PDA

View Full Version : refinishing nightmare

Cheryl Baker
07-19-2010, 5:53 PM
I resanded a table top several times for different reasons. this last time I saw sander scratches under the polyurethane, so sanded with 220, then wet sanded with 360 and now I'm down to alot of patchy spots above the starburst veneer. I'm afraid to put poly on it due to the possibility of the patches showing through. If anyone has any idea of how to proceed, please let me know. This was a new table from another country just a few months ago that came with not enough protective finish for my lifestyle. I've been hand sanding with 360 dry for the fear of getting too far onto the veneer. Ive sanded the shiny edges from around the patchy spots, but im unsure if I can polyurethane at this point, and have it turn out ok. thanks, Cheryl

Scott Holmes
07-19-2010, 6:07 PM
Cheryl,

Sanding is a poor way to remove old finish. A chemical stripper will do a much better job.

Poly is a poor choice of varnish type for a tabletop. Poly IMHO is made for floors period. Unless the table will be danced on; poly is not the right choice. A hard varnish will be better and more likely to stick.

Sanding to 360 grit is kinda fine for film finishes especially poly which has trouble sticking to itself or anything else.

Are you coloring the wood?
What type of shine do you want when finished? Satin, High gloss or something in between.

Cheryl Baker
07-20-2010, 8:39 AM
Hey Scott, thanks for the reply, I need a high gloss finish. I will need to restain the veneer on a few corners ( sander went too deep) The stain pen seems to be working ok. The problem is I have already completed the two leaves that goes with the table and really dont want to start over with them. So as long as I use a high gloss finish, Im open to any ideas. So you think I should strip the rest off the table top instead of sanding? Will the stripper take off the stain? This is a starburst veneer, so I dont think I could stain, and come out with the same results. I'm willing to tackle anything, I just dont know how to proceed with the patches and have a great outcome. Cheryl

Scott Holmes
07-20-2010, 6:15 PM
The stripper may remove some color, itmay not, depends how the color got there... If it's the wood's color the stripper will not remove it; if it's a pigment stain it will. If it's color in the finish e.g. a toner the stripper will remove the color.

Send me a picture let me see what you are working with...

johanes purnama
07-20-2010, 9:10 PM
Yes agree with Scott.
You need to strip the finish on your table. And start to do finishing process.
Just make sure you sand your wood well to remove the sanding mark in there.
I think you can get the same finish result since your finish is seem just a clear coat without any stain on it.
To get the same gloss finish you need to make sure that you use the same clear coat an same process with what you do on your leave table.

Stripping the finish in the wood finishing (http://www.wisnofurniturefinishing.com/2010/07/strip-old-finish-in-wood-finishing.html)

Good luck

Cheryl Baker
07-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, I stripped the table, and color came off also, so now I know Im down to the veneer. What would be my next steps to have a good outcome? I cleaned it with mineral spirits, looks like a little sanding should even up the overall look. Is 220 ok? hand or palm sander? Thanks for walking me through this, I think there might be light at the end of the tunnel.

Scott Holmes
07-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Veneers can be VERY thin. Hand sand with the grain, only if absolutely necessary.

Try a bit of mineral spirits on the wood to get an idea of what it will look like with a clear finish on it. Stain or dye if needed.