PDA

View Full Version : New hollow form

Alan Trout
07-19-2010, 9:45 PM
I don't post my stuff often. Probably because my photo's suck so bad. This is a piece of Claro Crotch Walnut for the body with a CA finish. The pedestal and finial are hard maple. I was playing with not only contrasting color but contrasting finish. The body being high gloss with the finial and pedestal being satin. The finish on the Pedestal and finial is a satin gel poly with Renaissance Wax. The body is a little over 7 inches in diameter and overall height is about 12 1/2".

Cheers or jeers are always welcome.

Thanks,

Alan

Gary Max
07-19-2010, 9:50 PM
Let me be the first to Cheer-----that's cool

Thomas Canfield
07-19-2010, 9:55 PM
Alan,

It is an incredible piece. The contrast that you wanted in wood and finish seem to work well. The finial complements the base and looks to me to be a good stable design where some might think they are a little heavy. I can also visualize it with a dark contrasting woods, but the light takes your eye to the body and gives it more of a float look. Post more.

Roger Chandler
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Wow, that is a really beautiful turning. wonderful finish and great form. The stand is perfect in my opinion. I don't know if the finial is being distorted by the camera [they sometimes are] it seems just a little fat on the bottom area.

Now, I made one out of walnut that had the same basic size on the bottom as yours, and my wife, and fellow club members agreed at the show and tell portion of our club meeting that it was too fat on the bottom area, so I took my lumps ;) because they had no vested interest in "my" turning, so I accepted it.

Now me personally, I think your finial is perfect, but according to my wife, what do I know, anyway! :D I think us turners had better stick together! :D

John Keeton
07-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Alan, the contrast in these woods really make this piece what it is. The maple actually becomes the focal point, with the Claro kind of being the accent. You did a nice job on this one!

Don't you just love the Claro? One of my favorites!

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Alan that is beautiful. Really like the finial, form and finish on it.

Tom Sherman
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Excellent, very nice work with beautiful wood.

David E Keller
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
That looks great! I love the contrasting woods, and the form appeals to me.

There's nothing wrong with your photos(or your turnings)... You should post more often!

James Combs
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
An exquisite piece Alan.:) It's about time someone was giving JK some competition.:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Very nice work Alan! Wonderful wood combination! I really like the lighter woods being used to highlight the hollow form!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Alan Trout
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. The camera did distort the piece a little and the maple has some interesting curl and grain that the camera does not show. I just set it up outside today and the light washed it out a bit. One of these day's I will have a decent set up for photo's

I am going to give this to my Wife for her birthday which comes on the 25th of this month. I ask what she liked to see in the finial and the base and pretty much did it to what she liked. She just thought I was asking her advice not knowing that I was going to give it to her. She seems to really like it.

Again Thanks,

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Beautiful piece Alan.

Roger Chandler
07-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. The camera did distort the piece a little and the maple has some interesting curl and grain that the camera does not show. I just set it up outside today and the light washed it out a bit. One of these day's I will have a decent set up for photo's

I am going to give this to my Wife for her birthday which comes on the 25th of this month. I ask what she liked to see in the finial and the base and pretty much did it to what she liked. She just thought I was asking her advice not knowing that I was going to give it to her. She seems to really like it.

Again Thanks,

Alan

You can't go wrong doing it the way the wife likes.....as most of the time the feminine eye has a better sense of proportion, balance and style....not always, but most of the time. I guess that is why the most successful interior decorators are female.

You've got a win-win situation there Alan! That is truly a beautiful turning.....well done!

bobby lynn
07-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Alan, you should post your work more often because your picture looks great to me. Alot better than mine.:)

Don Alexander
07-20-2010, 1:41 AM
most of the time the feminine eye has a better sense of proportion, balance and style

horsefeathers :D

Michelle Rich
07-20-2010, 7:06 AM
:eek::DAlan, please post more horrible pictures of you out of proportion work, so we all can be better turners.:D

bob svoboda
07-20-2010, 8:19 AM
Alan..that is just sensational. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2010, 8:27 AM
Alan,
Very nice looking piece, and I like the contrasting colors and finishes. I think about doing that every once in a while and just wimp out with one finish.

I'm sure your wife will enjoy seeing this as a Birthday gift. Nice job!

Richard Madden
07-20-2010, 8:59 AM
:eek::DAlan, please post more horrible pictures of you out of proportion work, so we all can be better turners.:D

Ditto from me. Nice work Alan.

Baxter Smith
07-20-2010, 9:19 AM
Really like the shape of this one and the contrasting colors. My eye says the maple is the focal point but I'm usied to thinking the HF is supposed to be. Thanks for being creative and posting! This is one that would be neat to see in person.

Michael Short
07-20-2010, 9:31 AM
Great looking HF. The contrast of woods id is right on.

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 4:34 PM
Like John K., I absolutely love Claro Walnut and it doesn't get much better than a fine crotch piece like that:). At first sight, I thought the foot & finial were on the heavy side, but the more I looked at it, the more I felt it was well balanced. To me, it seems to make me look at the entire turning rather than focus on one aspect of the HF. The two different sheens seem to work well, I give you credit for giving it a try, I like it! As far as photography, I'm lousy at it, but I figure the more I di it, the better it will get. This photo is certainly acceptable IMO, so keep 'em coming!!