PDA

View Full Version : Still More on Buying Stanleys off eBay

Tom LaRussa
12-05-2004, 9:26 PM
First a pre-gloat: I just snagged a #60 1/2 for $31.45 including shipping. Got out-sniped on a nice #18 though. Still, a good evening. :)

Speaking of buying planes off ebay, I have found a seller who seems to have an endless supply of Stanley users. So far tonight he has sold a #18, (the one I missed out on), as well as one each of numbers 3, 4, 5C, 5 1/2, 6, 7, and 78.

He has a 16, 78, and 220 all ending in the next few days, and just a little while ago he listed a 9 1/2, a 60 1/2, and an 80, plus an off-branded #4 copy.

Here's an url to his listings: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZoldtymeantiquesQQsorecordspe rpageZ25QQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

If that doesn't work, he goes by the name "oldtymeantiques."

Dennis McDonaugh
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
I've bought a couple of planes off him, both in good conditon. E-bay is about the only source of old tools I have. Don't know why, but Texas just isn't a good place for rust hunting.

Tom LaRussa
12-06-2004, 7:48 AM
E-bay is about the only source of old tools I have. Don't know why, but Texas just isn't a good place for rust hunting.
Yeah, pretty much the same down here in Florida. :(

Lumber costs an arm and a leg too. :mad:

Dennis McDonaugh
12-06-2004, 2:56 PM
I know what you mean. I can't believe how low mill prices are up north. Oh well, at least I don't own a snow shovel any more!

Tyler Howell
12-06-2004, 4:29 PM
I haven't looked hard but scored big time in 1) Old River towns and. 2)Farm land Antique shops. Buy in quantity, pay cash and you get good prices:D

Bob Hawley
12-06-2004, 5:25 PM
Have you tried the first Monday trade days at Canton? I have had good luck, as long as I stay out of the pavillions.Unclassified {old rusty things} tend to be in generally the Southwest corner of the place. Plan on 2 days to adequitly cover Canton.

Charles McKinley
12-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Bob,

Canton??? Ohio? Where What months?

Thanks,

Jerry Palmer
12-07-2004, 9:00 AM
Hi Bob,

Canton??? Ohio? Where What months?

Thanks,
I think he was referring to the big flea in Canton, TX, a way east of Dallas. Hmmm, I may try to check that one out one of these days.

Dan Gill
12-07-2004, 4:13 PM
First Monday at Canton, TX is not a bad place to look for planes and other hand tools. The good news is that there's a lot of stuff to choose from. The bad news is you have to walk past a lot of junk to find what you're looking for.

Tom LaRussa
12-08-2004, 1:32 PM
I just snagged a #60 1/2 for $31.45 including shipping.
Yesterday I snagged a nice Millers Falls #16 -- the equivalent of the Stanley #9 1/2 -- for just $17.21 including shipping. :eek:

So now I've got adjustable-mouth blocks in both regular and low angle, for a total cost of $48.66. :D

I already have a "modern" Stanley block that is nicely fettled. So I'll keep that one as my all around jobber and set the two new acquisitions for as fine a cut as they can make. That way the only time I have to futz with any of them is when I take the blades out to sharpen them.

Dennis McDonaugh
12-08-2004, 1:41 PM
Are you serious? I'd never get to Canton without LOML and it'd cost me a lot more than I'd ever save by finding a few rusty bargains! We went there once about 3 years ago and I had to make 6 trips to the truck.