PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hackberry

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 7:35 PM
Posted a question back in January about what size faceplate I needed with this 26" piece of spalted sugarberry. Was told I needed 6" oneway, so that is what I bought and used.
The bowl ended up 20"X6"X5/8.
AO,buffed with trip,WD and ren. wax.
I don't like the looks of the wood. More stained than spalted.
What do you folks think?

Dennis Ford
07-18-2010, 7:39 PM
I think it looks great.
It will take a lot of popcorn to fill it!

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 7:41 PM
Great job. I like the coloring in the piece, but I know what you mean about the spalting... You just never know how it's gonna turn out.

What are you going to do with a bowl that size?

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 7:43 PM
That's a heck of a big bowl! Very nice job on the form and finish! I like the grain and the coloring! Seriously - good looking bowl!

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 7:45 PM
David, the wife wanted it for a center piece for the dining room table. Table is 5'X12'.

Greg Just
07-18-2010, 7:46 PM
Beautiful! Makes that can of Sprite look tiny.

Don Alexander
07-18-2010, 8:04 PM
if youreally don't like i could store it for you :eek::D:D:D:D

Thomas Canfield
07-18-2010, 8:31 PM
Great job. It will definitely take a lot of popcorn, pine cones, or whatever to fill. What is the volume? Bet it goes 3 gal or more. I have not had the nerve yet to try anything that large a diameter, but did buy the needed pieces with the Powermatic to do the larger turning, just need a larger faceplate. I do have a large pecan slab/board that would be 24" diameter wall hanging and that would not require that large a faceplate.

Baxter Smith
07-18-2010, 8:39 PM
Big bowl! I know what you mean about the stained/dirty vs spalted look. I have done several pieces of maple from a wood pile, same tree, same length of time in the woodpile, but the results were completely different from piece to piece. Still looks good regardless!

bobby lynn
07-18-2010, 8:42 PM
Thomas, I turned a 23" piece of sycamore into a 18" bowl with 3" faceplate that came with 3520. Used 3" lag bolts and didn't have any problems so bet your faceplate and 24" pecan wouldn't be a problem.

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 9:07 PM
Bobby, I kind of like the coloring on the hackberry. And, that is a "family size" popcorn bowl! Nice work.

Matt Hutchinson
07-18-2010, 9:30 PM
Very nice! The big ones can be a little tricky, especially at the inside/bottom of the bowl with such low surface speed. But it looks like you did an awesome job.......congrats! As for the coloring, there can be good bit of variation in hackberry, and I think you just happened to get one without a lot of gray streaking throughout. In any case, I like it. Great work!

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
That turned out to be a beauty. Really nice looking wood.

bob svoboda
07-19-2010, 8:26 AM
Giant bowl. Nicely formed and I personally like the wood.

Jeff Nicol
07-19-2010, 9:40 AM
Now that is a heck of a bowl! Fill that with fresh baking powder biscuits and get out the butter and honey! Now this makes me want to get my bed extensions finished and put to work!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Posted a question back in January about what size faceplate I needed with this 26" piece of spalted sugarberry. Was told I needed 6" oneway, so that is what I bought and used.
The bowl ended up 20"X6"X5/8.
AO,buffed with trip,WD and ren. wax.
I don't like the looks of the wood. More stained than spalted.
What do you folks think?

Bobby that's a good looking bowl you made, it is real wood and showing it, also in a year or two you will like the bowl much better I do expect, as just about any wood gets a more mature color to the wood, at least around here they do look much better when they have been handled and and wiped and maybe got a slight oil wipe on them.
We were just comparing that yesterday when we had a couple of friends drop in, and we had a look at a Manitoba Maple bowl we have sitting on the kitchen table most times, it was just a very light color at first, when just turned, now it has mellowed to a golden color and all the grain and bark are now showing bright and the wood has settled and moved to a very nice shape, it does look much better now we find :D

Edward Bartimmo
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Bobby,

Nice bowl. I agree that the spalting in Hackberry isn't as nice as what you get in maple. It is more a blue / black staining. With few exceptions, any finish you apply is going to darken (yellow) the wood and darken the stain. I have found that the best way to compliment the spalting in Hackberry is to use a supper light finish so that you maintain the contrast of the almost white wood and the blue staining. Next time try thinning some Deft semi-gloss lacquer and then buffing. The wood looks and feels like ivory afterwards and the contrast is distinct between wood and spalt stain.

Good Luck
Edward

Allen Neighbors
07-19-2010, 6:00 PM
The shape looks perfect. The finish looks perfect. The size/thickness is great! And your orientation of the grain appears to be perfect. What more could one possibly ask??!! It's a winner all around. Why don't you just send that ugly old stained bowl to me and let me take care of it for you? :D
Only thing I could possibly find wrong with it is it's not on my table!!

Michelle Rich
07-20-2010, 7:14 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a blank that big! nice bowl,,hope you got a lot of little bowls out of it too..not just sawdust..