PDA

View Full Version : Big Cherry vessel

Jeff Nicol
07-18-2010, 6:19 PM
Well this one is not as big as Hutch's but it will do for now! I started on it a few days ago and got it mostly hollowed out today. It was some of the hardest cherry I have ever turned! It was cut from a three trunked tree that grew at the corner of a farm field. It had died early this spring so the farmer cut it down and tossed it behind the barn for fire wood. Some of the chunks I got are 22-24" across. The one I am working on here had some ant damage but I will try and fill it with something fun. It is just under 20" tall and I am down to 17" inside. The three trunks all started to branch off or end in this piece, so it came a couple feet below the crotches. The rest of the trunk is still standing about 8' high and is about 34" at the base. I had to make a quick inside tool rest to get deep enough without much chatter. I made a video of some of it, so I hope to get it produced and posted one of these days.

Here it is so far.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 6:30 PM
Looks like it is going to be quite the vase Jeff! Are you planning to add a lid to it also?

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 6:42 PM
That's huge! I envy you guys that get access to cherry... What a beautiful wood. I'd be out there hacking away at that 8 foot section that's still standing!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

William Hutchinson
07-18-2010, 7:02 PM
That looks like the beginnings of something spectacular. I hope you'll photo the complete process.

charlie knighton
07-18-2010, 7:17 PM
thanks for sharing Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
07-18-2010, 7:43 PM
Hard for me to even imagin doin' what you do, Jeff! I'm not there yet! But I am looking forward to seeing this beautiful HF finished!

Harv

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2010, 8:24 PM
Hey JN... where'dja get that bitchin' bowl steady? I'd like to get me one of those!

Baxter Smith
07-18-2010, 8:31 PM
Looks like fun. Hope to see the finished piece!

Thomas Canfield
07-18-2010, 8:58 PM
Looking good so far. You are getting down there and I feel for you going the remainder of the way. How come your steady rest is not mustard color like mine out of your shop? A friend made me a flat bar rest to go inside for deeper hollowing and I added a couple of bolts at end to guide the boring bar. A pivoting yoke that could slide up and down your bar might be a consideration to give you a stable holding point. Have you thought about a laser for thickness control? I have seen them on someof the captured hollowing systems, but have not tried to add one to my hand held bar, but then I turn the bar and it would mess up the thickness measurement.

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 9:03 PM
Jeff, that is one BIG vase/vessel!! But, I know you can do it, and do it well! You need to post some follow up pics as you get a little closer on this one.

Matt Hutchinson
07-18-2010, 9:22 PM
Hey Jeff, looks like you got a nice one shaping up! Glad you have a chance to get back to making wood shavings, not just metal shavings. :D I like the hexagonal boring bar. I will have to keep that in mind for the next hollowing tools I make. Can't wait to see more pics!

Hutch

P.S. When are you gonna harvest the root ball? :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Jeff that is going to be a great one.

Jeff Fagen
07-18-2010, 11:14 PM
I saw that piece on Wed.and I asked Jeff if the hollowing would take long.
He said"not long at all".:cool:
Hey Jeff I got my steady rest finnished tonight.
I cant wait to try it out,thanks for your help.:D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Good looking vase so far Jeff, waiting to see the end result :-)))

Allen Neighbors
07-19-2010, 1:36 AM
I like the hexagonal boring bar. I will have to keep that in mind for the next hollowing tools I make.
Hutch

Whew!! Hexagonal boring bar.... Man! I thought for a minute there that he'd gotten mad for some reason and was going to shoot the bottom out of it!
I thought sure that was an old Sharps .50 cal! :eek::D

Great turning, Jeff!! I want to see the finished product, also.

Jeff Nicol
07-19-2010, 9:25 AM
David, It is almost ready for primer!!! Patience is not my best trait either!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
07-19-2010, 9:36 AM
I think the best thing about hollowing out big cherry wood is that I end up with lots of curls for my smoker!!! I love to use cherry for venison and catfish, it also does wonders for chicken on the grill too. I have a little steel pot that sits down in the grill to hold some shavings and the smoke just fills the grill and the rest is history!! Right in my belly!

Thanks for all the kind words, I love the smell of cherry and the not ever knowing what will be inside when you get there.

Like I said this is some very hard cherry and the grain kind of twists around inside. I was doing good with the 5/8" bar but a little to much vibration so I whipped up the hex bar to add another big tool to my collection. It needs a handle so that will be next or maybe it will get ignored like lot of others!

I will keep you posted on the progress, and Steve I was thinking of a lid for it but not sure what shape to go with. I was thinking something with an oriental feel to it. I had one of my best customers over yesterday to drop off a small horse figurine that I am going to decorate with wood for a charity auction to benefit disabled people who have interests in horses. She was oohing and aahing and wanted to buy up half the shop, and she said the oreintal idea was a winner, and it may end up in her collection!

Thanks again all for the encouragement.

Have a woody day!

Jeff

David E Keller
07-19-2010, 3:09 PM
I was thinking something with an oriental feel to it...
Jeff

I like the idea, Jeff. I can see a square lid with curved wings on the top of that form. That would definitely give it an Asian flair.

Rob Cunningham
07-20-2010, 1:02 PM
Looks like a lot of fun hollowing that out. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Roland Martin
07-20-2010, 1:13 PM
That is a Mega Vessel:eek:. Can't wait to see this done. Thanks for posting Jeff.