PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly g1071 oss problem

Mark Woodmark
07-19-2010, 5:06 PM
My Grizzly G1071 oscillating spindle sander developed a problem yesterday.The shaft key that connects the drive shaft the the oscillating mechanism came out. It is held in place with a socket head machine screw through the shaft into the key which has a tapped hole or should I say two tapped holes with only one of these screws. I have attached pictures. Has anyone had this problem and what are your opinions as to the cause? Before replacing the parts, I want to be sure it wont happen again.

Mark Woodmark
07-26-2010, 2:44 PM
Pretty sure what happened with this was the screw worked loose, fell out, and the key caught and bent. It now has two screws holding it in place. Incidentally, the switch on the OSS went bad (wont shut off). I have a new switch on order. I am beginning to loose faith in Grizzlys good value reputation

Van Huskey
07-26-2010, 10:52 PM
They may have missed the lock-tite on that screw. Further I had noted in the past that switch seemed a little cheesy on that level of a machine, but it is cheap to replace.

I would say keep in mind that even the high dollar machines aren't perfect. That said everyones opinion of value is different, some will put up with a lot for a $300-400 dollar difference, some would rather pay $1,000 more if it means a uber-reliable machine.