PDA

View Full Version : Which Carbide Bandsaw blade is the best?

Eiji Fuller
07-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Im looking at my choices here for my new baby with 4 horses and 14" of resaw. Will need a 166" blade at 1"

Lennox Woodmaster CT for 120.00

Lennox Trimaster for 230.00

Laguna resaw King for about the same as the Trimaster.

Another thing to consider is the 3/4" ResawKing Deal for 2/150.00. Is 3/4" good for resawing. Will it drift on me since its 3/4 and not the 1"?

I was thinking the 3/4 should work and also be a good general purpose blade for cutting shallow curves.

I have used the Woodmaster CT and it cuts like butter. Im wondering just how smooth a cut the Trimaster and Resaw King can leave. Does the feed rate have to be alot slower to achieve that smoothness?

Thanks

Jamie Buxton
07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
The Resaw King is not really carbide. The Laguna folks now describe it as a "carbide alloy", with as much carbide in it as is compatible with their production process. I don't really understand what that means, but it is clear that it dulls much faster than a true carbide blade like the Woodmaster CT.

Here's a thread about my comparison of the Resaw King and the Woodmaster CT.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85218&highlight=Woodmaster

Eiji Fuller
07-19-2010, 2:08 AM
Jamie,
Thanks for the heads up on the Resaw Queen. I think I'll stick with the Woodmaster.
Any good 1/2" or 3/4" carbide blades out there? I know I can get the trimaster in those sizes but that's awful spendy for a BS blade.

Rick Markham
07-19-2010, 5:00 AM
Ya also have to weigh the fact that there isn't anyone that I know of that will sharpen the Trimaster blade.

I got a 1" Resaw King from Tito at laguna for an amazing price so I jumped on it, it might be worth PM'ing him to see if he can make you a deal. Mine was worth every penny I paid for it, and they will sharpen it for $50 bucks (which is 2/3rds of what I paid for a 132" blade :D)

I have never tried the Woodmaster but would love to hear what your thoughts are regarding them.

I'd get a 1" blade if I could, but mine is a dedicated resaw blade, and curves get cut with other blades.

Doug Shepard
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66446

Van Huskey
07-19-2010, 1:46 PM
First, get the widest blade the saw can properly tension, given carbide/stellite/bimetal blades need 20-25,000 psi, I usually get a blade one size down from the blade listed by the manufacturer as the widest it will handle to feel comfortable.

I have used all three blades now and my opinion is the WM requires too much post cut prep compared to the TM and the RK. The TM and RK cut equally well so it really becomes a matter of economics. Unless, it has changed the RK is stellite, similar to carbide and has some characteristics that are better and some worse than carbide. It is resists impacts better but doesn't last quite as long. It will outlast bi-metal but not carbide. IF someone resharpened TMs then it would be a better solution but with the 3-4 resharpenings you get with a RK it will be my resaw blade of choice until such time a reliable person to resharpen the TM is found.

Richard McComas
07-19-2010, 2:01 PM
I have the 1'' CT on my 24'' band saw. I thought it did a good job and left a fairly smooth cut. Then when Laguna had the 2 for sale on the 3/4'' Resaw King I jumped on that. The Resaw King gives me a smoother cut.

I thought the Resaw King's were carbide, thanks for the information on that.

jerry cousins
07-19-2010, 4:37 PM
i had been using a 1/2" trimaster for many years - then laguna had a special on the 3/4 resaw king - primarily resawing hardwoods/exotics - am finding the resaw king much superior - truer & smoother. i too thought it was real carbide. and btw laguna will sharpen a lennox trimaster - $45.00.
jerry

Bruce Page
07-19-2010, 4:50 PM
Eiji, I can only speak to the 1" Lennox Tri-Master C/T that I keep on my MM; it is a great blade. My blade length is around 150” and cost ~$130 as I recall. $230 seems high

Nelson Howe
07-19-2010, 8:07 PM
Anyone have experience with the 2 tpi? I thought it would be a better blade in a non-production situation, where I can resaw a little slower, and still be able to cut a bit of joinery on thinner stuff. I was also hoping to get a slightly smoother finish than with the 1.3.

Nelson

ed vitanovec
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I have the 3/4" Laguna resaw king and actually really like it. I don't have the driftmaster fence yet but my stock fence works really well with the resaw king. I'm glad I got the 2 for $160 delivered about a month ago. I don't have experience using the other brands you mention, I do recommend the Laguna Resaw King blade.

Regards!
Ed

Eiji Fuller
07-20-2010, 1:05 AM
Looks like I spoke harshly about the Laguna blade too quickly. I may give them a shout and see if they have any 3/4" blade left. I dont think I would ever pay the retail price though. jeesh thats pricey at 1.43/inch

Eiji Fuller
07-20-2010, 1:07 AM
Eiji, I can only speak to the 1" Lennox Tri-Master C/T that I keep on my MM; it is a great blade. My blade length is around 150” and cost ~$130 as I recall. $230 seems high

Bruce,

Where did you order your trimaster from?

Eiji Fuller
07-20-2010, 1:08 AM
Anyone been using the Timberwolf carbide blade?

dirk martin
07-20-2010, 2:15 AM
I use the Lennox Trimaster on my MiniMax 24" saw, too.
Been using the same blade for probably 3 years of heavy resawing.
Will probably try the Laguna blade next, just to compare.