PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Adjusting Jointer -- I think...

Tom LaRussa
12-06-2004, 7:59 AM
I'm posting below two pics of a piece of formerly square stock. I ran the piece through my power jointer about 50 times -- jointing the same face and direction each time -- to see if it's cutting squarely.

As the first pic shows, the lateral adjustment seems to be pretty good.

But you can see from second pic that the longitudinal adjustment seems to leave something to be desired, in that the repeated passes have turned the stock into a wedge.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Should I even worry about it, i.e., couldn't I just make sure to run each piece of stock in both directions in order to get around it?

TIA,

Chuck Wintle
12-06-2004, 8:04 AM
Have you checked the jointer for flatness, co-planarity and,possibly, a sagging table, either infeed or outfeed? Perhaps a slight misalignment will show up when stock is pushed through many times?

Steve Roxberg
12-06-2004, 8:27 AM
I had the exact problem you describe and in my case the outfeed table was sagging. You should tune the entire jointer.

1. Tables parrallel which is tested by seeing if you can get them coplanar.
2. Knives all set to the same height and level.
3. Knives set to be equal or 1/132 below the outfeed table.

The Delta web site in the FAQ section has a good article on adjusting the tables that would work for any jointer that uses dovetail ways.

I want to write a web page or article on how to do this someday, but haven't had the time.

Let me know if you need help, or have other questions.

John Miliunas
12-06-2004, 9:27 AM
Tom, I had something similar on mine a while back. In my case, the culprit was that I had the outfeed table set too high. Also, try backing off the amount of depth going into the cut. :cool:

Mark Singer
12-06-2004, 9:51 AM
Tom ,

It could be technique running it through. Since you are making mutiple passes it would exagerate any subtleties. If I want to make a wedge...I weight one side a bit more than another. If the surafce is straight...it should be fine.