PDA

View Full Version : Support for the Fight Against Cancer

John Mark Lane
07-19-2010, 9:52 PM
I don't know if this is ok, I guess the mods can delete if not.

Cancer is an ugly thing. You don't really think about it much until it strikes you at home. In January, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. It's been a rough few months, but she has the best doctors on the planet at Memorial Sloan-Kettering. She has had surgery twice. We are in the middle of an aggressive chemo regimen now, to be followed by radiation. We are optimistic.

There are many, many good people out there fighting cancer, in many ways. One way is through the Swim Across America organization. One of our good friends is swimming in honor of my wife in the Long Island Swim, this Saturday. I don't usually plug stuff, but if you had a few dollars and wanted to do something nice with it, you could support him....

A couple of links. First, my blog:

http://just-a-guys-blog.blogspot.com/

Second, my friend's SAA page (also linked in the blog):

http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/Page.aspx?pid=450&frsid=6557

If you do nothing else, keep in mind that there are lots of people supporting this epic battle, and if you meet one, please shake their hand and thank them.

Mark

Mitchell Andrus
07-20-2010, 1:03 AM
Had my own battle 18 years ago. Wish your wife (and yourself) well.

Don't let the bastard win.

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 7:22 AM
Mark,

First, give your wife and hug and tell her I said I'm cheering her on in the fight. I will keep you, your wife, your friend, and the medical staff in my thoughts.

Ruhi Arslan
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
My best wishes for your wife, you and the family. My wife had her bilateral total mastectomy last year. Her surgeon is also at SK. If your wife wants/needs to talk to another survivor who happens to be local and went through the steps, PM me. She did and was great benefit to her. Now she volunteers to do the same for others.

John Mark Lane
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, folks.

Ruhi -- glad your wife is ok, and thanks for the offer. I will let my wife know. She is actually at MSK today, for a chemo session. That place is amazing, isn't it? You never have to doubt whether you're getting the best there. I bought my wife a shirt in the gift store there. It has a pink ribbon on it, and it says "I fight like a girl!" :)

Mark

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I bought my wife a shirt in the gift store there. It has a pink ribbon on it, and it says "I fight like a girl!" :)

Mark

Are you familiar with the lyrics of "Fight Like a Girl", Mark? If not, you might want to check them out.

John Mark Lane
07-20-2010, 3:19 PM
Are you familiar with the lyrics of "Fight Like a Girl", Mark? If not, you might want to check them out.

OK, that was a mistake. I was dumb enough to check that out while sitting here in my office. ... "No, it's just something in my eye, never mind."

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 3:20 PM
OK, that was a mistake. I was dumb enough to check that out while sitting here in my office. ... "No, it's just something in my eye, never mind."

Sorry, didn't think to warn you. I just thought you might want to know the signifcance of the phrase.

John Mark Lane
07-20-2010, 3:22 PM
Sorry, didn't think to warn you. I just thought you might want to know the signifcance of the phrase.

I'm glad to know. I just ordered the album. Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2010, 3:25 PM
John,

My thoughts and prayers for your wife, her medical team and you. My wife is a 16 year survivor of a rare but deadly form of cancer. Hang tough!

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 3:29 PM
I'm glad to know. I just ordered the album. Thanks.

You're welcome. It takes a lot of strength and a lot of courage to fight like a girl. The support of a good man is a tremendous help as well. Tell her I said, "You Go Girl."

John Mark Lane
07-21-2010, 6:04 PM
Belinda -- the CD arrived today (I love amazon). Wow. Great stuff!! Listening to it, I thought I'd offer back one of my favorite new "finds"

Saving Jane.

My 8 year old daughter, gorgeous creature that she is, loves "Supergirl". Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3pmCuEeJWI

Mark

Belinda Barfield
07-22-2010, 7:54 AM
Mark,

I'm glad you liked the CD. Supergirl - what a great attitude for your daughter to have! I think I have a new theme song. :)