PDA

View Full Version : Font help Arial MT Normal

James Jaragosky
07-18-2010, 3:21 PM
Font help Arial MT Normal
I Picked up a job helping out a local business that builds equipment. They had a fire and lost their laser. They need some signs for Monday to make their delivery schedule. The owner has hinted if I can get the job done right he would like to skip purchasing another laser and pass the work on to me.

My problem is that the file is in pdf format, when I open it with Corel I get a message that AerialMT Normal not found, Will replace it with AerialMt western.

Research on the web has left me slightly confused. Can someone tell me if there a difference between AerialMt Normal and ArialMT or AiralMt western.
And if so where can I download AirialMt Normal( I am Willing to purchase the font).

Best Regards
Jim J.

Lee DeRaud
07-18-2010, 4:28 PM
Can someone tell me if there a difference between AerialMt Normal and ArialMT or AiralMt western.Unless they're using nonstandard naming, "ArialMT" is a font name, "Normal" is a style (as opposed to "Bold", "Italic" etc), and "Western" is a character set. Which means that "ArialMT", "ArialMT Normal", and "ArialMT Western" should all be the same thing unless you need some foreign characters.

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2010, 5:07 PM
Did you try the import option to open with text as paths?

Arial MT is just a postcript version of Arial. MT-Monotype=owner of copyright.

I'd want to see a sample for comparison, because there is narrow, regular, bold, and all of those compressed. Normal could mean regular but I'd be sure before running it.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-18-2010, 7:01 PM
They are visually identical other then Arial has more individual font characters (symbols & accented Latin characters) then Adobe's Arial MT. When I do an engraving job, "close enough" does not meet my standards if I don't have the font a customer is requesting. In this case, I would not have an issue using Arial instead of Arial MT.

Here is a sample to show the difference. Arial MT is in red.

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2010, 7:28 PM
Seems like he could send you the ttf file for the font he wants.

Frank Corker
07-18-2010, 7:51 PM
Try adding this one and see if it works.

James Jaragosky
07-18-2010, 7:53 PM
Seems like he could send you the ttf file for the font he wants.
Thanks Everyone, your help is greatly appreciated. I learned something rather than have someone do it for me and that is always the best way as far as I am concerned.
I have the font straightened out. They are happy with Arial MT. they agreed with you guys that they are all almost identical.
the next challenge.
I have never rastered multi-layered acrylic before. I will just jack up the sped and do light passes until I get a clean burn through. Unless you guys suggest differently.
Thanks again for the help.
Jim J.

Dan Hintz
07-19-2010, 6:01 AM
I suggest running test squares... you'll use up only a few square inches of material (using a strip of 1/4" squares like I do), and you'll know the exact power you need.

James Jaragosky
07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I suggest running test squares... you'll use up only a few square inches of material (using a strip of 1/4" squares like I do), and you'll know the exact power you need.
Dan I have exactly zero extra material for this job.
I have no experience rastering vectors and I am finding it a challenge to learn in the short time frame allotted. the file that was sent has a border broken into 6 segments that my laser software dose not like. if I weld them together in Corel draw and save them as a DXF the show up as segmented in the laser software anyway.
and other assorted issues. I am running a test on some birch as I type this I will post later.
jim j