PDA

View Full Version : Vessel with threaded lid

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 1:29 PM
I made this a while back. Bradford Pear. C & C welcome.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/058-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/059-1.jpg

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2010, 1:42 PM
That's nice! I love the threaded "stopper". I'm working on some "stoppered bottles" but plan to make the stoppers tapered. Any chance you might want to share how you cut the threads?

Roger Chandler
07-18-2010, 1:46 PM
Exceptional!!!

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 2:10 PM
Really nice, Richard!! The pear really shows well. What wood did you use for the collar and lid? And, like David, I would like a little tutorial on the thread cutting.

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 2:20 PM
Thanks, Dave and Roger. On this piece the threads are from ABS threaded fittings. Here is an article on the process;http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2010, 2:22 PM
Blimey! ABS?!?! Never in a dozen lifetimes would I have thought of that!

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 2:29 PM
Thank you, John. I did this last year, but I think the lid is cherry, dyed black. The collar is ABS plastic like the threads.

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 2:53 PM
What a great idea! The end result looks good, and thanks for posting the link.

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 3:25 PM
I just realized I'm calling it ABS. this is actually PVC, grey stuff used for electrical conduit. I tried finding ABS (the black stuff) and every place I tried said they no longer carry it because of building codes. I was told ABS emits harmful fumes if burned??? Seems PVC fumes wouldn't be too good either. Wish I could find a local source for the black ABS.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 3:49 PM
Richard that looks great. Like the threaded lid. I bought the sorby threaders after watching Mike Mahoney thread some Urn lids. I am going to give it a go and see what happens. He uses 16 tpi which is what I got.

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 4:07 PM
Bernie,
I have Mike's video also on Hollow forms and Urns. I bought the Ray Iles chasers, but I'm far from having them mastered. This method of using threaded PVC fittings is nice, but I think threading wood exhibits a little more craftsmanship.

Dennis Ford
07-18-2010, 7:32 PM
quote "I think threading wood exhibits a little more craftsmanship"

Maybe so but this looks good and will hold up as well if not better.
The hollow form and lid look great, that they are theaded together is an added bonus.

William Hutchinson
07-18-2010, 7:52 PM
Great looking piece. Thanks much for the threading tip, that's one I need to remember.

Greg Just
07-18-2010, 7:58 PM
Very nice vessel. This threaded lid idea was demonstrated on Tim Yoder's Woodturning Workshop a few years ago.

Thomas Canfield
07-18-2010, 8:39 PM
The bradford pear looks nice, and the trick with the threads is fantastic. I don't think that I want to ever try to make wood threads, but plastic may be something to try. Thanks.

Brian J. Elliott
07-18-2010, 10:25 PM
It looks Great!

I'm not sure about your area, but every Lowes I've ever been into has ABS pipe and fittings in their plumbing department.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Really nice work Richard! Great looking hollow form! Very pretty wood and the form is spot-on! Cool idea of a way to thread a form! Saved to my favorites just in case I feel adventurous one of these days!

Thanks for sharing!

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 10:33 PM
I live in St. Charles County, Missouri and every place I checked here in St. Chas., St. Louis, and two other neighboring counties had the same story. White or grey PVC, yes, black ABS, NO. I know it's still available, just check the internet, just not around here.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I made this a while back. Bradford Pear. C & C welcome.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/058-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/059-1.jpg

Nice piece Richard, I thought you might have used plastic tread parts seeing the nicely tapered starting thread and the full thread on the lid, but still was wondering that you might have used Ebony or such, you did a nice job of fitting the pieces in there, thanks for showing :cool:

Allen Neighbors
07-19-2010, 1:24 AM
I just realized I'm calling it ABS. this is actually PVC, grey stuff used for electrical conduit. I tried finding ABS (the black stuff) and every place I tried said they no longer carry it because of building codes. I was told ABS emits harmful fumes if burned??? Seems PVC fumes wouldn't be too good either. Wish I could find a local source for the black ABS.

Awesome form, and craftsmanship, Richard!!
Did you somehow die the grey plastic, or did you just leave it the original color?? It looks Black, in your photos...

Richard Madden
07-19-2010, 9:19 AM
Awesome form, and craftsmanship, Richard!!
Did you somehow die the grey plastic, or did you just leave it the original color?? It looks Black, in your photos...

Allen,
The plastic is grey, maybe bad photos. I wish it was black. I thought about dying black, but I was afraid it would harm the plastic or wear off the threads. Thanks for your comments

charlie knighton
07-19-2010, 9:37 AM
thanks for sharing Richard, i like the how to pictures also