PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut Oak Burl

Gary Max
07-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Here's something new for me, I have been wanting to turn a few items with legs. This is my first. the wood is Chestnut Oak burl, she is 16 inchs across. Finish is High Gloss Polly shot with a HVLP.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
I must say Gary that is a beauty. That wood has a lot going on with it and I do like the feet.

Gary Max
07-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Bernie I can see them as a great sell point but they sure tie up a lot of time.
I plan on doing several items with feet and see how they do this year.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Well that sure is different! Really good looking wood! Love all the color variations! Nice work Gary!

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Very nice. The wood has a lot going for it, and the feet are a nice touch.

Gary Max
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Steve heres what she started out as---------------one heck of a burl

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow! Good to see you have a way to lift that monster!

John Keeton
07-19-2010, 6:47 AM
Gary, that sure is a hunk-o-burl!! You should get several nice turnings from that. If they all look as nice as this bowl, that is a huge score.

Have you given thought to only three feet? That way, it will always sit solid if it moves a little.

Baxter Smith
07-19-2010, 7:55 AM
Thats neat. I assume the engine hoist is how you got it out of the truck/trailer, or is there a faceplact already screwed onto the backside?;):)
I have only tried one bowl with legs and as John mentioned, used three. It has warped a bit but still doesn't rock!:)

Gary Max
07-19-2010, 8:08 AM
I need to make several more before I try a 3 legged turning----but it would be faster.
We rolled the Burl off a flat bed truck onto my driveway-----it dented and cracked the cement. That burl was green and very wet I would guess something around a 1k lbs. She is the largest whole Burl I have ever had.

William Hutchinson
07-19-2010, 8:39 AM
That bowl will hold someones attention viewing the interesting character of the Chestnut.

With a burl this size, how do you determine where to make cuts? It can't be haphazard and hope for the best. I envision it like a diamond cutter looking for the most exquisite form possible from the rough stone.

Gary Max
07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
There was some rotten wood on one side of the burl, which is very common. All I really did was cut out the bad stuff and then try to get my blanks out of it. I managed to get four blanks---two large and two smaller. Some of the smaller odd sized wood was cut into knife blanks and stored to dry. That may prove to be a waste of time, the wood is moving a bunch.

Karl Card
07-19-2010, 5:49 PM
Gary, that sure is a hunk-o-burl!! You should get several nice turnings from that. If they all look as nice as this bowl, that is a huge score.

Have you given thought to only three feet? That way, it will always sit solid if it moves a little.

+1 on the 3 feet