PDA

View Full Version : Chinese laser

Mike Christen
07-18-2010, 8:42 AM
I have a friend who bought a Chinese laser and the laser won't fire. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly. The instructions are next to useless for trouble shooting or seeting it up for that matter, any tip on what to check. this is a link to the one he bought on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-laser-engraving-cutting-machine-SM-3040-engraver-/180533952448?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a08a97fc0 anyone using one of these?

Tube seems good no cracks at least.

James Jaragosky
07-18-2010, 2:46 PM
As with any laser, he should check that all the safety switches are working properly. This would be my first guess as to what is wrong. After that he should check to see if the power supply is working properly.
He could have gotten a better deal on a laser if he had done his research or even read past posts here. For what he paid he could have gotten a Chinese laser form a local distributer with support.
Ask him to check the above mentioned and let us know what he finds out. We can work from there.
Jim J.

Everett White
07-18-2010, 8:22 PM
I purchased a laser from Jamison Laser about a year and a half ago. Turns out the first one had a bad controller board. The machine went through all the motions except for the laser not firing. Jamison replaced it with no problems.

I did notice a couple of the wires were loose in the connectors while we were troubleshooting. I suggest tug on all of the wires (with the machine unplugged) to make sure everything is tight. Then double check all the "safety" sensors as James Jaragosky mentioned.

Mike Christen
07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Well he got the laser to fire, seems he had to rotate the tube approximately 45 degrees. Not sure why that would be required but it fixed that problem. Wow, the instructions for this machine is really useless, does not tell u much of anything besides the obvious. Oh well, after seeing it I sure am glad I have my epilog :D.

He has a definite learning curve in front of him. I was able to get it to vector cut some letters from corel so got him started. Stencils is his main use for now I think.

Thanks for the info, I told him to join the creek, it is the best and most knowledgeable forum on the net, bar none.

Dan Hintz
07-21-2010, 7:49 AM
Mike,

If he had to rotate the tube to get it to fire, it's probably not long for this world (unless it's a faulty connection outside of the tube, always a good possibility). He may want to keep that in mind before taking on a lot of work...

Mike Christen
07-21-2010, 8:49 AM
Hi Dan

He got this information (rotate tube to a certain position) from the manufacture. I'm curious what position the tube is in would effect it working or not working and how it would be an indication of its life expectancy.

On a side note when cutting vectors there is a gap between the start point and the end point so the vector does not completely cut out. the uncut area is approximately 1/32". Does anyone have any ideas on whats causing this??

Viktor Voroncov
07-21-2010, 8:57 AM
He got this information (rotate tube to a certain position) from the manufacture.
I love China :). We have joke here that together with purchase of chinese laser you must buy also tambourine. If something happened unusual - you just play tambourine dancing around laser and very often problem dissapeared :)
Sorry for offtopic

Mike Christen
07-21-2010, 9:11 AM
Hey Viktor

I will tell him to buy a tambourine and take a dance class, any particular song? :D:D:D

Viktor Voroncov
07-21-2010, 9:18 AM
Mike, peoples of my nationality usually sing KALINKA :) very interesting what Americans sing in this case :) something from country ?

Larry Bratton
07-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Mike, peoples of my nationality usually sing KALINKA :) very interesting what Americans sing in this case :) something from country ?
Yes..a COUNTRY SONG..."A TEAR IN MY BEER" by Hank Williams

paul mott
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Mike

On a side note when cutting vectors there is a gap between the start point and the end point so the vector does not completely cut out. the uncut area is approximately 1/32". Does anyone have any ideas on whats causing this??

Sounds to me like the tube is not firing up quick enough at the start of the vector cut. ( Perhaps Dan is right and the tube is not long for this world ).

Paul.

Viktor Voroncov
07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Dan

IMHO something wrong with belt tension/motors, calibration. You have perfect file, but during real lasering motion mistake appear due mechanical reasons.

Dan Hintz
07-21-2010, 3:40 PM
Hi Dan

He got this information (rotate tube to a certain position) from the manufacture. I'm curious what position the tube is in would effect it working or not working and how it would be an indication of its life expectancy.
If twisting the tube to a different orientation got it to fire, that screams broken wire to me... if it's just in the connecting cables, that's easy enough to fix. If it's the connection leading through the glass envelope, it's only a matter of time before it breaks completely and the tube is toast.