PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 513 bandsaw tires?

alex grams
07-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I was working on the bandsaw resawing some 8/4 oak and had the bandsaw tire on the lower wheel come off. I know these are things that will eventually happen, but are there any root causes I should be aware of?

-Too much tension on the blade? (was running a 1" resaw king at about tension 6)

-Lower wheel possibly out of alignment causing the blade to ride unevenly which could cause the tire to get pushed out?

-Just natural wear and tear?

I typically detension the bandsaw blade when not in use. I knew something was odd when I was having a problem with a blade on there and trying to adjust the fence for drift. I couldn't get the fence set and kept getting drift when doing test cuts. Then when I thought I had it set up and ran a full piece through, it started drifting bad and then the wheel came off.

I ordered a replacement tire through grizzly, not sure if they are rubber or urethane, anyone know? The original i am guessing is rubber. They advertise the tires on the 513x2 now as polyurethane, and the part number I was told was changed from the old models to the new models, so I am hoping they are poly. Anyone confirm?

Any info would be helpful, this is a new occurrence for me. Things i should know for putting the new tire on?

Dan Karachio
07-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Call Grizzly and ask - most of just make crap up here you know! :D

Seriously, there are a few things to look at. Does your current wheel have a built in crown to it? It doesn't take much, so please look closely. I am betting it does. If so, you can use urethane. If not, please just ask Grizzly about it. Their tech support people are very good. I just don't want you dealing with rubber unless absolutely required. It is kind of a pain. They need to be glued on, then sanded down to form the crown. I have done this with old saws and it is never something I will look at as a good time.

alex grams
07-18-2010, 9:56 AM
Dan, the wheels do have crowns on them. The customer service lady also said the parts are consolidated now into one part number when I gave her the part number for the tire. I am guessing since the new 513's have poly wheels that they got rid of the rubber original wheels alltogether and only provide poly now.

Do you have to heat the poly in water before you put it on the wheel?

glenn bradley
07-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Dan, the wheels do have crowns on them. The customer service lady also said the parts are consolidated now into one part number when I gave her the part number for the tire. I am guessing since the new 513's have poly wheels that they got rid of the rubber original wheels alltogether and only provide poly now.

Do you have to heat the poly in water before you put it on the wheel?

I don't know about actual manufacturer's parts as far as putting the wheels on. The after market urethane wheels that went on dad's 14" went on pretty easy with a soak in some warm (pretty warm but not quite hot) water.

I'm wondering if the failure happened after a long sawing session? Could the wheels have over heated?

alex grams
07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
it was on/off sawing, nothing particularly long. The blade takes a good bit of thrust while resawing through 7" takk 8/4 oak. Could the backer bearings which hold the blade forward have been too far back allowing the blade to move too much on the wheels?

When the blade came off it came forward and sawed through a little of the cabinet door. It wasn't a violent incident which caused any noticable damage to the blade, but i did notice that the blade vibrated quiet a bit when it was coming off.

Mikail Khan
07-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Examine the tire. It may have cracks.

The new tires from Grizz are Polyurethane. The poly tires have to be heated in water. Ask Grizz tech support to email the instuctions.

The tires I got for my 19" BS had a diameter of about 16". Even with the preheating they were not easy to put on.

I took my wheels off to change the tires.

MK

Myk Rian
07-18-2010, 1:37 PM
Terminology:
Wheels are the round castings.
Tires are rubber or urethane, that fit on the wheels.

Usually, heating the tires in 140° water for several minutes will soften them enough to stretch over the wheels. Wear gloves and have a helper. I have used a dull, 1" putty knife to make it easier.

Jeff Bosworth
08-06-2010, 7:38 AM
I have a Grizzly 0513 that is about 3 years old. Sadly, I don't get to use it much. But last night I really needed it. I went through the usual routine of checking everything on it and finally set the tension. I turned it on in anticipation of cutting two fairly intricate pieces for a bass ukulele I'm building.

Once it got up to speed there was a sudden noise in the top of the machine and the blade went slack - I shut it down fast. I opened the door and found that not only had the blade come off but the tire had, too :eek:. It was very easy to put the tire back on the wheel - too easy. I turned it on again and noticed as it spun that the tire was really loose at the bottom of the wheel and it eventually popped off again. I did have tracking adjusted, by the way.

I assume it's time for a new tire so I ordered two from Grizzly. The ones I have are yellow plastic, the new ones are supposed to be gray(?). I'm thinking I'll replace both tires. We have had some really hot days for quite a while - would that be the cause for the tire to become so loose? Is it because it sits idle too long? What else could cause such a condition?

Thanks...

russell lusthaus
08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow, this seems too coincidental to me. It was my intention to post the same problem today, as last nite the top tire on my 513 also just slid off the wheel - no warning, just slipped off.

I put it back, but it came off again in two secs of no load run time.

I had two Q - why would this happen all of a sudden - and, should I replace the tires with Grizzly replacement parts or get something else?

russell lusthaus
08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Just to follow up - i called Grizzly and spoke with someone in tech support. He told me he had never never heard about this kind of problem before - throwing blades, yes, throwing chunks of tires, yes, but the tires just slipping off, no.

We speculated that maybe it was due to the fact that I never release the tension my blades, but I somehow doubt that.

Anyway, it made sense, since the machine worked fine prior to throwing tires, that I should begin to trouble shoot by first replacing the tires.

I am happy to report that after replacing both tires last nite, so far, the machine works perfectly. I have no reason to suspect any problem, but I will not relax till a few working sessions go by without incident.

Still no good explanation as to why the tires would wear out so quickly - as I bought my machine new in 2006. That said, Grizzly replacement tires went on quick and easy.

Mark Levitski
08-24-2010, 8:50 PM
We recently blew the top tire on our G0457, which is only a few years old. The OE tire seemed OK w/ very little wear. Only reason I can figure is it became loose on the wheel. It was black and not sure if rubber or pu. We ordered new aftermarket ones, but not from Grizzly. They are the orange pu 1" X 14". Went on well and are working great. Methinks there is a minor problem w/ Grizz tires.