PDA

View Full Version : Number 6 hand plane identification

Lucas Crenshaw
07-19-2010, 3:53 PM
I have a Type 14-15 Stanley Number 6 that I'm starting to think might be a Franken-plane. The frog has Stanley stamped on the Lever and the bed has No. 6 printed on it. The knobs appear to be rosewood, and look like the low versions found on a lot of Stanleys. The plane is jappaned black. The one thing that's bugging me is that there is no frog adjustment screw on the back. There also doesn't appear to be anywhere that one should go or may have gone. I can post some pictures later (this evening I hope). I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. All of my Stanleys (except the Handyman) have frog adjustments..

Sean Hughto
07-19-2010, 4:08 PM
Why do you think it is a type 14 or 15?

If the knob is low (and original), that would make it pre-1920 at least (i.e., not a 14-15).

If it lacks the frog adjustment screw, that would make it pre-1907 or so. Who among us use the frog adjustment screw more than once a year? As in, you won't miss it.

Finally, if it is a user, who cares about the all-original parts buggaboo? "Frankenplane" is only an issue to collectors and when the parts are incompatible such that they hurt the plane's performance. Stanley itself, used parts on hand to assemble planes and was hardly careful about not mixing parts from various "types."

Jim Koepke
07-19-2010, 7:43 PM
I'm with Sean on this. My planes are often intentionally frankenplanes.

A low knob will not seat properly on a type 14-15 because of the ring cast in the base. Type 16s often came without the frog adjustment.

Pictures would be a help.

jim

Lucas Crenshaw
07-19-2010, 8:02 PM
Pictures can be found here.... (http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/KrunkTheMadMan/Mystery%20No%206/)

The plane will see good use soon, I've just been baffled by the lack of the adjustment screw.

David Laaneorg
07-19-2010, 8:05 PM
it's pre-bailey, it's old

Jim Koepke
07-19-2010, 8:31 PM
I can not tell if there is patent information inside the brass adjusting nut.

If there is, that would be a type 5 or 6. Type 6 has a disk on the lateral adjustment lever to move the blade, a type 5 has a bend in the lever.

Without the patent information inside of the adjusting nut, there may be an S or a B in various parts of the casting. S would be a type 7 and B would be a type 8.

There are also some that just have a dot raised on the castings. Those are considered to be between type 6 and 7.

I saw a couple of #6s today in a pawn shop. They were priced at $40 each. They are still there.

jim

Sean Hughto
07-19-2010, 8:58 PM
I'd guess a type 8 or 9. A very good plane. Enjoy it.

Lucas Crenshaw
07-19-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks a million guys, I'm going to go with type 7. I just went and checked under the tote and there are two letter S's underneath it. The lever has Stanley cast vertically and some numbers, something like....

PATD
####
####
####

I can't really make them out.
Also, the adjustment lever is bent, but it looks like someone gave it a good whack at some point. There is no pat. information in the adjustment nut.

I think the greatest part is that the plane was in the bottom of a full toolbox I bought for $30.

One other little thing, I got a number 95 off craigslist for $35, it's missing the cap adjustment screw. Does anyone know where I can find one....
Pictures of it are here. (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34244)

Jim Koepke
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks a million guys, I'm going to go with type 7. I just went and checked under the tote and there are two letter S's underneath it. The lever has Stanley cast vertically and some numbers, something like....

PATD
####
####
####

I can't really make them out.
Also, the adjustment lever is bent, but it looks like someone gave it a good whack at some point. There is no pat. information in the adjustment nut.

I think the greatest part is that the plane was in the bottom of a full toolbox I bought for $30.

One other little thing, I got a number 95 off craigslist for $35, it's missing the cap adjustment screw. Does anyone know where I can find one....
Pictures of it are here. (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34244)

This is what the patent dates look like:

This is from a type 6.

I will go check the screw and see what the size and pitch might be, that will help to narrow it down. Stanley tended to use their own sizes.

jim

Mark Wyatt
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I saw a couple of #6s today in a pawn shop. They were priced at $40 each. They are still there.

jim

I'm not sure I've ever looked for an old hand plane in a pawn shop. I'll need to do a quick survey of the neighborhood offerings.

My #6 sits unloved in the plane till, all tuned up with nowhere to go.

I was tempted last week in an antique store by a 5 1/2 with the heavy war casting and hard rubber adjustment knob. $60. Hmmm...wonder if it is still there...

Jim Koepke
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
The knurled screw for the cap measured 0.175 inch on the outside of the threads. That seems to be between a #8 and a #10. It has 28 threads to the inch which is a common pitch for Stanley. The screw shaft measured 1/2".

Finding one will be the hard part.

It might be easier to find the lever cap or check with one of the many parts sellers who list on ebay or sometimes linked here.

Good luck,

jim