PDA

View Full Version : questions

Charlie Reals
07-18-2010, 1:00 PM
I am doing some laminated Maple salad bowls. I have went a little thin for laminated on a couple. I understand from a former thread I need to keep it 3/8 or better. Is that a general thought?

I found out mineral oil and beeswax bleeds oil lol and walnut doesn't. The wife gave me a bottle of very expensive walnut oil, will that work.
We be in wine country so I get the good stuff:cool:
Charlie

Al Wasser
07-18-2010, 2:07 PM
IN my experience, maple does not suck up much of anything except on some end grain. Mineral oil is non drying while walnut will dry albeit slowly. It's your call but I'd just rub what ever on, let it set for a couple hrs and then rub it off. That is about what will happen when the get salad dressing on the wood.

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2010, 3:59 PM
Charles the walnut oil from Mahoney will cure with ambient sunlight. I have found store bought walnut oil does not dry like mineral oil won't. I leave my salad bowls as a preferance about 3/8" to 1/4". If to thin and accidently dropped it will crack or crack into pieces. Don't ask me how I know.:mad: My first set of six I made 4 1/2 yrs ago that we used 3 or 4 times a week is now a set of 3. All I have made since are thicker.

Charlie Reals
07-18-2010, 4:54 PM
Ahhhhh my mind is intact lol, I knew I got that 3/8 figure somewhere. thanks Bernie.
I turned a 10 x 3 1/2 and took it way thin for functional. I use some mineral oil and beeswax mix now just to moisten the wood.
Charlie