PDA

View Full Version : jointer question

paul wiser
07-17-2010, 10:33 PM
want to purchase a jointer, but i'm not sure. need to joint some glued up strips about 6 wide x 9 long. is this too short to safely joint? was looking at a grizzly 6" unit

Myk Rian
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM
want to purchase a jointer, but i'm not sure. need to joint some glued up strips about 6 wide x 9 long. is this too short to safely joint? was looking at a grizzly 6" unit
Yes, too short. Joint a long board, plane it, then cut the pieces.

Greg Labacz
07-18-2010, 7:37 AM
because of a small shop i got the grizzly 6" bench top jointer and love it .:D:D:D

Jay Allen
07-18-2010, 8:40 AM

I would have to completely disagree with this. Jointing a long board when you need short pieces wastes wood, especially if it is not pretty straight to begin with. Also, you can really only straighten a board that is about the same length as your infeed table.

You didn't say whether you are talking about edge jointing or face jointing?

Myk Rian
07-18-2010, 9:04 AM
Also, you can really only straighten a board that is about the same length as your infeed table.
You can't be serious.
Are you saying it was impossible for me to joint 6 and 8 foot boards, after I have already done it?

John Coloccia
07-18-2010, 9:16 AM
9" is definitely pushing it. It's easy to dip the front going over the cutter and get a nasty kickback. What's worse, there's no wood between you and the cutter anymore. This is where having some hand tools and knowing how to use them really comes in handy!

Brian Penning
07-18-2010, 9:20 AM
You can joint the 9" length easily by using a push-block and taking light passes.
And yes I've done it.

glenn bradley
07-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Also, you can really only straighten a board that is about the same length as your infeed table.

I'm throwing in a caution flag on this information gentlemen :).

1- I agree that 9" is too small for a larger jointer. The manual for my jointer states a minimum length of 12" and I have done parts a bit shorter but would not recommend it. The benchtop I owned set the minimum at 8" and I notice that Grizzly's benchtop sets it at 10". Push pads are advised.

2- A jointer is perfectly capable of milling lumber longer than the tables. The machine uses the outfeed table as the registration point after the cut. The infeed table provides support of your work as you approach the cutting area. There can be some control issues if your piece arcs towards the floor past the beginning of the infeed but this is hardly a show stopper. As mentioned, the closer to final size you pieces are, the less impact of any irregularities while jointing.

JMHO and worth every cent you paid for it :D

Frank Drew
07-18-2010, 11:45 AM
I had a 12" jointer and wouldn't worry too much about jointing a 6" wide x 8-9" long piece (with most of my fingers hooked over the top edge of the fence to the back side); shorter than that, or much narrower, I'd just joint with a hand plane.

But if a woodworking operation looks dangerous, whatever it is, don't do it until you can figure out a way to do it safely and comfortably.