PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable DP at Lowes. Yuck

Dan Karachio
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I noticed the new Porter Cable $299 drill press at Lowes today. I was not, not at all, impressed. In my book, my decision to go with the $299 Rigid was the right one if you are considering either of these tools. The Rigid is hands down a more quality tool for the money. Of course you can spend more for a more serious DP, but I think most home hobby types and even some pros don't need much more. The PC seemed cheap, rickety and of low quality almost everywhere you looked. Poor Delta and poor Porter Cable. They have been sold down the river.

Steve LeLaurin
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I noticed the new Porter Cable $299 drill press at Lowes today. I was not, not at all, impressed. In my book, my decision to go with the $299 Rigid was the right one if you are considering either of these tools. The Rigid is hands down a more quality tool for the money. Of course you can spend more for a more serious DP, but I think most home hobby types and even some pros don't need much more. The PC seemed cheap, rickety and of low quality almost everywhere you looked. Poor Delta and poor Porter Cable. They have been sold down the river.

I came to a different conclusion. I did quite a bit of research on DP's (Ridgid, PorterCable, Delta, Jet, Harbor Freight, Powermatic, etc.). After sorting features, fit/finish, price, etc. I ended up with the PC machine. Just put it up this past weekend and am delighted.

Seems to be fine quality, set up perfectly and accurately, everything spot-on perfect out of the box. Chuck is perfect with no discernable runout. Laser was perfect. Instructions were easy. I also used a 20% off coupon from Harbor F that Lowes honored, so I got it for around $250 net, the same price I could have gotten the Ridgid for. I wrestled with getting the Ridgid, but finally concluded that the PC seemed sturdier, had laser and light, has 1 HP vs 0.5 HP for Ridgid (I know that doesn't mean much), has an ever-so-slightly longer quill stroke by 1/4", and has gotten other good reviews. By the way, both (like just about all DP's and other tools) are made in China ... PC made by the Taiwanese factory for Rexon, and Ridgid (owned by Emerson) made by the Chinese/Taiwanese factory for TTI. When you stack them up side by side, they look remarkably similar. It is remotely possible that they were both made by the same factory.

To each his own ... I know I'm happy. Glad Dan likes his too.

Steve

Dave Lehnert
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I purchased a no-name drill press for $99 at a discount store. Floor model, 16 speed. It has cheap knobs. You have to use a shim to get the moter belts tight. But that drill press is 100% accurate. Amazing how accurate it is.

As far as the PC name. Anything you knew you need to forget about it and judge each PC tool on it's own. Since Black and Decker purchased PC looks like the DeWalt brand is going to be the upper end stuff with PC middle of the road brand.
Brand name means nothing today.

Will Overton
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Since Black and Decker purchased PC looks like the DeWalt brand is going to be the upper end stuff with PC middle of the road brand.

I think for things like drill presses you'll see Delta as opposed to DeWalt. Of course now that Stanley owns it all things could change.

Andrew Gibson
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
My father in law has a (I believe) WW2 era dewalt drill press in the basement. It belonged to his dad. He says it's mine any time I get a chance to take it. only problem is I'm in Tampa and He's in Boston.

I guess i'm not in the market for a new press :)

Karl Card
08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I had bought a benchtop drill press when i first started rounding up tools. Without spending an arm and a leg I just couldnt get the movement I needed in a bench top. I think it is called quill travel, not sure.

But I have mentioned this before and I do not like HF stuff but this floor model drill press is accurate, plenty of power and i gave under 50 bucks for it...

If I had the funds when looking for a dp I might have gone with a high end and actually powermatic has a nice dp floor model but I just cant spend the extra 750 bucks for it...

Phil Thien
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I looked at the PC press. The thing I didn't like about it was the depth stop design.

Specifically, they used a casting attached to the left side for the depth stop threaded rod to go through. This casting is attached with two machine screws.

When you reach the limit, the pressure from the nut on the threaded rod will shift the casting down. No matter how tight you crank those screws, that casting moves.

Steve LeLaurin
08-05-2010, 8:16 AM
[... the depth stop design ... a casting attached to the left side for the depth stop threaded rod to go through. This casting is attached with two machine screws.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... I wonder if PC has varied their designs. On my machine the depth stop collar looks to be made of cast iron, very dense and heavy, and is attached with two large machine screws with hex heads. Torqued tightly to the head frame, and solid as a rock.

Steve

Chris Kennedy
08-05-2010, 8:38 AM
As far as the PC name. Anything you knew you need to forget about it and judge each PC tool on it's own. Since Black and Decker purchased PC looks like the DeWalt brand is going to be the upper end stuff with PC middle of the road brand.

I couldn't agree more. I have a fair number of PC tools from before the switchover, and I think they're great. I have looked at some of the new ones, and some are the old tools in the new colors, some of the new ones seem fine, and some seem cheap.

Cheers,

Chris

Joe Leigh
08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I came to a different conclusion. I did quite a bit of research on DP's (Ridgid, PorterCable, Delta, Jet, Harbor Freight, Powermatic, etc.). After sorting features, fit/finish, price, etc. I ended up with the PC machine. Just put it up this past weekend and am delighted.
Seems to be fine quality, set up perfectly and accurately, everything spot-on perfect out of the box. Chuck is perfect with no discernable runout. Laser was perfect. Instructions were easy.
Steve

I agree with this assessment. I've had mine for a few months now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I thought the laser option was a gimmick but I have to admit it's come in very handy and was easy to set up.

Jesse Wilson
08-05-2010, 1:05 PM
I agree with this assessment. I've had mine for a few months now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I thought the laser option was a gimmick but I have to admit it's come in very handy and was easy to set up.

I wholeheartedly agree. I got mine for $220 out the door and it has served my purposes beautifully!

Jim Rimmer
08-05-2010, 2:12 PM
Since Black and Decker purchased PC looks like the DeWalt brand is going to be the upper end stuff with PC middle of the road brand.
According their website, they've got DeWalt, too. Just the tool companies they own are Stanley, Black & Decker, Bostitch, DeWalt, Delta, Porter Cable, Proto, and Mac Tools.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-05-2010, 3:58 PM
I wrestled with getting the Ridgid, but finally concluded that the PC seemed sturdier, had laser and light, has 1 HP vs 0.5 HP for Ridgid (I know that doesn't mean much),
Steve

Wow, my 16-1/2" floor standing Delta only has 3/4 horse...... And there is a huge difference between my 1/2 horse Craftsman table top and my Delta.

Phil Thien
08-05-2010, 8:54 PM
[... the depth stop design ... a casting attached to the left side for the depth stop threaded rod to go through. This casting is attached with two machine screws.

Hmmm ... I wonder if PC has varied their designs. On my machine the depth stop collar looks to be made of cast iron, very dense and heavy, and is attached with two large machine screws with hex heads. Torqued tightly to the head frame, and solid as a rock.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I've tried them in three Lowes stores. I even got a wrench and "cranked" the screws on one.

No matter how tight the screws were, they were no match for the force of the quill's rack and pinion. I was able to make the casting move up/down by adjusting the nuts on the depth gauge just below and just above the casting.

I was applying a decent amount of pressure, but not the most I've ever applied on a drill press.

The screws attaching the casting on the presses I've seen were hex-head socket cap screws. They required Allen wrenches.

Will Overton
08-05-2010, 9:07 PM
I was applying a decent amount of pressure, but not the most I've ever applied on a drill press.

Sounds like you need sharper bits.:D

I am missing something in this discussion. You say you can make the stop move by applying a lot of pressure. Once the stop bottoms out, why would you continue to apply pressure? Or, is it somehow flexing before it bottoms out?

Joe Leigh
08-05-2010, 9:31 PM
Here is a picture of the stop assembly

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/lj61673/New%20Saw/DSCN1753.jpg

I just snugged up the allen head machine screws and the cast iron stop assembly was rock solid. I guess if you stood on the quill you could get it to move but that's true for just about any type of connection short of welded. It really is a non issue.

Phil Thien
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
I just snugged up the allen head machine screws and the cast iron stop assembly was rock solid. I guess if you stood on the quill you could get it to move but that's true for just about any type of connection short of welded. It really is a non issue.

I by no means had to stand on the quill to get movement.

I struggled with passing-up on this model when recently shopping for a new press.

I liked it in every other regard.

Other presses tend to cast this directly into the head, or use a bracket that is an "L" and where the screws are in-line with the threaded rod (so no leverage that can move things out of whack).

I think it would have worked better if they had used flat-head screws. They're much less susceptible to allowing parts to wiggle.

George Heatherly
08-06-2010, 12:32 AM
When I looked at the photo of the drill press I wondered if the mating surfaces are machined or just cast. Perhaps there is something rough or even a foreign substance between the parts. I find it hard to believe that the socket head screws wouldn't hold the parts tight enough for any reasonable pressure on the drill press.