PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 8:16 PM
Never tried cottonwood before so went to the woods and cut a piece to try. Pretty stringy but not much of a problem
DNA soaked and when dried returned pretty easily.
The bowl is 11 1/4X4X1/4.
I liked the looks of it so I think I'll have to try some more cottonwood.
Good or bad, what do you think?
I told the wife the glare in her pictures sucked and she said to kiss it:eek: So not knowing how to use her camera I guess they will have to do.:)

bob svoboda
07-18-2010, 8:22 PM
[QUOTE=bobby lynn;1470368]
I told the wife the glare in her pictures sucked and she said to kiss it:eek:

Are you a newly wed??? The good news is that with a couple of more comments like that, you are not going to need an expensive colonoscopy:eek: :D Seriously though, I really like the bowl. I would be happy to turn wood that looks like that. Good job.

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 8:26 PM
Bob, been married for 34 years. She's had plenty of time to get used to that kind of stuff from me.

Baxter Smith
07-18-2010, 8:34 PM
Good looking bowl with some pretty wood. I have only turned a couple pieces of cottonwood, was green and pretty stringy. I'm looking forward to finish turning them. What did you use for a finish?

Dennis Ford
07-18-2010, 8:34 PM
The bowl looks great! You did a really good job getting a nice shape and smooth finish, its tough to do both on soft wood.
I turned down a chance at some cottonwood a couple of years ago but won't do that next time.

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 8:45 PM
Baxter, I used AO then buffed with Trip.,WD, and Ren. wax.

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 8:59 PM
Some really nice grain in that bowl!! And, a very nice form.

Seems a little darker than I thought it would. I have some in the barn, and buried a couple of pieces in some shavings to see if it will spalt. Have yet to turn any.

Baxter Smith
07-18-2010, 9:20 PM
Baxter, I used AO then buffed with Trip.,WD, and Ren. wax.
Thanks. It is one of my favorites. Guess thats why I liked it so much.:)

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 9:22 PM
I really like it. There's some pretty figure in there. I'll start looking for some cottonwood and hope it turns out as nice as that.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 9:31 PM
Bobby - that sure is a good looking bowl! Great size and I really like all the figure! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 9:52 PM
Bobby that is a great looking bowl. I am head for the farm this fall for some cottonwood. I never gave it a thought till I saw some of Curt Fullers and Mike Mahoney's turnings.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-19-2010, 1:04 AM
Very nice bowl Bobby, yes Cottonwood can be pretty, if you can get hold of the crotch of a large limb you will be amazed at the figure in it, it is worth to get it if you can.