PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection..

Ralph Morris
12-05-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm intrested to get a dust air filtering for my little shop. I'm looking at those Jet AFS-1000B it says cleans a 20'X20'X8' shop in about 5 minutes. My shop is 10'X10' is that too much for my little shop?

Bart Leetch
12-06-2004, 1:03 AM
I'll politely answer a question with a question don't you think you'll get a bigger shop some day? :D

Bob Hovde
12-06-2004, 9:49 AM
I'm intrested to get a dust air filtering for my little shop. I'm looking at those Jet AFS-1000B it says cleans a 20'X20'X8' shop in about 5 minutes. My shop is 10'X10' is that too much for my little shop?

The advertising for air cleaners is misleading. Although it may move a volume of air equal to the size of your shop, there's no way it will clean all of the air in your shop in 5 minutes. (The shop would have to be a tunnel with the cleaner at one end for all of the air to be drawn through the cleaner.) Dust spreads out into all corners and from floor to ceiling. It would take hours for a cleaner to draw ALL of the air in a room. Even if the air coming out of the cleaner was 100 percent dust-free (which is isn't), it is just diluting the amount of dust in the air - it isn't pushing the dust into the intake. The Jet isn't too large for you shop.

Bob

Ralph Morris
12-06-2004, 7:49 PM
I was thinking about that..I had a box fan and stuck the filters on the front and one in back. Watching it do the work, it looks like it would do the same as those air cleaners. But one catch, intake is trying to collect the dust and the exhaust is keep pushing the air all around, all that 100% of the dust isn't reaching the filter. I thought if I cut a hole to fit the air cleaner in the wall and use the intake on the shop and exhaust in the other side of the room, make a vent on the wall somewhere where it would draw in "fresh" air, I'm thinking this would lower the air being push all over instead of into the intake.

Bart, she wouldn't let me build it bigger. She keeps telling me "see, u had build big things in that little shop, it works just fine"....:rolleyes:

David LaRue
12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Not sure were you live but, Menards here in the Midwest is having a wicked sale on these.

dave

Ralph Morris
12-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Dave, I'm going to check it out. I'm in Tinley Park, Illinois. Wish I could change that to the Location on my Joined Date.

Marshall Harrison
12-08-2004, 7:44 AM
Dave, I'm going to check it out. I'm in Tinley Park, Illinois. Wish I could change that to the Location on my Joined Date.
Ralph, you can edit your profile and set your location. Click on UserCP at the top of the forum then pick Edit Profile.

Mark J Bachler
12-08-2004, 8:05 AM
Not sure were you live but, Menards here in the Midwest is having a wicked sale on these.

dave

Me thinks I'll check that out. Gotta Mega store 25mi away in Rice Lake. Does Menards carry larger models?

David LaRue
12-08-2004, 8:21 AM
http://images.menards.com/weeklyad/20041128-20041212-27.jpg

http://images.menards.com/weeklyad/20041128-20041212-27.jpg

Ralph Morris
12-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Menards has a good price! I would stop in and see before the sale date is over.