PDA

View Full Version : Stripping paint?

Joe Shinall
07-19-2010, 5:45 PM
I have a dresser I just bought from a thrift store. It has what looks to be a faux finish paint job on it. It's solid wood, what kind I do not know, but I want to strip it down and either finish it or paint it white.

Question is, what paint stripper can you recommend? I've never used a paint stripper before so I need some ideas. Preferably something I can find easily at a borg or ship quickly and cheaply if needed.

Scott Holmes
07-19-2010, 6:09 PM
Crown @ the big box stores contains methylene chloride which is what does the work.

Neal Clayton
07-19-2010, 6:27 PM
yep, methylene chloride is the only thing that really works as advertised.

the skull and bones on the can is no joke, btw. do it outdoors, try not to breathe too much of the fumes (it evaporates faster than alcohol even), and will leave a chemical burn on bare skin, so pick up rubber gloves while you're there.

Scott Holmes
07-19-2010, 6:58 PM
The gel formula is my favorite... brush it on and leave it alone. It will form a waxy film on top and that's good the waxy film seals it up some so the MC can do it's work.

Biggest mistake most people make; to keep brushing and moving it around...much better to leave it alone.

Joe Shinall
07-19-2010, 9:13 PM
Thanks guys! This should be fun, I'll get the ole Hazmat suit out to be on the safe side ;)

johanes purnama
07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I always try to wash off the paint with acetone or thinner. If it works it will lot of easier to do.

If the paint is difficult to stripped of with thinner, then I use paint remover.

Stripping the finish
(http://www.wisnofurniturefinishing.com/2010/07/strip-old-finish-in-wood-finishing.html)

Good luck

Steve Schoene
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
There are almost no finishes that ordinary paint thinner (mineral spirits) will remove. There will be some that lacquer thinner may lift, but the methylene chloride thinners are generally faster. Just be SURE to have plenty of ventilation, not just an open window.