PDA

View Full Version : New steady rest

Tom Lewis
07-19-2010, 1:13 PM
This is the fourth steady rest I have built, and the best one so far. I got the idea for square tubing from a steady rest someone had built and posted on one of the forums.
The tubing is 2" square and 3/16" thick,
I like a four wheel steady rest because it's easy to use a lazer with it.

Tom Sherman
07-19-2010, 1:22 PM
Looks like it should do the job Tom. thanks for posting

William Hutchinson
07-19-2010, 1:31 PM
Now that's a steady rest! Looks like your experience paid off, great job.

What do you use a laser for with that Grumbine depth gage hanging on the wall?

Tom Lewis
07-19-2010, 1:49 PM
The Grumbine depth gage is good to tell me how thick or thin the bottom is, but I like a laser when I hollow turn tall vases.

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2010, 1:54 PM
Nice looking steady...I guess I'll have to go to the local place I go for steel and get me some tubing...I think you got that one right!
Have you used it yet...anything you'd do differently?

Bernie Weishapl
07-19-2010, 2:40 PM
Great looking steady. I still use my Grumbine depthing tool even with the laser.

Roger Chandler
07-19-2010, 3:45 PM
After seeing this steady rest, it has once again made me wish I knew how to weld, and had a welder. I might just do it!

Maybe someone could tell me the difference between MIG, TIG and other types and if one of those would be best for a home shop ....:confused:

Are the different types related to how thick the metal is that is to be welded?

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2010, 3:53 PM
Looks pretty stout and you even have a custom paint job on it! Looks like you are ready to go!

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2010, 4:03 PM
After seeing this steady rest, it has once again made me wish I knew how to weld, and had a welder. I might just do it!

Maybe someone could tell me the difference between MIG, TIG and other types and if one of those would be best for a home shop ....:confused:

Are the different types related to how thick the metal is that is to be welded?

Roger,
I'm not a welding expert...but have stick welded in past life, i.e 30+ yrs ago. It takes a lot practice and for mild carbon steels (the stuff most our jigs and contraptions are made from) it works well but uses alot of power. Typically need 220.

I had a need for a welder and decided on a MIG for construction of my hollowing rig...and I think it was a good buy. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, as well as other places, for under $150. Seems like the reading I did...was to stay at 120AMP rating or higher, to assure good penetration. Mine runs on 120 V standard home outlet, I got it from Northern, but saw several cheaper options at Harbor Freight...and they often run great deals on them.

I don't use mine with gas on carbon steel and it works fine. If I were to want to weld aluminum or stainless, I suppose I'd need some argon or other gases, but that's another matter.
If you decide to get one...shell out 40-50 bucks and get a auto-darkening helmet...you won't regret it. Makes life much easier.

Regardless, you'll still need to fiddle a little with amperage and wire feed rates, but you'll figure it out on a test piece of iron and then be good to go.

Good luck..and I'm sure some more knowledgeable will also chime in.

Jerry Marcantel
07-19-2010, 4:14 PM

I'm not much of a welder, but I do know the differences in them...
MIG= wire feed using argon gas for steel. It is sometimes used onsite as a portable welder. You can weld aluminum, but I don't know if you use a different gas....
TIG= Tungsten Inert Gas. This system also uses argon gas, but is usually handfed.... Can also weld aluminum and other alloys... I just saw one the other day that could also be used portable...
Stick or Arc= the old arc welder standby that has been around waiting for electricity to be invented. Most are mounted onto trucks and used in the field on construction sites for equipment repair, structural welding and such... Lincoln is the most poular, but in my opinion, they are sloppy compared to the Mig and Tig units.... In a nutshell, you just recieved all my welding knowledge..... Hope it helps.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Thomas Bennett
07-19-2010, 4:45 PM
Nice welding job and the color is perfect!

Roger Chandler
07-19-2010, 5:00 PM
Roger,
I'm not a welding expert...but have stick welded in past life, i.e 30+ yrs ago. It takes a lot practice and for mild carbon steels (the stuff most our jigs and contraptions are made from) it works well but uses alot of power. Typically need 220.

I had a need for a welder and decided on a MIG for construction of my hollowing rig...and I think it was a good buy. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, as well as other places, for under $150. Seems like the reading I did...was to stay at 120AMP rating or higher, to assure good penetration. Mine runs on 120 V standard home outlet, I got it from Northern, but saw several cheaper options at Harbor Freight...and they often run great deals on them.

I don't use mine with gas on carbon steel and it works fine. If I were to want to weld aluminum or stainless, I suppose I'd need some argon or other gases, but that's another matter.
If you decide to get one...shell out 40-50 bucks and get a auto-darkening helmet...you won't regret it. Makes life much easier.

Regardless, you'll still need to fiddle a little with amperage and wire feed rates, but you'll figure it out on a test piece of iron and then be good to go.

Good luck..and I'm sure some more knowledgeable will also chime in.

Tim,

If I were to want to make this steady rest, as is in the picture, is "stick" welding the welding rods that you see in the handles? I have seen these rods where the units were sold, but did not know if it was the same as "stick" welding???

I guess that if it is the same, then the "arc" is what melts the rod, and the metal being welded into one? [am I even close :confused: ]

Paul Douglass
07-19-2010, 5:03 PM
Nice job. Got a picture of that off the ways showing how it is attached?

Tom Lewis
07-19-2010, 5:24 PM
I have both a arc(stick welder) and a MIG (wire welder). I used the wire welder with gas to weld this up. The gas eliminates any slag on the weld and I find I can get a much nicer weld that way.
I just got through using it on a vase and really liked how it worked. Right now I don't know anyway to improve it.
The picture shows the laser attachement on my hollowing bar with the steady rest.

Tom Lewis
07-19-2010, 5:29 PM
Here's a picture of the bottom of the rest.

Allen Neighbors
07-19-2010, 6:30 PM
Really nice job!! I like my 4 wheeler, also... for that reason!! Mine is not nearly the steady rest yours is... that is really a nice one!!