PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving cremains box

Bobby Hatfield
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I am making a box and will need a name laser engraved, anyone know where or who could do this. Bobby

Dan Hintz
07-19-2010, 1:04 PM
Bobby,

Check the Friends of the Creek listings (red button up top) for someone in your area...

Jerome Stanek
07-19-2010, 1:52 PM
If there isn't some one close you could try the ponoko web site/

Dan Hintz
07-19-2010, 2:19 PM
If there isn't someone close by, I'll do it... :)

Al Wasser
07-19-2010, 2:56 PM
I'm sure this is not unusual. I attended a funeral for a friend not long ago where the box was lazer engraved. You might call the local funeral homes or check your yellow pages.

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 3:00 PM
And if Dan can't do it, I will.:)

Tim Morton
07-19-2010, 7:15 PM
And if Dan can't do it, and Belinda backs out..I can do it:D

Bobby Hatfield
07-20-2010, 11:19 AM
What about size restrictions ? Any problem with thickness of the lid where I want it engraved on the top ? Should I finish it first or wait ? Also, general estimate of price for just a name ? The wood will be walnut. Anybody ?

Thanks all, Bobby

Dan Hintz
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Bobby,

Thickness isn't generally an issue with most systems represented here (mine can handle materials up to 9" thick), though bed size may be limited for some. For a cremation box, I doubt you'll use a box bigger than most beds can handle... I did a 1" thick maple plaque a few weeks ago that was 16" x 28" (a bit bigger than my 24" bed size, but I have some room on the sides if I set it up correctly).

For pricing, it will (generally) depend upon how big the engraving is, i.e., how much time is spent in the laser, though some have various pricing models, such as $x/letter. If you want just a light burn, a lower-powered system can handle that at a relatively fast speed... if you want a deep etch (like 1/32"-1/16"), that requires more time or a more powerful system.

For example, a 1" x 6" light engraving may only be $10 for onesies, whereas the plaque I mentioned earlier was etched to around 1/32" (maybe a bit deeper) and was $130.

EDIT: There's no need to finish first, but many do, especially if they want to fill in the name with ink. For the plaque, I covered the entire thing in tape first, which prevented the smoke from tainting the finished look of it. If you finish beforehand, the smoke residue can generally be wiped off with a cloth and some Windex or Pledge.

Andy Haney
07-20-2010, 9:08 PM
Bobby,

I don't know where you are, but there has to be a trophy shop in Jonesboro. (I'm an ASU grad) I use a trophy place for such here (near KC). Send me a message if you don't have luck locally. I'm sure I can get it done for you here at negligible expense.

Andy Haney