PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix water spots?

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 6:40 PM
I had one coat of Antique Oil on an urn and I wanted to check the volume. I stuffed a plastic bag in it and filled with water. Well...the bag had a hole and as I was pouring the water out to measure, the water that had leaked inside ran out the lip and down the side:mad:. This was just the first coat of finish. How can I fix the dull spots that got wet? Should I buff first or just add more coats? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wally Dickerman
07-18-2010, 6:46 PM
I suggest a light sanding or 0000 steel wool, then try the Beall buffing system. Tripoli and white dia....no wax, of course.

Wally

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 7:03 PM
Thanks Wally, I will do that this evening. It seems like it never fails...just about done and something happens.

Dennis Ford
07-18-2010, 7:22 PM
I can't help on the water spots but suggest using dried beans for checking volume, accurate enough for the job.

Wally Dickerman
07-18-2010, 7:25 PM
Thanks Wally, I will do that this evening. It seems like it never fails...just about done and something happens.

Richard, a better way to measure the inside volume of an urn is to use uncooked rice instead of water.

Wally

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 9:52 PM
I agree with you, Dennis and Wally, beans, rice even dry sand, but not water...especially when the bag leaks!! By the way Wally, I followed your advice. oooo steel wool, Buffed with tripoli and white diamond and applied the second coat of AO. Looks OK now, thanks for the suggestion.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Glad it worked out for you Richard. I got water spots on a vase that had a couple of coats of AO. I steel wooled it. Worked great.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 10:34 PM
One additional step - if you haven't already - is once the AO has cured for a week or so - apply some Renaissance wax as a final protective coating. It has been my experience that, unlike Carnuba wax, Renaissance does not show water spots or finger prints.

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Steve. I got some Renaissance Wax a couple of months ago and I've been using that for the final wax. One question, recently I read where someone recommended buffing with the carnauba wax first, followed with the Ren wax. Not sure if I understand the benefit of this way. Is this what you do, or do you go with Ren wax only?

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Richard, once I started using the Ren wax - that is all I use.