to be a track junkie and have melted a lot of Michelin rubber on road courses all over the East, lately I have become nothing but a track-day weekend warrior. About 6 months ago I was at a track day and a guy with a brand new ZR-1 was complaining he was placed in group B, he did so for so loud and so long he was bumped up to group A. The problem was during these HPDEs (High Performace Driving Events, so called for insurance purposes) you are NOT allowed to pass in the corners only on the straights, this allowed him to run away on the straights but despite being 200 hp down in my BMW by the time we got to the apex I could read the little "Corvette" on his right rear just to watch it vanish on the next straight. I was leading a line of about 15 cars, some down over 400 hp to the beast but packed up like taxis at the airport. At the end of the session he was so happy no one passed him, lets just say the rest of the participants weren't quite so happy.