PDA

View Full Version : Auction Finds

George Sanders
07-18-2010, 5:46 PM
Had some luck at a couple of auctions this weekend. I got a Stanley Bell system 10" brace for two fifty. A Stanley #7 for twenty bucks. I gave thirty five for a flat of misc. that had 2 dowell makers. I got a Siegley 5C for $35, it has a Stanley tightening knob. The biggest expense was the large 24" frame saw at $55. I also got a carpenters box for 17 and two handfuls of Disston saws for 9 bucks each. A D.R. Barton #14 drawknife for 11, a small spoke pointer , couple of bits, and a spokeshave for 5 bucks.
After months of unproductive rust hunts I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Steve Sheehan
07-18-2010, 7:13 PM
George ,
Kinda funny . I got home and checked out the Creek and saw this post . I was the guy who ran up the bid on the #7 at the auction ! My limit was $20 on that old plane and you beat me there .

George Sanders
07-18-2010, 7:49 PM
I would have gone thirty on it but no more. Yesterday there were 3 froes that they were selling together. An antique dealer and high school classmate blitzed me right out of the bidding. You have no friends at auctions.

Jim Koepke
07-18-2010, 7:58 PM
Jack pot indeed! Let me be the first to offer up one great big YOU SUCK!! :D

The #7 looks in a little better shape than the one I got for a buck and a quarter more. Yours looks to be a type 9. Can't really tell from the angle of the picture, but the lever cap looks like it could be newer.

Those saws also look pretty nice. I just ripped a couple of 8' boards with an old D-7 and was telling my wife that it is easier to do by myself that way than to use the little band saw alone.

Hope my next rust hunt goes so well.

jim

George Sanders
07-18-2010, 8:26 PM
The top 2 saws are thumb hole rip and are 5 and 5 1/2 tpi. I can read the etch on four of them. The #4 is 28" long. While I have brought the etch up on an old saw, this is the first time I bought any with the etch visible.

Jim Koepke
07-18-2010, 8:54 PM
You have no friends at auctions.

What's really bad is when your wife is bidding against you! :eek:

Especially if she won't share if she wins.

And then she has to borrow money from you to pay for it!

jim

George Sanders
07-18-2010, 9:20 PM
Jim, is your wife moonlighting for the auction company?:rolleyes:

Rick Markham
07-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Man, that looks like a great auction! I second Jim's YOU SUCK!!!

Great grabs... next time don't tell your friends about it :D

harry strasil
07-18-2010, 11:52 PM
them thumbholes haven't been sharpened away either, look almost full width

George Sanders
07-19-2010, 6:40 AM
They are full width Harry. I'm going to start sharpening today. I have another 5 point that is sharp and it cuts like a champ.
I haven't found any name on the bow saw yet. I know some people use a piece of bandsaw blade for these but I would like to find a source for blades that won't break the bank.

Jim, the #7 doesn't have a frog adjustment on it so it must be an early one. I also bought a #5 frankenplane that had a kidney shaped chip breaker on it. Otherwise it is in pretty good shape with a nice tote and high front knob. It has a frog adjuster like the Bedrocks do.

The things I posted are from 3 different sales. Last week a small Stanley went for a whopping $140. Everyone thought it was a #1, but at 7 1/2" long it couldn't have been a #1.