PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Tech Support-- Wow!

William Hutchinson
07-19-2010, 5:27 PM
Yesterday, during my first project on a new lathe, 3520B, everything worked perfectly. I was spindle turning a piece of scrap walnut- to get a feel for the lathe and practice my technique. About an hour in, the digital RPM display stopped at zero. Everything else works fine and I finished the turning.

I called Powermatic Tech Support this morning and received several suggestions, all of which failed. Needless to say I was disappointed.:mad: Tech support said that they would send a repairman to my shop to resolve this problem and that person would call me shortly.

Sure enough the local repairman called within an hour and we reviewed the situation. He also apologized for a slight delay, due to tech support shipping replacement electronic/sensor parts to have in hand at the time of service. He'll be here this Wednesday.

That's what I call excellent customer service.

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2010, 5:42 PM
Always good to hear of folks getting good service! Hope everything goes according to plan and you get your lathe back up and running 100%!

Karl Card
07-19-2010, 5:45 PM
That is unheard of in a retail environment. That also says alot about a company when a person gets down to buying 2 different lathes, customer service could win over other things.

Jeff Nicol
07-19-2010, 5:54 PM
A couple months back, I was turning and I saw something fall on the floor and it was heavier than a piece of wood. I picked it up and it was a piece of cast iron from under the clamp handle on the banjo of my 3520B. I looked and it had cracked all the way up the side of the banjo to where the offset part for the tool rest. I called and told them what happened and sent off a couple pictures. They sent me out a new banjo right away without any troubles at all. I was very pleased also with the service and it is a wonderful thing!

GLad that you and others have and will gt good service from them!

Jeff

William Hutchinson
07-19-2010, 6:06 PM
A couple months back, I was turning and I saw something fall on the floor and it was heavier than a piece of wood. I picked it up and it was a piece of cast iron from under the clamp handle on the banjo of my 3520B. I looked and it had cracked all the way up the side of the banjo to where the offset part for the tool rest. I called and told them what happened and sent off a couple pictures. They sent me out a new banjo right away without any troubles at all. I was very pleased also with the service and it is a wonderful thing!

GLad that you and others have and will gt good service from them!

Jeff

Now Mr. Nicol, between smoking salmon and keyboard surfing when you gonna have time to make my steady rest?:D

Jeff Nicol
07-20-2010, 9:41 AM
Now Mr. Nicol, between smoking salmon and keyboard surfing when you gonna have time to make my steady rest?:D
William, I can multitask with the best of them! I am smoking salmon now, just finished the dishes for my bride, finished reading and responding to 50 e-mails and now it is time to head to the shop! One last thing I have to give my diabetic dog her shot. I plan on getting yours cut and welded today so I can spray 5 PM steadies all at the same time, keeps me from cleaning the spray gun so many times!

Wish me luck!

Jeff

William Hutchinson
07-20-2010, 10:14 AM
You'd beThe Man:D That's more work than I do in a week. I got tired just reading what you did before 9am.

Gary Max
07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
That's why I own a Mustard Monster-------no one else can even come close to that kind of service.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Great to hear news like that. Good to see such good support.

Doug Thompson
07-20-2010, 2:50 PM
Excellent! That is up and beyond, years ago they sent me a motor and belt for mine. Those guys are good.

John Keeton
07-20-2010, 3:06 PM
Jeff, I LOVE smoked salmon - just wanted you to know that!:D

William, glad you are going to back up full speed, and yes, that does speak highly of PM!:)

Thomas Bennett
07-20-2010, 3:14 PM
William, I can multitask with the best of them! I am smoking salmon now, just finished the dishes for my bride, finished reading and responding to 50 e-mails and now it is time to head to the shop! One last thing I have to give my diabetic dog her shot. I plan on getting yours cut and welded today so I can spray 5 PM steadies all at the same time, keeps me from cleaning the spray gun so many times!

Wish me luck!

Jeff

Remember to paint mine blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe just paint all five of them blue so you don't have to clean your gun twice.

William Hutchinson
07-22-2010, 4:41 AM
Just a quick follow up. True to their word, the parts were over-nighted to the repair tech and he arrived as scheduled. You got to give Powermatic Customer Service credit taking care of this small problem with a professional level of competence. A good company can be judged by how you are treated after the sale and the extent they are willing to exceed your expectations.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/RPMrepaired.jpg

Now on to some turning, got some Cocobolo blanks to make handles for a couple of Thompson bowl gouges.