PDA

View Full Version : Redoing a delta drill press.

Kyle Brooks
07-19-2010, 7:32 PM
I'm thinking of redoing a 14 inch delta drill press. The quil has a little play in it, I'm guessing from so much use. I bought it used and was wondering if the bearings are getting bad or if it is something else. I guess doing some research before I tear it apart!!!!! One last thing. If if is the bearings that are bad, is there any after market bearings that are quality to put in that are not $30 per bearing? By the way, the model number is 14-070. Thanks in advance.

Pete Bradley
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Rebuilding a drill press is significantly more complicated than doing a table saw, band saw, or jointer. Also, this isn't a very old machine so unless it's had a lot of hard use, the bearings are unlikely to be very worn. Before you "tear it apart" you should try to figure out how much play you really have, whether it matters, and if so where that play is coming from.

First, what problem do you have with the drill in use? If none, stop.

If the problem is excessive runout or slop at the bit, do you have measuring equipment? A dial indicator and a precision drill rod would be helpful. If you don't have these, you may be able to eyeball large problems, but not subtle ones.

Grab the quill and try to rock it back and forth. Play likely indicates quill wear. However I'm pretty sure this model doesn't have a split head so you don't have a lot of options to compensate.

Slip the belt off the pulley end and turn the spindle with your hand. Does the spindle turn smoothly? Rough tight turning could indicate bad bearings. All of the bearings in this machine are less than $30 each, but getting to them would likely cost you a few bucks in pullers and tools.

Let us know if you find something unacceptably wrong, but that's a decent press, you're probably best off enjoying it as it is.