PDA

View Full Version : Thien baffle with Delta 50-760

Roger Jensen
07-18-2010, 9:07 PM
After looking around and copying a design I found on Phil's site I have completed a separator for my Delta DC.

I found the design I used posted by 'vawoodworker 84' on Phil's site. Do a search for his name and you'll see his detailed pictures. I liked the way he designed a system that sat on top of the container.

I had to extend the legs about five inches to fit it under the blower, so I used 1" copper pipe.

I used 5" snap pipe from HD for the system. I wanted to use 6", but when I saw how close the inlet and outlet were I decided to go with 5". Since the DC has a 5" port I assumed I wouldn't gain much be going with 6" on my separator

I also put in a narrow plexiglass window so I could see if it was getting full. As mentioned in other posts, static electricity is an issue with visibility, but not so much that I can't see when it is getting full.

I know a number of folks have posted about the Thien separator on this site so I thought I'd show you mine.

Roger

Dave MacArthur
07-19-2010, 2:10 AM
Looks good.
I sure wish someone with some test equipment would do some testing on this design vs. a cyclone... Basically it's just a two-stage DC using a less-than-optimized cyclone. The question is "how much less optimized?".

Everyone always reports "this thing really sucks!" about their setups, but unless someone measures the CFM at various static pressures, and the fines output out the back/filter side, no one really knows how well it works.

I like the Thien baffle setup, and I also have one of those Delta 50-760, so I'm interested. But boy I sure wish there was a gov't agency or standards that measured data on such things and published them!

Deb Malloy
07-19-2010, 8:56 AM
Great job. I need to get going on mine, hope it looks as good as yours.
Is that filter (Wynn ?) much shorter than the bag ? I could never add the 5" extension, I just make it now if I place it between the joists.

Phil Thien
07-19-2010, 9:20 AM
But boy I sure wish there was a gov't agency or standards that measured data on such things and published them!

Like I'd be able to afford that! :eek:

Curt Harms
07-19-2010, 9:23 AM
Looks good.
I sure wish someone with some test equipment would do some testing on this design vs. a cyclone... Basically it's just a two-stage DC using a less-than-optimized cyclone. The question is "how much less optimized?".

Everyone always reports "this thing really sucks!" about their setups, but unless someone measures the CFM at various static pressures, and the fines output out the back/filter side, no one really knows how well it works.

I like the Thien baffle setup, and I also have one of those Delta 50-760, so I'm interested. But boy I sure wish there was a gov't agency or standards that measured data on such things and published them!

I don't think it replaces a well designed cyclone. Compared to a single stage D.C. it's a huge improvement. Mine does a really good job on jointer/planer chips and T.S. sawdust. I haven't done enough sanding to evaluate separation on flour-sized particles but I suspect the flour sized stuff isn't separated all that well. For what the Thien baffle costs in materials & time, it's one of the all time bargains IMO. The plastic "cyclone lids" are notorious for reducing D.C. capacity. I wonder how putting the Thien baffle on the "suck side" of a D.C. affects capacity. I don't see any hit at all having the baffle on the "blow" side and keeping the filter cleaner longer goes a very long way toward maintaining "suck".

Roger Jensen
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think it approaches the efficiency of a cyclone, but of course my evidence is just annecdotal. I wanted to use a Super Dust Deputy, but I couldn't find a way to get it under the DC without raising it three feet or more - just too high.

My expectation for it is that it will work better than an off-the-shelf trash can separator. In my rather limited use I still have to clean the filter of light dust. I would anticipate a cyclone would be much better.

I think there is a lot of variation in everyone's home grown Thien baffles (for me it was a bit of an inexact science building one). Until he starts selling standard systems I think comparison to anything will be a challenge.

Roger

Ben Hatcher
07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Roger, Pretty nice setup. I did pretty much the exact same thing only with the super dust deputy. One thing that I noticed only because I made a similar error when I set mine up the first time is that I don't seen any disconnect or flex tube on the input side. You'll need some play in order to get the drum out from under the separator. That fixed pipe could make that a bit of a challenge. Otherwise, nice setup. Maybe you and I can do a pseudo scientific study of the efficacy of each set up. Start empty and clean, run a drum full, then compare filters.

Roger Jensen
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
You are right, I wish I would have thought about the disconnect on the inlet pipe. I have to loosen the radiator clamps on the wall to raise it enough to disconnect from the elbow.

Did you get a SuperDust Deputy under the DC? If so, I'd like to see a picture of it.

Roger

Lee Schierer
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I made a Thein Baffle for my older model Delta DC a while back. This weekend, I had extra time on my hands and decided to empty the DC. The usual indicator it needs emptying is the presence of accumulated saw dust in the filter bag. I noted that there was some, but not a lot, of dust in the bag. When I lifted the the blower and baffle off the 55 gallon drum it sits on I noted that the barrel was over have full of chips and sawdust, a significant improvement from the before baffle condition where the barrel would be less than one third full.

I've not noticed any decrease in performance but there is a notable increase in chip capacity before the dust starts bypassing the barrel and going directly into the filter bag. Also the dust that did accumulate in the filter bag was all fine dust and no chips.

Roger Jensen
07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for letting folks use your design - it was fun to build. One question I haven't seen addressed is where the "drop slot" should be relative to the end of the inlet pipe. Even on your web site the picture of your baffle appears to put it in two different places.

Do you have a rule about where the end of the inlet pipe should be and at what position it should be relative to the drop slot?

Thanks again,

Roger

Ben Hatcher
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Here's one I posted a while back. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=130771&d=1256216986 (note, the terrible framing job on that wall was NOT my doing.)

The input pipe isn't shown. It comes in from the right side, under the bag. My fixed joint was at the top. I had to untape and slide the cyclone up every time I had to dump the drum. To get more room, I ditched the cart and mounted the DC to the wall. That rattles like heck since it is an interior wall. I think version 3.0 will be a new stand with no bottom, or the original stand without the casters.

Phil Thien
07-19-2010, 3:11 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for letting folks use your design - it was fun to build. One question I haven't seen addressed is where the "drop slot" should be relative to the end of the inlet pipe. Even on your web site the picture of your baffle appears to put it in two different places.

Do you have a rule about where the end of the inlet pipe should be and at what position it should be relative to the drop slot?

Thanks again,

Roger

The incoming airstream should "land" about 1/4th to 1/3rd past the start of the larger diameter.

Bruce Wrenn
07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
It seems that most into a "numbers game." I don't care about numbers, only does it work, which mine does. I use it as a preseparator for my cyclone which is located at the back of the shop. I use my jointer and planer on the slab in front of the shop. I got tired of sending chips and shavings to the back, and then having to haul them back to the front for disposal. Just catch them in the can at the front. Google Phil Thein and look at my post over at NC Woodworker "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle" and you can how effective it is. Thank you Phil!