PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5 And Windows 7 64 Bit

Justin Harrington
07-19-2010, 5:40 PM
Just got a new computer and software, installed Windows 7 64 Bit along with Corel X5 and can't get to print to my Epilog EXT 36 even using the latest drivers from Epilog. Has anyone else tried this combinatation with any success? Did a couple of searches on the net and this doesn't seem to be resolved yet, just keen to hear if anybodys found a solution.

Thanks
JUSTIN

Larry Bratton
07-19-2010, 5:54 PM
I assume you got the new 64 bit drivers from Epilog. I understand they were just posted late last week. Here is some more info from their site:

Issues printing large files from 32-bit applications on a 64-bit operating system:
There appear to be a number of known issues associated with printing from 32-bit applications (CorelDraw, Illustrator, etc) that are installed on 64-bit operating systems. Most graphics software applications were designed for 32-bit computing, and they operate fairly well in a 64-bit environment, but we have heard and read on the Internet that many manufacturers of output devices, like large format printers, are having difficulty when printing large files from these 32-bit applications on 64-bit operating systems. It’s been suggested that the problem lies within one of the Windows print spoolers.

In Epilog’s case, the issues reported to us have been with large files, especially when printed at 1200 DPI, large stamp files, or large 3D files. If you run these types of jobs you should seriously consider the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7. Please check back with us as we will provide updates as new information becomes available.

Lee DeRaud
07-19-2010, 7:47 PM
Jason, what type of stuff have you tried sending it? Does anything work?

The reason I ask is, the term "large file" in the info Larry posted generally means "over 2GB", which is not the kind of thing one usually tries as a test case.

Ruben Salcedo
07-19-2010, 8:54 PM
Also, make sure you set your document to the preset destination > Default RGB, if you use CMYK mode the laser won't recognize the colors, also set your color management to Simulate Color Management Off preset, to set it go to, Tools>Color Management>Default Settings>Simulate Color Management Off. Just another option just in case :-).

Ruben

Justin Harrington
07-20-2010, 2:05 PM
Hi Guys

Have tried printing a 25mm by 25mm square black colour fill and hairline outline, no go! The message " Print driver host for 32bit application has stopped working". I do have the Epilog 64bit print driver installed? Could this be a Corel 5 issue?

Larry Bratton
07-20-2010, 2:56 PM
Did you try calling Epilog tech support? or..I guess in your case e-mail them.

John Noell
07-20-2010, 3:43 PM
Did you try calling Epilog tech support? or..I guess in your case e-mail them. I call, via Skype. Cheap (about 1/25th of what it costs to use my landline) and a lot better than email.

Larry Bratton
07-20-2010, 4:35 PM
I was just thinking of the time difference. I believe South Africa is about 8 hours ahead of Colorado. Epilog opens at 6am MT, so I guess he could call early evening his time and get them mid-morning..right?

Justin Harrington
07-20-2010, 4:36 PM
Hi Guys

I have sent them a mail, but after searching on the web this seems to be a know issue with no fix at this stage, I may be wrong but I'll keep you posted.

Larry Bratton
07-20-2010, 4:40 PM
Can't you just go back to the 32bit driver until that is resolved?

Justin Harrington
07-20-2010, 5:40 PM
OK I've got it working thanks to Brian at Epilog Tech Support, downloaded a new driver ver8.07 which resolved the issue. So far so good :D

Larry Bratton
07-20-2010, 5:51 PM
OK I've got it working thanks to Brian at Epilog Tech Support, downloaded a new driver ver8.07 which resolved the issue. So far so good :D
Good ole Epilog tech support...THEY ARE FANTASTIC! Glad you got it working.
(I must add though, the 8.07 driver was the one I referred to at the beginning of the thread. There is also a post on here by Tim Bateson about that driver just being released)

Tim Bateson
07-21-2010, 8:21 AM
Can't you just go back to the 32bit driver until that is resolved?

A 64bit system requires 64bit drivers. You can use 32bit software, but not 32bit drivers.

...(I must add though, the 8.07 driver was the one I referred to at the beginning of the thread. There is also a post on here by Tim Bateson about that driver just being released)

Another nice thing about the new driver - jobs load faster too.

Mike Christen
07-21-2010, 9:07 AM
A 64bit system requires 64bit drivers. You can use 32bit software, but not 32bit drivers.

I was able to load 32bit drivers under virtual XP and they work under windows 7 64bit environment. I have a vinyl cutter and a vinyl printer that does not and will not have 64bit drivers developed for them. You can download virtual XP off the Microsoft web site, only catch is that you have to have windows 7 professional or greater to run virtual XP.

Tim Bateson
07-21-2010, 9:38 AM
I was able to load 32bit drivers under virtual XP and they work under windows 7 64bit environment. I have a vinyl cutter and a vinyl printer that does not and will not have 64bit drivers developed for them. You can download virtual XP off the Microsoft web site, only catch is that you have to have windows 7 professional or greater to run virtual XP.

I'm guessing your virtual XP is running in a 32bit window, ie running in a 32bit (sub) system.

Rob Patterson
07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
You can download virtual XP off the Microsoft web site, only catch is that you have to have windows 7 professional or greater to run virtual XP.

You may need W7 pro to get the free version however, you can install Microsoft Virtual PC (free) on to a PC then load virtually any operating system (if you have a valid license key) onto the Virtual PC. You can even run multiple virtual machines at the same time on the host machine. The more RAM the host machine has available the better Virtual PC works.

It is a really cool feature if you have never used it. It is great for testing.

I'm guessing your virtual XP is running in a 32bit window, ie running in a 32bit (sub) system.

Yea, that's the great thing about Virtual PC, you can use it have backwards compatibility for software/hardware.

Mike Christen
07-21-2010, 9:52 PM
I only used vitual xp to load the drivers, after loading them I have not had to run it since. The devices (printer and cutter) show up in windows 7 printer list. So as far as i can see Windows 7 can run 32 bit drivers if they are loaded using vitual xp. virtual xp does not have to be running to use the devices.