PDA

View Full Version : Installing glass panel in cabinet door

Aaron Broomhead
07-19-2010, 3:10 PM
I have installed several wood panels into cabinet doors, but never glass. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way of doing this?

I was planning on using stub tennon joinery for the joints, but have also considered mitering the corners, cutting a rabbit for the glass to sit in or just installing it in a 1/4" groove. I have also considered using mechanical fasteners that hold the glass in place or just using wood molding to hold it down. Searching the internet, I noticed that several sites suggest putting a bead of silicone down to hold the glass. Is that necessary?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Philip Rodriquez
07-19-2010, 3:24 PM
"I was planning on using stub tennon joinery for the joints" - It all depends on the size of the door. Glass is pretty heavy. Therefore, I'd go with M&T's because I think a stub would fail after some use.

"... also considered mitering the corners, cutting a rabbit for the glass" to sit in or just installing it in a 1/4" groove..." - JMHO, I do not like mitered corners because they do not give you a lot of strength, even with a spline. As for the 1/4" groove idea; just make sure you don't ever break the glass! A rabbit is much better because you have access to the glass.

"...I have also considered using mechanical fasteners that hold the glass in place or just using wood molding to hold it down. Searching the internet, I noticed that several sites suggest putting a bead of silicone down to hold the glass..." Why not use silicone (stops the rattle) and wood molding. Again, you should have access to the glass if it ever breaks.

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2010, 3:28 PM
Hi, I use M&T joints for the frames, and wood moldings to hold the glass in place.

I dislike silicone caulking from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, if you want to use something similar, use coloured putty, it's a traditional method of holding glass in place.

Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
07-19-2010, 3:41 PM
Consider that eventually you will probably need to replace the glass. So make it removable/ replaceable. I've used wood moldings and vinyl moldings from Rockler for glass retention. Both are about the same level of work.

Some folks use silicone because it is easy and it prevents glass from rattling. It can be replaced with a utility knife.

Ben Hatcher
07-19-2010, 3:46 PM
+1 on moulding to retain the glass in your rabit.

-1 on silicone. It is a pain to remove. Glazing compound works just as well and is half the mess to clean up should you ever need to change the glass out.

Neal Clayton
07-19-2010, 4:36 PM
agree with ben, i build wooden windows which are the same principle.

the joints don't have to be all that strong, but it doesn't hurt of course. the glass will hold it together. glass doesn't want to flex and can't stretch, so it gives alot of strength to an otherwise flimsy structure.

glazing putty to bed the glass in, then glazing points on top of the glass to hold it pressed in. a slight dado on the back of your muntin trim to account for the points is all you need from then on. dap33 should be readily available. it's not the best but it's fine for inside work, less common putty that is of a higher quality is mainly for outside windows. don't worry much about the mess on the glass as you're putting it in place, a razor scraper will clean the glass up after you're done no matter what you get on it.

if you don't have a point driver and don't care to buy one, stop by a picture frame shop and have them drive the points for a few bucks. if you do want to get a point driver the fletcher ones that any glass supply place should have is the one i use. afaik it's the one everyone has used ever since there were point drivers.

leave your glass 1/16 short of the edge of the rabbet all the way around. glass rabbets are 3/8 x 3/8 for windows, the same should be fine for a cabinet door since cabinet profiles are typically the same size as window profiles.

note that glazing putty dries white. if you wish another color and/or these aren't to be painted, you'll prolly wanna color the putty to arrive at something similar to the final finish color. glazing putty is linseed oil based so any oil stain will mix with it to change the color of it.

Jason Varner AF
07-19-2010, 4:56 PM
+1 for the molding:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25082&filter=glass

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2010, 6:01 PM
Using caulk, or plastic grommet, are quick, but don't look very good to my eye. I'm a wood guy. I like using wood molding to hold the glass in. Here's a link to a drawing about one way to do it. This looks pretty good, is pretty easy to do, and can be adapted to all thicknesses of glass. I've even used it on hand-blown glass that wasn't the same thickness everywhere.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1450441&postcount=3

Jim Rimmer
07-19-2010, 8:52 PM
Last week's Woodsmith Shop show on PBS had this as their main topic. Check out their website and it may be in their videos now. They also had a sidebar on making your own molding to hold the glass.