PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 – Bruce Pratt

Bruce Pratt
07-19-2010, 7:24 PM
Cane - Made this for my wife who just had a hip replacement. 32"; purpleheart + holly. Got the purpleheart as "pallet wood" from a flooring outlet.

Vase - Wormy maple 8" x 3 1/2"; 1/8" wall; 6oz. weight. Stained with Cabot "Red Oak" stain, sanded down so stain was only left in the grain, and then restained with 1:4 diluted stain - no top coat (yet). This is from the same branch as the blue vase I posted several weeks ago. This must be "art", because it certainly isn't utilitarian - won't hold water for sure.
-----------
Bruce Pratt

John Keeton
07-19-2010, 7:34 PM
Bruce, nice work on both!! BTW, hope your wife does well, and you have certainly made her a nice cane.

On the vase, that would sure pass for oak! The grain certainly doesn't look like maple. In fact, with the worm holes, it looks a little like mesquite with the stain you have used. In any event, nice work, and a lot of character.

Dennis Ford
07-19-2010, 8:03 PM
Really nice cane, functional and attractive.

Very interesting vase, the stain sequence that you used brought out the grain in a dramatic way.

David E Keller
07-19-2010, 8:12 PM
Nice work on both pieces. The cane is certainly utilitarian but pretty as well. I, too, am having trouble believing the vase is not oak... Great job on the staining.

Bruce Pratt
07-19-2010, 8:29 PM
John, David;

I'm pretty sure its maple. I agree that the annual rings are prominant, but they are enhanced by the stain and the overall geometry of the piece. Also, there are no medullary rays evident on the endgrain, which I think, would tend to rule out oak. Anyway, thanks for the nice comments.

My wife is doing very well; seven weeks post surgery, and ahead of normal schedule on physical therapy recovery.

Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
07-20-2010, 7:59 AM
Bruce - very nice work on both items!

I really like the wood combination you used on the cane! Sure gives it that 'custom' look! I am sure your wife loves it! Hope all continues to go well with her recovery!

Great looking vase! The orientation of the grain, along with your really nice dye work, makes it hard to determine the exact type of wood! This piece really has a lot of natural character and would look great sitting on anyone's mantle!

Very nice work! Thanks for taking part in the Challenge!

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2010, 8:32 AM
I really like the wormy vase...I have some pieces of wood that are likely similar inside ... but am afraid that the worminess will make them blow apart when I start hollowing it out. Cool job of 2 part dying, it came out nicely.

Sorry to hear your wife had to have surgery, but hope she recovers well. Meanwhile, she'll have a classy cane with a good story that money can't buy!

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 8:53 AM
Very well done cane Bruce, certainly qualifies as utilitarian:). Wishing your wife a fast & complete recovery.

The vase has got some great character and you did a great job enhancing what mother nature gave you.

Very nice entries and thanks for joining the challenge:)

Baxter Smith
07-20-2010, 9:23 AM
A "pretty" useful cane and a great looking vase. I have yet to color a turning but this one looks unique!

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Both pieces are really nice. I do like the cain.